TV licence, help me to understand

I was once working at an aircraft maintenance company that got raided by HMRC. Police were 'in attendance' but it was clear who was in charge. Anyway, upshot was that four techs were found to be running their cars on JET-A1 and had their collars felt.
I got tank tested once, police pulled me over but the rest of the process was carried out by a bloke from HMRC, the police are there to do the arresting.

if you've got nothing to hide, let them in, it's not going to go away untill they're satisfied, if you mess them about it will end up costing you more money, bear in mind that, rightly or wrongly, TV license evasion is a CRIMINAL offence. mess them about and end up with a criminal record.
If you've got nothing to hide is the whole point! Nothing criminal about not having a TV or means to watch and yet you get hassled as if. Big Brother is not programmed for the few odd-balls and many poor who don't behave as the herd - but hey! if you are one of the few - Stand Up For Your Rights!

I got tank tested once, police pulled me over but the rest of the process was carried out by a bloke from HMRC, the police are there to do the arresting.

Plenty around these parts running red, I even saw one fella top his tank up down a busy road in broad day light. Stood there with a translucent enough to tell it was red jerry can. They sometimes set up in lay-bys and pull people over.

If you've got nothing to hide is the whole point! Nothing criminal about not having a TV or means to watch and yet you get hassled as if. Big Brother is not programmed for the few odd-balls and many poor who don't behave as the herd - but hey! if you are one of the few - Stand Up For Your Rights!
nothing the matter with not having a tv, but some people are dishonest, hence the need for inspectors. not owning a tv don't make you some free thinking radical, any more than not owning any books means your a idiot.

Plenty around these parts running red, I even saw one fella top his tank up down a busy road in broad day light. Stood there with a translucent enough to tell it was red jerry can. They sometimes set up in lay-bys and pull people over.
you pretty heavily done for it, vat fraud. all the pumps round this way make you supply a name and address and numberplate before they'll sell it to you. mind you,if your vehicle is unregistered anyhow, they won't catch you, unless you get pulled over.

you pretty heavily done for it, vat fraud. all the pumps round this way make you supply a name and address and numberplate before they'll sell it to you. mind you,if your vehicle is unregistered anyhow, they won't catch you, unless you get pulled over.

Ok, some drivers buy gas (smuggled?) without paying VAT.

fuel tanks, red diesel is cheaper than ordinary DERV, there is no or reduced vat on it, but is for use only by agricultural vehicles or or construction plant, diggers, dumpers ect. if you put it in a van, car lorry,and use it on the public highway you're breaking the law. so HMRC do random stops of diesel vehicles and take a fuel sample from the tank.if it's red, you're busted!!

not owning a tv don't make you some free thinking radical, any more than not owning any books means your a idiot.
Excepting those that can't afford these items, they are both very good indicators.
all the pumps round this way make you supply a name and address and numberplate before they'll sell it to you
I think the pumps are not the places to buy red for your car.

Last edited:
fuel tanks, red diesel is cheaper than ordinary DERV, there is no or reduced vat on it, but is for use only by agricultural vehicles or or construction plant, diggers, dumpers ect. if you put it in a van, car lorry,and use it on the public highway you're breaking the law. so HMRC do random stops of diesel vehicles and take a fuel sample from the tank.if it's red, you're busted!!

Apparently it's no good just say filling up once, or every so often as the red dye stays around in the tank. Haven't ever owned a diesel so no personal experience of red.

Back
Top Bottom