Travelling...

Hello all - I'm going to be travelling home from University in a couple of weeks, and just wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks for travelling - general ones are appreciated, but specifically how you pack/store brushes and DE razors.

I'm not travelling for long, but it involves a couple of train changes and my wash bag will be in a bigger bag that will be subject to the dreaded luggage racks on trains, so they need to be protected somewhat. I'm heading home for about a month, so I'm taking as much as I can fit in!

I was thinking about some sort of plastic tube with a lid for my brushes, but not sure where to find them, also no idea about keeping my DE safe. Would prefer no eBay links, as I don't use it :)

Looking forward to your advice!

You can buy large or small travel tubes for brushes - screw top with hole to let air. I think Connaught do them or amazon (about £5), I use the large version and there's bags of room for all but the largest knots

Muhle also do a travel case for a DE again, any of the big shaving suppliers or amazon

It depends if you're going DIY travel kit or bought and made especially.
You can get DE (and brush) leather covers / cases from the usual vendors.

You could even buy a Simpsons Major for travelling.

Anyway, if you're trying to retrofit cases to kit you already own then you want a tube with a lid for your brush, drill the lid with a couple of holes for air circulation, and depending on the DE you have, i.e. 3-piece, 2-piece or 1-piece, you'll want either a suitable sized tin or a leather wallet.

When travelling, pucks in tins or tubs are great if you're a hard soap guy but sticks are also an option, creams you'd want something in a tube, e.g. Ingrams or Palmolive, no scuttles or OS mugs on the road.

Seeing as you're going by rail and not plane, blades aren't an issue but stick with the ones in plastic dispensers so you can store used blades easily, e.g. Derby, Feather, Wilko.

If you'd rather, you could always just order everything you need, cheap brush, razor, blades, soap, AS and have it delivered to where you're staying.

The options are endless.

chris.hale said:
If you have a three piece razor, it'll pack neatly into an empty Altoids tin with some kitchen roll for padding. Plus you get some mints out of it. :)

Never thought about that and I've a few of them tins.

There's load you can do with them tins. I've melted candle wax in to one with three wicks, the back of the lid acts as a refector.

A couple of years ago I had an Ogallala travel soap. When it ran out I stripped out the winding up mech, drilled a hole in the screw on lid and it makes an excellent brush case. Fair enough it will only take a small brush, such as the Simpsons B1 and Fidos fantastic prototype travel brush, but they are just right for travel anyway.

I've got a wash bag that contains:
Specs case (free with glasses) - Holds razor and blades
Mini airline size travel bottles (£1.50 off eBay) - Pre shave ill and after shave balm
Large travel brush tube (£5 or so) that holds my lovely NF Tubby 1.

I don't think I've ever suffered a broken razor from travelling and I travel a lot. Razors just get put into the washbag. I suspect our Vinny would see DE razor cases as just another sundry fiscal extraction system!

Brushes need a holder of course otherwise they'll get messy (and arguably damaged), but it can be anything you want that protects and yet allows some air in. I have a travel brush that came in a plastic tube, but I use an empty bog roll for the bigger brushes that only travel occasionally.

Here's a container I made for a brush. Made from a spice container.

traveltube.jpg

CookieMonster said:
Hello all - I'm going to be travelling home from University in a couple of weeks, and just wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks for travelling - general ones are appreciated, but specifically how you pack/store brushes and DE razors.

I'm not travelling for long, but it involves a couple of train changes and my wash bag will be in a bigger bag that will be subject to the dreaded luggage racks on trains, so they need to be protected somewhat. I'm heading home for about a month, so I'm taking as much as I can fit in!

I was thinking about some sort of plastic tube with a lid for my brushes, but not sure where to find them, also no idea about keeping my DE safe. Would prefer no eBay links, as I don't use it :)

Looking forward to your advice!
How about considering the use of a shaving oil such as Somerset's, which comes in a tiny bottle with enough for a good few weeks' shaving, and removes the need to carry a brush? The shave's not so luxurious, maybe, but it works. I've used it on ultralight backpacking trips, where every ounce counts, with a disposable plastic single-blade razor or a shavette

Back
Top Bottom