Tube cream lifespan

Afternoon gents.
Right, so, we have builders in, which means that my wet shaves are somewhat infrequent at present. Anyway, after testing my new Semogue boar recently, I returned to my favourite setup this morning - Kent pure badger (freshly cleaned) and TOBS sandalwood cream from a tube. Problem was, I just couldn't get the damn stuff to lather! Added more cream, and it started to generate a tiny amount of lather, but most of what was in the bottom of my lather bowl just smeared around. Added more water, nothing. Added a touch more, and the smeared stuff collapsed, as did the minuscule amount of actual lather generated.

Thinking that there was still some vinegar in the brush, I rinsed it and tried again. Still nothing. Switched to the boar, still nothing. Finally, I rinsed both brushes and tried the badger with Palmolive and it lathered beautifully.

I'm thinking, then, that it must be the cream. I did buy it a few months back, and have already used about 2/3 of it without any problems. Haven't used it for a couple of weeks, but the cap is always fully screwed on, the tube is kept in the box and the box is stored in a drawer in my bedroom.

Any thoughts?:huh:

Don't think it would be related to lifespan, as you say you got it some months back. Even if you had got it few years back, the shave cream should possibly still be ok. I got a C&E Sienna shave cream tube this week, from Wendy (eBay / sunburyboy) and the box at the back says "1990"...

Can't say what your issue there may be but perhaps others may certainly be able to assist or explain. Cream should not perform like that, especially given the fact that you had been using it till fairly recently.

It's all you :)

I'm not going to tell you to suck eggs but it might just be your not putting enough effort in. I suspect having the builders in has left you feeling a bit tired and you were not putting your usual effort into whipping up a nice creamy lather.

I start off with less water and add a bit at a time because "you can put it in but you cannot take it out" the same applies for salt and pepper when cooking strangely enough. So your next shave give it some welly on the whisking front :)

Big.Dave said:
It's all you :)

I'm not going to tell you to suck eggs but it might just be your not putting enough effort in. I suspect having the builders in has left you feeling a bit tired and you were not putting your usual effort into whipping up a nice creamy lather.

I start off with less water and add a bit at a time because "you can put it in but you cannot take it out" the same applies for salt and pepper when cooking strangely enough. So your next shave give it some welly on the whisking front :)

I was giving it more than my usual amount of elbow grease, actually, but thanks for the thought.

Shouldn't be the cream, I've had TOBS creams in tubes and it's never gone off or dried up. I inadvertently snapped the top off the last tube of TOBS I had and so I had to squeeze it into a tupperware pot, but that still performs fine too. Can't think what the problem would be. :(

Seems to me that I'm going to have to give it another go - see if I can get it to lather this time. Glad you've snapped the cap off one of those tubes, Canuck - I did with my last one. Must say I wasn't impressed with the quality of the plastic used.

:blush::icon_redface:

Oh dear.

What a pillock I am.:icon_rolleyes:

Just had another go and, guess what?

Lathered like a dream.:p

I have a theory...yes, I know, no surprise there.:s

I've recently go used to soaps (where you remove more water from the brush than for creams) and creams like Palmolive with a wide nozzle. I think, therefore, that I simply didn't have enough cream and water. Why adding more of each didn't work may remain a mystery, but, suffice it to say, there's nothing wrong with the cream.

Once you all stop pissing yourselves laughing, let me just suggest that this should be a saluatory lesson to us all here, and should offer encouragement to our new members; even if you think you know what you're doing and think you're past the point of making n00b mistakes, you're not.:icon_rolleyes:

Thanks to all who replied.

chrisbell said:
Once you all stop pissing yourselves laughing, let me just suggest that this should be a saluatory lesson to us all here, and should offer encouragement to our new members; even if you think you know what you're doing and think you're past the point of making n00b mistakes, you're not.:icon_rolleyes:

I wasn't laughing, honest. :angel:

What you say above is very true; I liked what a member of another forum said (he's been shaving with a cut throat for 40 years or so). "Of course I still cut myself from time to time - it's like putting your foot in the wrong trouser leg. It just doesn't happen so often now".

Arrowhead said:
chrisbell said:

I wasn't laughing, honest. :angel:

What you say above is very true; I liked what a member of another forum said (he's been shaving with a cut throat for 40 years or so). "Of course I still cut myself from time to time - it's like putting your foot in the wrong trouser leg. It just doesn't happen so often now".

I reckon it's what keeps us humble.:icon_rolleyes:

yeah definitely didnt think it was the cream.. i have TOBS tubs that are almost a year old and still lather like a dream.

That said, i face lather, building a dry paste into a thick lather with slow addition of water. But have never have a problem getting pretty much anything to lather!

shrink said:
i have TOBS tubs that are almost a year old and still lather like a dream.

It lasts much longer than that! :icon_lol: Don't ask.

By the way, I don't like the new lol smiley at all. It reminds me of nothing so much as the Chatterer cenobite in Hellraiser.

Canuck is correct, and I did not laugh either on Chris' experience.

Last year I bought a R89 and after inserting the blade I put the razor head base upside down.
Tried to shave - nothing. I wondered what could be wrong. Tried again after two days, nothing.
Thought this razor is not for me.

I immediately put it up for sale at the BST.

Tony comes up saying something like "it's a very good shaver, you should not sell, you may get back to it later on."
So I say ok and decide to keep the razor.

Few days or weeks later, while dismantling the head, I accidentally notice my mistake.

So things like that can happen to all, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom