Two vintage brushes, Certifyd and Century

I recently scored two vintage brushes in a fleabay sale.
One is a green/cream "Century, set in rubber" badger brush and the other is a red/cream "Certifyd" model 700/5 boar brush.
Our good Doctor has done his own restoration to a similar (size 3) Certifyd brush here: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=22901
Here they are with the knots cut off.
_20140903_091904.JPG

_20140903_111405.JPG

Here they are with the knots drilled out and the openings cleaned up with a sanding drum in a Dremel tool.
_20140905_150012.JPG

_20140905_145953.JPG

The Century handle opening measures exactly 20mm and the Certifyd handle opening measures 26mm.
Here's a picture of the Certifyd with a US Quarter (24mm diameter).
_20140905_151233.JPG

Trying to decide on what knot type/size to use...

It feels soft in the hand, but I'll know tomorrow. It's lined up for the morning SOTD. :D
The knot was from here right?
http://www.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/shop/project-kits/shaving-projects/silver-tip-badger-shaving-knot-24mm.html

dunno bout the number, can vouch for the quality of knot from the turners workshop though-bought a silvertip of them for my first dabble at a restore and i am absolutely smitten! i face lather and it is everything i could want, brilliant stuff!
that certifyd looks super-cleaned up really nicely!

Yeah, that knot is fab. I told Andy earlier, the tips are beginning to hook which should lead to "Gel tips" similar to the Rooney "Heritage" line.
If it does, then I'm going to buy a lottery ticket because my luck has changed for the better.
I only have one brush with "gel tips", my M&F Chief and it's by far the softest tipped brush I own.

hellofromme said:
Lovely restore job. What are the plans for the other one?

I acquired the other one as part of the deal for knotting that one - i put in a little 20mm silvertip and even set its loft at a low 46mm. It lathers well but has very little backbone.
2upwbqs.jpg

it's as soft as a soft thing on national soft day!

Back
Top Bottom