UFO U2 Goliath XL (Red Bronze)

To follow on from U2 review, my whole reason for visiting UFO Razor Handles was because I kept looking at this beast. (The U2 was impulse)

I spent ages scouring the internet trying to find a decent photo of this handle in red bronze, as I wanted something different but not garish. My other dillemma was how it would look with my Weber DLC Head (Weber Razors).

If I'm honest, the fact that U2 was about to be out of production tipped me over the edge and I pulled the trigger on this behemoth and the U2.

When it arrived I was not disappointed, the weight was fantastic. I had never considered a razor with a long handle until Daz kindly passed round his JEC handle (JEC Handles).

The colour can only really be described a cross between copper and gold. A nice subdued orangey/red.

UFORazorHandle-25.jpg

The knurling is beautiful to look at, my only wish is that it was more aggressive like the Weber Bulldog handle.

UFORazorHandle-19.jpg

As with the U2 handle, it fits my Weber DLC head perfectly, and I think it looks the dogs danglies. Although my Mrs thinks its hideous, but what does she know?

UFORazorHandle-33.jpg

After a test shave, its simply brilliant to use. Has great balance to ensure you are not adding any pressure during the shave, however if you want to it doesn't bite as there so much weight in the handle you only have to press lightly. It glides across your skin effortlessly due to the weight and size of the thing.

UFORazorHandle-24.jpg

UFORazorHandle-22.jpg

If your on the fence about this, don't be. Its absolutely fantastic to use, I feel as though I don't desire other people's stuff as much anymore. I really feel I have a great all round set up to suit my tastes.

UFORazorHandle-35.jpg

As I have said before, dealing with Juan and Rafael is a pleasure, not to mention how exceptional there communication despite the obvious language barrier.

You honestly feel a sense of pride when using these handles, knowing they have been lovingly passed through a lathe by hand rather than a computer model. You can almost feel the passion Rafael must have when making these handles.

I will leave you with these words from Juan which I think sums up them, and how I feel about the handles made:

"Please remember that the handle does not belong to you, but you have the privilege of enjoying and preserving it until the next generation."

They are really nice handles and Rafael does a marvellous job on the knurling.
Knurling can be a bit of a black art and getting things as perfect as he does takes a lot of practise, patience and trial and error. There is a simple formula you can use for getting close, but the rest comes down to experimentation and
thousandths of an inch, not to mention wasting a lot of material in experimentation. It takes a lot of hours in practise to turn out knurling of that quality.
Well done Rafael, i have only just started making handles and know what it takes, especially when you want things to be perfect.

Daz

The knurling you put on my Big Rocket handle is fantastic, Daz. Perfect to look at whilst being very deep and grippy. Rafael is surely the standard to which any handle maker must aspire to but I reckon you've made one helluva start mate!

:D

I have a JEC (in copper) and a UFO (also in Red Bronze) - I like both, equally, in spadefulls. The knurling on the JEC is more grippy though I think.
8176410964_dd66465ec6_m.jpg

Currently the UFO is lashed to a Souplex and the JEC to the 7 O'Clock New.
I regret I have but one face to shave :-(

Hang on, there is the missus.......((((Mwahahahahahahar))))

Father Ted said:
I have a JEC (in copper) and a UFO (also in Red Bronze) - I like both, equally, in spadefulls. The knurling on the JEC is more grippy though I think.

Currently the UFO is lashed to a Souplex and the JEC to the 7 O'Clock New.
I regret I have but one face to shave :-(

Hang on, there is the missus.......((((Mwahahahahahahar))))

I know what you mean, I really wish I needed to shave more regular so I could take advantage of these handles more. Not to mention the soaps and creams as well!

Hi my friends. Please let me post here a bit of info and some of my own personal opinion. I hope it does not been saw as advertisement. It is not my intention.

Thanks a lot for your review, Matthew. You are very kind. Everybody I've met here are wonderful people, gents.

Please let me explain a bit about the UFO aristocrat knurling.

The U2 knurling is different from the Godzilla, Kaiser, or Goliath. The U2 knurling is much slim. This handle was born as an homage to the most beautiful British Gillette Aristocrat Razors.

Godzilla, Kaiser, and Goliath are the same knurling pattern. The difference is knurling depth.
When run at full depth in Goliath, looks like the old Gillette, but when it runs smoothly, lighter, like Godzilla, is never seen in an aristocrat knurling. Godzilla is balance between elegance and grip. Very classy but enough grip. Lines are wider. Goliath is the deepest knurling possible maintaining the level of finish and quality that Rafael likes. Plenty of grip. Lines are narrower.
Kaiser is medium knurling depth.

You can not compare UFO knurled aristocrat with diamond knurling. You can never get a grip as those points of diamonds. These are made with cutting knurls while aristocrat from Rafael are made with pressure knurls as formerly. If Rafael apply more pression, knurled ridges will break and look bad.

In recent months I have noticed that some friends value handle grip a lot, and they want deepest knurls possible and with the most grip. But I am of the opinion that while the grip is enough, lustfully caress the handle with my fingertips it is also a sense of pleasant . To caress its soft silky knurling. With a very sharp diamond knurling, without sanding, I do not get this feeling. Also note the difference in the metals touch. Brass and bronze are more silky than steel. Another interesting factor is that aristocrat knurling allows rectify on the fly the fingers's position on the handle, more easily than the aggressive diamond knurling, if needed.

Excellent and informative post, Juan. Thank you.

I certainly wouldn't see it as an advert - Rafael's wonderful work speaks for itself. Also, your description of the various handle styles is almost poetic! :D

daz said:
They are really nice handles and Rafael does a marvellous job on the knurling.
Knurling can be a bit of a black art and getting things as perfect as he does takes a lot of practise, patience and trial and error. There is a simple formula you can use for getting close, but the rest comes down to experimentation and
thousandths of an inch, not to mention wasting a lot of material in experimentation. It takes a lot of hours in practise to turn out knurling of that quality.
Well done Rafael, i have only just started making handles and know what it takes, especially when you want things to be perfect.

Daz

Daz, my friend, all that you have said is absolutely correct and reflects the reality as it is. Rafael has a big box of martyrs and damaged materials in the workshop. You know well that good machines and tools are expensive, and that expertise is acquired after many hours of practice, trial and error.

Even with the mastery of Rafael, yesterday he told me by phone that he had spoiled a steel bar. The knurled was not good for him. It's not an exact science. Many factors influence, you know. Even the mood.

Taking all this into account, and the pleasure that UFO handles give to me, my opinion is that far from being expensive, are a bargain.

Even the UFO TiTAN, with the price that Rafael has set, considering the high price of materials and machining difficulties, is a bargain, and I do not know if it is the first Titanium safety razor handle, but it is the first one that I have seen. I'm looking forward to getting mine. It is exactly the one you have seen in the photos, the first he has done. A friend and I had to push Rafael to make it, because at first he was reluctant to do so, for the price of material, tool wear, the final price, and the difficulties of working this material. An error in an unusable piece is much more expensive than brass, obviously. But now he will make a small number for those interested.

When I talk with Rafael I will tell him that he had to reply you in this thread to thank your kind words, and the words from all the friends.

And I hope someday to have a handle yours in my arsenal, my friend.

mattyb240 said:
As I have said before, dealing with Juan and Rafael is a pleasure, not to mention how exceptional there communication despite the obvious language barrier.

You honestly feel a sense of pride when using these handles, knowing they have been lovingly passed through a lathe by hand rather than a computer model. You can almost feel the passion Rafael must have when making these handles.

Oh jeeez, that's a good looking color combo. More gold in it than I thought, which is fine with me. Contrast with the head is quite pleasant to my eye. Heh, as a bonus, it even seems like you enjoy the shave!

Congrats on the new Frankenrazor body part added to your arsenal,

Martin

I definately would not consider them expensive considering the work and time that goes into them. Used this handle again tonight it's just lovely.

Thank you very much everyone for your words of appreciation for my work, are comments like yours that encourage me to continue despite the many difficulties I've had and I have to save my great reward is here in comments like yours, I am proud right now you have made these handles both cherish, my time is very limited by my work schedule and I would like to meet all faster, but I can not, however I do what is in my power to be attending all those who are interested in having a handle UFO.
      A big hug to everyone Rafael

Friend and colleague Daz, I appreciate the explanations equally as successful in this work, the knurling is complex and unstable, a job is never exactly equal to another, there are always differences between them, and to get some stability requires what your rightly say, long time trials and wasting a lot of material and tools, is often very unpleasant and makes you want to leave, but you have to keep fighting, investigating, imagining, experimenting Jasta achieving the goal set, put it passion, tenacity, and always try to do something unique, original and different, which is the most difficult path, but correct. For me the most important thing is to be satisfied with a job well done and provide the best materials and the best of yourself I think that's the way to go.
  A hug Rafael

dodgy said:
mattyb240 said:

Oh jeeez, that's a good looking color combo. More gold in it than I thought, which is fine with me. Contrast with the head is quite pleasant to my eye. Heh, as a bonus, it even seems like you enjoy the shave!

Congrats on the new Frankenrazor body part added to your arsenal,

Martin

Martin, Martin, Today I visited this friend in his wagon
tt0144729.jpg
, and she has seen several UFO handles in your life looking into his crystal ball. Greetings, my friend.

Dr Dulcamara said:
Martin, Martin, Today I visited this friend in his wagon and she has seen several UFO handles in your life looking into his crystal ball. Greetings, my friend.

Ah, the Good Doctor taking some time to help me out. So you are telling me I'm a marked man? Hell, all that fortune teller had to do was read a few of my posts to figure out the prediction like that.

For some reason my dear Doctor, I thought of you here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EMTFAY6gQ

Back
Top Bottom