TSR Limited Edition Phoenix & Beau - Obsidian SOTD Thread

Morning gents,

I thought it fitting that as we have our very own TSR Limited Edition soap, that it deserves it's own SOTD thread :) I'll kick us off with the inaugural SOTD:

SOTD 5/5/16

Hot Towel, Phoenix & Beau Obsidian (TSR LE), RazoRock Monster, RazoRock Bazooka, Astra SP(13), Cold Towel

I'll start by saying this. The blade would 13 days and 39 passes in by the end of the shave, so I knew I was giving Obsidian a run for it's money today. I inhaled slowly from the tub and got a hit of the dirty, wet vetiver, with a hint of sweetness that I suspect was the frankincense coming through, with the almost fern like oakmoss hitting you last. Very primal scents. I proceeded to make a lather in the bowl with The Monster, and quickly found that the lather is of typical P&B excellence. The scent changes in the bowl, mellowing if you will, becoming more balanced. Upon the face, the earthiness strikes you first and foremost, with an image of smoky fire being conjoured as the complex scents dance their mystical way up your nose.

During the shave, I felt protected by the lather and had more than enough glide. The post shave finish was, as I've come to expect from Phoenix & Beau soaps, on point. What struck me as I'd finished the shave was the scent changed again. Any remains of the scent left on my skin warmed to provide a woody, almost musky aroma. A very pleasant, but unexpected twist to the dark tale of Obsidian. So to wrap up this brief SOTD post, Obsidian is everything I'd hoped it would be. Exquisitely scented, performance that cannot be beaten and an experience that is as solid as the Obsidian rock after which this soap is named. If you've got a tub (50 tubs limited edition), you're in for a treat!

upload_2016-5-5_6-51-39.png

Razor- Mongoose
Blade- Kai Titan Mild
Soap- Obviously Phoenix & Beau Obsidian LE
Music- Manic Street Preachers

First use of a Phoenix & Beau Soap and I have to say I am very impressed. Fantastic lather combined with a lovely complex scent. Looking forward to trying the Spitfire:)

Last edited:

Had to shave again having received this. Prefect in every way. Great lather the brush kept on going. Each time I added water (a lot added) the creamy lather just kept flowing out. Scent spot on love the pepper, moss mix. I need to use it more to appreciate exactly when the olibanum kicks in. The vetiver has been balanced perfectly, earthy, but more wet rain and wood, rather than muddy, which the light moss and cedar note already provides. Post shave is class! Thanks Kerry :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi

Well I don't think I have ever been so conflicted about a soap before. I generally smell a soap and either love it, or hate it. This one I still have no idea......

I opened the tub and too be honest didn't think it was overly nice..... But..... There was something in it that interested me, something that reminds me of something I can't place. I had a shave with it to see what it was like in action, and it is very different to anything I have. I like the fact that is is different. By the end of the shave I think I may like it, but not sure........Hmmmmm... Will give it another couple of goes, and see what I think!

Do I get any points for the least useful, and most vague post of the day??? ;-)

Lol Matt! Sounds like it is using its cryptic eerie magic label powers to mess with your head :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: MPH
Hi

Well I don't think I have ever been so conflicted about a soap before. I generally smell a soap and either love it, or hate it. This one I still have no idea......

I opened the tub and too be honest didn't think it was overly nice..... But..... There was something in it that interested me, something that reminds me of something I can't place. I had a shave with it to see what it was like in action, and it is very different to anything I have. I like the fact that is is different. By the end of the shave I think I may like it, but not sure........Hmmmmm... Will give it another couple of goes, and see what I think!

Do I get any points for the least useful, and most vague post of the day??? ;-)
Stop looking at me in that tone of voice, it smells a funny colour! :D

In all seriousness, allow it to do it's thing, it will get under your skin and you will love it. If not, there are PLENTY of loving homes for it :D

e8ad035c861fdffcbc1e7c8613ff2116.jpg

Prep - Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
Razor - Gillette Rocket HD
Blade - Astra SP (#2)
Brush - Shavemac Raptor 26/52 DO1 3 Band Bulb
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Obsidian
After - Cien X-Bolt A/S
Result - Dolphin Smooth

SOTD 6/5/16

Hot Towel, Phoenix & Beau Obsidian (TSR LE), Omega 48, RazoRock Bazooka, Astra SP(14), Cold Towel

Today was face lather day with the mighty Omega 48 and indomitable Obsidian. The incredible scents from yesterdays inaugural shave were intensified with the fire of the volcano that forged Obsidian in the first place. WOW. 14 days old the blade is now, 42 passes plus touch up complete, and Obsidian was as solid as a rock. Not a whisker of drama, only an amazingly scented, smooth, safe shave. Can't wait to hit it with the Cadman brushes I have on order.

upload_2016-5-6_7-39-44.png

First run out with Obsidian this morning:
07679fc9-2e4d-45d6-96a6-c40ec4f2be7d_zpsqepzbci8.jpg

Obsidian (2/50), Ikon OC, GSB (3), Semogue 1305

Really enjoyed this, the scent is amazing. I have a bit of a cold so I'm sure I'm missing bits but I love the scent and the way it seems to change as you shave with it.
Performance was great as expected. I didn't even use the Quorum aftershave in the end, didn't need it.

Paired it with Encre Noir edt and I'm a happy bunny today.

Back
Top Bottom