Truefitt Sandalwood / 1805 Soaps

Hope they'll have the old/good formulation...

A couple of friends bought some time ago the current T&H soap (lavender scent) and they told me that is horrible... no way to get a decent lather from it.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if we have the same soap, but over 2 years (nearly) I've had 2 of the "luxury" soap, i.e. the only soap that T+H have done so far (up until today's news). It's always been excellent, best suited (in fact perfect) for face lathering.

Some time ago people used to mention an old formula but I honestly don't know what formula I've had, I'm assuming the "new" formula since I've bought 2 in the last 18 months?
All I do know is that if you can't build a lather with the current T+H soap, you probably don't know how to use a truly hard soap. It's wonderful stuff.

Canuck said:
I'm not sure if we have the same soap, but over 2 years (nearly) I've had 2 of the "luxury" soap, i.e. the only soap that T+H have done so far (up until today's news). It's always been excellent, best suited (in fact perfect) for face lathering.

Some time ago people used to mention an old formula but I honestly don't know what formula I've had, I'm assuming the "new" formula since I've bought 2 in the last 18 months?
All I do know is that if you can't build a lather with the current T+H soap, you probably don't know how to use a truly hard soap. It's wonderful stuff.

+1.
:angel:

Yeap, the T&H soap was an excellent soap, and other friends have used them with good performance, but it seems that T&H changed the formulation recently because my two other friends bought the pucks in the last three months and both have had bad experiences with them...

That's because I hope they have returned to the old-good formula for these two new soaps.

Cheers!

Interesting, I can only think then that I've never had one of these new formula T+H soaps yet, if it's true that it's changed in the last few months then it may put me off buying a third.

I know Penhaligons changed soap formula last year and the new stuff is shocking, so manufacturers do it sometimes. Why, I don't know.

Well I decided to pull the trigger on the 1805 soap, being on the mailing list I was offered a chance to buy it for £14 rather than £18 (although P&P was £4, so essentially it means the P&P is free).

It's on pre order, so it won't be here for a few weeks, but I'll come back and let you know what I think.

Canuck said:

It is very nice, but probably takes longer to lather than any other soap I use. Works well though..

Canuck said:
I'm firmly in that camp I'm afraid.

I started with T&H lime cream, and it's been great. However I realise that cream is more or less just soap with water added so that it's quicker to come to a lather.

Soap is cheaper, and lasts considerably longer so I grabbed a wooden bowl of soap from eBay..

I've only used it twice but I've yet to get a good lather going with it, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm going to watch some Youtube videos and see if I can spot what I'm doing wrong.

Don't worry too much as you'll pick it up, it just takes marginally longer to work up your lather, maybe half a minute more.

Top tip is to load up for longer than you think, 30 seconds or so, and soak the cake for a couple of minutes to soften. Try and face lather as it responds well to it.

Yeah - I'm not that worried. Third attempt there and an improvement again. A little too foamy, but not too bad and by the time I lathered up for the third pass it was pretty good.

The problem I have when loading up is that the brush is full, and there's soap suds all over the soap and bowl yet I probably don't have enough. I may be getting a better brush though, so I'll see how that works out.

In any case I still prefer cream, but it would seem to be three or four times the price, so if I can acquire the skill to do it with soap then it's an advantage. If T&H do a Lime soap then I'll be all over that!

Halk said:
Yeah - I'm not that worried. Third attempt there and an improvement again. A little too foamy, but not too bad and by the time I lathered up for the third pass it was pretty good.

The problem I have when loading up is that the brush is full, and there's soap suds all over the soap and bowl yet I probably don't have enough. I may be getting a better brush though, so I'll see how that works out.

Sounds as though you're leaving the brush a touch too wet. If you bowl-lather, you can get away with a wet brush, as you can scoop the foamy stuff into the bowl, continue loading the brush, then use the wet, foamy stuff to help build lather in the bowl. If you're face-lathering, though, you need to load the brush drier - soak the puck and brush while you prep your face, then tip the water off the puck and give the brush a decent squeeze. Load the brush for at least 30 seconds - you should see the hairs clogging-up with a thick, dense, creamy "proto-lather" keep loading until the brush is at least 1/3 full, or until it stops loading any further, then work onto your wet face, dipping the tips in the basin of water as many times as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom