Truefitt and Hill soap

As many of the soap officionados here will know, this is the only hard soap that Truefitt and Hill produce. Kind of strange when you consider they offer something like 8 to 10 creams, and it makes them a strange oddity amongst the big 4 Mayfair / St James barber shops, who all offer a few soap choices.
Still, one soap they do, so one soap I'll review. This was my first ever hard soap, recieved as a Christmas gift about 4 weeks back. It comes in a hand turned wooden bowl as pictured for 16 pounds. Should you not want the bowl, then a refill is available for 8 pounds.

So out of the box it looks pretty good. The bowl is a tactile thing, lovely to hold in the hand, and good looking. I was concerned about the label, thinking that moisture would be its undoing within days, but after 4 weeks it's still pristine, so no worries there.
This soap is triple milled, and as hard as a hard thing. So if you buy the refill you may face a little challenge forming it into your scuttle.
The scent is beautiful... very much lavender based, though my wife says she picks up patchouli in there as well.

Even though it's hard, after soaking with a few drops of hot water for 2 minutes while you shower, it gives up plenty of soap within about 10-15 seconds of swirling with a badger brush. It's worked into a rich and creamy lather within about a minute or so, and it has a fairly large sweet spot making it really hard to get things wrong. It really is an easy hard soap for a beginner to use, even in a hard water area.
Glide is good, and cushion is spot on... the lather hangs around a very, very long time, we're talking 15 minutes or so without any real degradation.

After shaving with this soap, my skin generally feels very clean if a little tight, so maybe moisturising properties are better with other choices.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this soap and I rate it at 8/10.

+1, Great review fella. :shave

Picked one of these up today, will give it a run out next week and add my thoughts. Be interesting to see if anyone else here uses this little talked about soap and there thoughts on it.

Can I just add that this appears to be a pretty good value soap for a luxury brand. It is £8 for 100g compared to £1 for 100g of Palmolive, a cheap but very effective product. But, for that extra seven pounds you are getting a superior scent and, being a very hard soap, I presume a longer lasting soap too. I don't know how the shave compares to cheaper soaps but if the lather hangs around as long as CT says I reckon it must be pretty favourable. Plus for an extra £8 the bowl is not exactly a rip-off either. :shave

I'm not sure how long 100g of Palmolive lasts you... can someone who shaves daily with it comment?

What I would say is that with this being triple milled, it will last a long, long time. After one month of use I've noticed no degradation in the bowl at all. So I think PigCat has a very good point with regards to value... it might seem fairly dear to start with, but I'm guessing you'll get at least 6 months, maybe up to 12 with this bowl. I'll report back if and as it shrinks!

For a premium product though, I'd say it's great value.

Great review, I got this soap too, and I like the lavender scent a lot. I don't know why T&H doesn't have more soaps among its products...Haowever the luxury SS works as fine as Canuckstravelller told.
I have the same coincidences as the author of the review about the features:
- The soap gives lather easy
- Quality bowl and packaging at a fair price
- The lather is enough cushioned and thick for a comfortable shaving
- The scent is classy and pleasnt
- For a straight razor shave is better more glide in the lather
- Not as moisturizing as other soaps

CanucksTraveller said:
I'm not sure how long 100g of Palmolive lasts you... can someone who shaves daily with it comment?

What I would say is that with this being triple milled, it will last a long, long time. After one month of use I've noticed no degradation in the bowl at all. So I think PigCat has a very good point with regards to value... it might seem fairly dear to start with, but I'm guessing you'll get at least 6 months, maybe up to 12 with this bowl. I'll report back if and as it shrinks!

For a premium product though, I'd say it's great value.
What would be an idea is to stick it on the scales now, and again in a month, see how much you've used. :D

Max

Totally agree with Canuck's review, have found the lather to be noticeably better than the Trumpers (Rose/Coconut) soaps.

Very stable lather that's easy to build with good cushion and glide, a very nice lavender scent as well.

Not tried the hard soap, but yesterday i gave the T&H lavender cream sample that you sent me a go. What wonderfull stuff, Now on my list as the next soap to get next month after pay day. Thanks again for the PIF.

Cheers for that Canuck! Very nice review and I´m really looking forward to try the creams out :shave even more so now, after your review :D

Back
Top Bottom