Travel brush

rum

We don't often hear about travel sized brushes so seen as I am probably going to get a new one soon, I thought I'd ask some specific questions regarding travel brushes.

- Do you have / use one?

- What is the best type of travel brush? Don't mean type of hair but more about the style of travel brush - one that can screw back on to the top or lid of a container/tube, or a small brush that simply fits into a container/tube?

- Which is the best make of brush for travel?

Discuss!

I have 2 travel brushes.

I have a Simpson Case in Best Badger, this comes surprisingly enough in a case. It's a good brush just not my favourite.

My favourite travel brush is a Simpson Wee Scot, it is tiny, but wow, what a great performer. I use it to face lather after an application of Palmolive soap stick and it holds enough lather for 3 passes.

If you are packing your brush away every day straight after use it might be advisable to go for a synthetic one though as they dry quicker and don't mind staying damp as much as Badger does.

I use a 19mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre (regular shape handle) stored in a pill box. Mine's the v1 (last generation) knot and would happily upgrade to the v2. It's a good size and requires little fuss; i.e. dries quicky but won't complain about being put away damp if needed. The 19mm knot has always held sufficient lather from a soap stick for three passes plus a little extra for any 'touching up'.

I use a Muhle synthetic travel brush. Works a treat with my DR Harris tube cream, served me very well recently whilst I was holidaying in Crete for two weeks.

Not anywhere near as good as my large silver tip brushes but good enough o get the job done. Major advantage is that they dry extremely quickly and you don't have to worry about rot when in its container.

Thanks for all the responses so far. The Wee Scott seems like a good one to try, but I don't think that it comes in a travel container? I really would like a screw-top tube for travel so as to protect the bristles. I see ES stock this one but there is no mention about a tube or travel container.

Wouldn't mind getting a silver tip to be honest, but may just wait until my trustworthy Kent T4 gives up the spirit. It's doing well, but I will eventually replace it with something very seriously top-end, like a shavemac or something.

I bought a New Forest 1901 to use as a travel brush, mainly because of its small size (although being a New Forest brush might also have had an influence). It was so good that I ended up using it as a "got to" at home. Also.... the NF is an excellent face latherer, and I decided to travel with creams. I ended up taking my preferred "bowl latherer"... the Simpson Colonel X2L, on holiday. It's clearly not a travel brush but fits nicely into the plastic travel tube I already own. Didn't dry very quickly and it was still wet when I got home.

I'd say that if you want it for two week holidays... use any brush and just buy a cheap travel tube from Amazon. If it's one night stays... I might think about getting a synthetic

Went to Amazon as I had some vouchers to use and got the Wee Scot.

It should be here soon. I see that you can order the travel container/tube from the Simpsons brushes website if need be.

rum said:
Went to Amazon as I had some vouchers to use and got the Wee Scot.

It should be here soon. I see that you can order the travel container/tube from the Simpsons brushes website if need be.

You can get a tube from Amazon as well. It is exactly the same as the Simpsons one but without the sticker. The Wee Scot fits with loads of room to spare!

David

davidb said:
You can get a tube from Amazon as well. It is exactly the same as the Simpsons one but without the sticker. The Wee Scot fits with loads of room to spare!

David

Thanks, David. What do I need to search for?

rum said:
Thanks for all the responses so far. The Wee Scott seems like a good one to try, but I don't think that it comes in a travel container? I really would like a screw-top tube for travel so as to protect the bristles. I see ES stock this one but there is no mention about a tube or travel container.

Wouldn't mind getting a silver tip to be honest, but may just wait until my trustworthy Kent T4 gives up the spirit. It's doing well, but I will eventually replace it with something very seriously top-end, like a shavemac or something.

The Wee Scot only comes in a box, our best selling traveller is the Cyril R Salter Turnback Traveller which retracts into a Plastic tube.

We also have the Cyril R Salter Badger Traveller.

A New Forest 1901 for me too. Excellent brush which I store in a travel tube that I got with a brush group buy from here. I found the Wee Scot to be just bit too wee for me. The 1901 is just right.

I've used a Wee Scot and Duke 1 for travel. The Duke came out on top for me... I'd be happy with either, but they're not the best imho.

No, my Edwin Jagger http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/TSBsy||@cTravel%20shaving%20brushes@b|0|user||6| 19mm synthetic V2 trounces both of them with dry time, ease of lather creation and lather quality.
And a very close second, if not joint first place with the EJ is this bad boy... And check out the price. http://connaughtshaving.com/40033.html

If you can find a better travel brush at that price, I'll eat my hat. The 'mighty Midget' is the best boar I've tried, I use is for everyday shaving too, while my EJ travel brush is used exactly for that.

Back
Top Bottom