Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil (now reviewed)

Anyone ever used Tuefitt and Hill "Ultimate Comfort" pre shave oil?

I've not used any pre shave routine at all with the exception of a hot shower. Thinking this might be a nice product to try... any opinions on this particular one, or indeed any oil?

I've got some samples on the way (bought the T+H big sample pack) and happily this is included so I should get to try it in a week or two once the post catches up.

EDIT: Reviewed below.

Re: Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil?

the conclusion from many on here to my memory, was that it was fairly pointless and crazy overpriced for what it is.

Ive never been convinced that pre-shave oils do anything except clog your brush, ruin your lather and cost you money. The T&W ultimate comfort cream though, is excellent. Finally got myself a hold of a sample. I still slightly prefer the TOBS sensitive cream, but its a very close call.

I think a good hot shower, a nice face clean with some decent quality soap/cleanser, and then lather up with a good dense lather from a good cream and you can forget all about pre-shave oils.

Hi CT, yes you will get some in the sample pack, x2 usually. Of all the pre shave products out there this would be the one id get if it was a mandatory item.

But it’s not and the money would be better spent elsewhere, but as all things here you may really enjoy it.

As a pre shave it didn’t contribute towards a better shave for me.

Enjoy the sample pack fella, its one of the better ones out there.

shrink said:
Ive never been convinced that pre-shave oils do anything except clog your brush

Yeah, a few years ago I tried shaving oil (king of shaves if I remember rightly) with cartridge razors and always suffered serious clogging up in the blades... I'm really hoping that isn't going to be such an issue with this. (The blade gap is of course much bigger on a DE for starters, so in theory it should rinse better). I'll see. It is quite a dear oil.

And yes RB, it does look like a good pack up and I do love their soap. I've wanted to try their range as I do like those old fashioned smells, and I might fancy a cologne. Maybe WI limes.

Re: Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil

Well the samples arrived just after Christmas, and so I tried this oil. I suppose this has now turned into a bit of a review, but I feel cheeky starting a new thread on the same product so here we go.
Just to confirm, there was only one sachet in the big sample pack, enough for about 3 pre shave treatments, even though I was heavy handed. I liked it a lot, so ordered a full bottle from T+H direct, and that was with me the next day. I'm basing the opinion on only 4 shaves, so tailor your opinion suitably.

First thing to strike me was how fluid it is for an oil. I'd had bad experiences with the mass market shaving oils and expected maybe some clogging, either in the blade or in the brush, but I've encountered none so far. It's virtually water like in terms of fluidity, and in fact has a slight soapyness as you massage it into wet skin. There is a *very slight* foaming, which surprised me. I'll list the ingredients below for the sake of Henk etc, and maybe they can explain the lack of viscosity and the presence of some white thin foam.

The smell is initially all lemon and it's direct, obvious, just like sniffing a cut lemon. But it's a nice freshness straight from those zesty oils.. you get a little grapefruit as it hangs about. As you massage it in, there's something deeper... I smell cardamom pods... you're reminded of pilau rice almost. So it's citrus overload warmed by a little spice. Very pleasant indeed.
Shave wise, it's excellent, that first pass is extremely smooth and comfortable.

Downsides? Well there's a big one for me: It seems to glue your stubble to the sink when you empty the water out. A quick rub with a blob of shower gel and it'll go, but it's a slight annoyance.
It's £16 for 60ml, which is a shocker. But on the upside a tiny amount goes a very, very long way... just a few drops rubbed in during the shower is all it takes, but I guess it'll make a good shortcut for the rushed early morning shaver with no chance of a shower.

Rather than a picture of just the bottle I'll throw in todays "SOTD" shot where it joins the routine stuff.

Ingredients:
Heliathus Annus (sunflower) seed oil, cyclopentasiloxane, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) seed oil, glyceryl oleate, limonene, aleurites moluccana (kukui) seed oil, laureth-4, aloe barbedansis (aloe vera) leaf extract, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) seed oil, amica montana (amica) flower extract, tocopherol, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) peel oil, citrus nobilis (madarin orange) peel oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil, BHT, linalool, citral.

I too have tried the sachet of T&Hs Pre-shave Oil that came with the sample pack and I think I got about 5/6 shaves out of mine. Don't really know if it did anything to my shaves but I did enjoy the massage I gave my face while I was applying it - also got into the habit of doing some stretches of the face and this also seems to help in relaxing the muscles of the face, but doesn't look too good in the mirror so make sure there's nobody around if you try this. :eek: The smell of the oil is lovely and citrusy. I also had no problems with either clogging of the brush or razor.

Think I'll buy this product not just for everyday use but because am sure the bottle will look good on my shave shelf - as all of T&H's products have that classy look about them. :ugeek:

Nice stuff :)

I have a bottle of this and at first was wondering what it adds to the shave. But I have been using it for some months now I know what it does now.

It smells great like freshly squeezed oranges. if you have dry skin it will help stop it drying out after you have finished the shave. Thats what it does.

When I first got it I was a bit disappointed but loved the smell and now I have used it for a while I think I will keep it for when I'm going out.

The ingredients really look amazing - that's a great combination. I am a fan of the healing effect of Heliathus Annus (sunflower) - in fact I am a big fan of sunflowers in general and I always like to order them with my serenata internet florist. It is really great to make yourself an aftershave lotion. It just takes a few ingredients.

I have used it, I find it does not really do much. I; however, like it as an after shave balm. I shaved with it and nothing else once, it was nice but I used a lot to do this, too much money.
On a side note I also tried King of Shaves, not as nice. Art of Shaving, too thick. It does do wonders on unfinished wood! :)

I generally use a straight and have used this product from day 1 with good results - I say good because on one occasion when I decided against using it the resulting shave was not good. I've also been using a product by John Allan's which is water based - this seems to be just as effective.

Since trying a DE (last two days) I haven't bothered with either product and can't say that it has been missed - however, on straight days some form of pre shave is a must for me.

What does this tell me? That a machine blade is sharper than a honed edge and doesn't need the additional glide. As always YMMV.

Bechet45 said:
Your Milage May Vary hardly seems appropriate, so - what does YMMV mean in a shaving forum, please?

Hi Carl. It seems to be pretty common usage - in this case I was referring to people's perception of pre and post shave routines. I recently posted a direct question on SRP regarding usage of shave oil and the responses went from one extreme of people who considered it to be not much more than a con to the ones, including me, who find it useful. In this respect, YMMV seems to be useful shorthand.

UKRob said:
Bechet45 said:
Your Milage May Vary hardly seems appropriate, so - what does YMMV mean in a shaving forum, please?

Hi Carl. It seems to be pretty common usage - in this case I was referring to people's perception of pre and post shave routines. I recently posted a direct question on SRP regarding usage of shave oil and the responses went from one extreme of people who considered it to be not much more than a con to the ones, including me, who find it useful. In this respect, YMMV seems to be useful shorthand.

Yes, Rob - shorthand for what?

Back
Top Bottom