Ultralight Shaving Setup Advice

I’ll soon be undertaking walking and camping the Cotswold Way and would like some advice on a good ultralight setup. I’ve done many National Trails over the years but have never been happy with my shaving setup which has invariably been too heavy. I am a head and face shaver although it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I couldn’t shave my head on the trail although a couple of days facial growth drives me mad. I was thinking of taking some cream (Maca Root) and massaging it into my face instead of taking a brush but I’m open to any ideas. I tried using a Gillette Blue II disposable on my head the other day and I thought it was awful so good lightweight razor options would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I’ll soon be undertaking walking and camping the Cotswold Way and would like some advice on a good ultralight setup. I’ve done many National Trails over the years but have never been happy with my shaving setup which has invariably been too heavy. I am a head and face shaver although it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I couldn’t shave my head on the trail although a couple of days facial growth drives me mad. I was thinking of taking some cream (Maca Root) and massaging it into my face instead of taking a brush but I’m open to any ideas. I tried using a Gillette Blue II disposable on my head the other day and I thought it was awful so good lightweight razor options would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
The Ever-Ready Lightweight SE Gem bladed razor is extremely light and a joy to shave with, you can borrow one of mine if you wish. :) I will post with a couple of blade's if you need them.

Paul.

Last edited:
The Ever-Ready Lightweight SE Gem bladed razor is extremely light and a joy to shave with, you can borrow one of mine if you wish. :) I will post with a couple of blade's if you need them.

Paul.
That is a very kind offer Paul. Do you know how much it weighs? I have a Twig Thorn that is excellent for both head and face shaves and weighs about 68g but was wondering if there were any disposable or lightweight cartridges that would fit the bill. I have never shaved with a Gem style razor before and have only got 10 days before I go. I know it doesn’t sound much but every gram saved is a big help as I’ll be carrying everything in my backpack and I’m not the biggest to start with. :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance.

It is tricky finding the ideal set-up for travelling and backpacking; I am also a head and face shaver. I can't say I have
found an ideal set-up yet, but have found kit that works. I prefer using a brush, but have also used oils, soap and shampoo from small 25ml squeezy bottles. Anyway this has what has worked for me.

Gillette skin guard, worth checking out, usually available on eBay from Indian sellers. Simple, featherweight, robust and inexpensive.
Aluminium DE's, take your pick, I have used Karve and Lupo, which have both worked fine and techs. I have found Weishi DE case's excellent for protecting and storing DE's + you get a free razor!.

Muhle STF 19mm (excellent), I don't think I am making any compromise here, it is small but a small Omega boar, such as the mighty midget is lighter, if you are counting grams, also smaller, and fits in a empty La Toja shave stick plastic container, but dry-out time for boars can be an issue when travelling.

Any half used shave stick in a Lea or La-Toja container works for me.I do not need to use a mirror, relying on feel, but the Weishi case has one. I would like a small hardish case to store all the kit together + a few other grooming essentials, but have not found anything suitable; a custom jobby is probably the best route.

That is a very kind offer Paul. Do you know how much it weighs? I have a Twig Thorn that is excellent for both head and face shaves and weighs about 68g but was wondering if there were any disposable or lightweight cartridges that would fit the bill. I have never shaved with a Gem style razor before and have only got 10 days before I go. I know it doesn’t sound much but every gram saved is a big help as I’ll be carrying everything in my backpack and I’m not the biggest to start with. :rolleyes:
I'm not able to weigh it but I'm sure it is under 68g, it is very light indeed, it's a mild razor that doesn't need to be mastered, it is very easy razor to shave with and get good results from.
The offer is still on the table if you wish to take me up on it.

Edit: the Gillette Guard cartilage razor is good, light and very cheap to buy, I have one and it gives outstanding shaves.

Paul.

Last edited:
How about something like an aluminium Tech, RazoRock Lupo, BBS, MJ-90A, or the Standard Razor.
Heck, even one of those plastic Gillette 7 O'Clock could be fine - I had one and it wasn't too bad, but I think I ended up breaking it by accident (or too much tinkering).
Lord also makes some lightweight razors and they have a Tech clone that's very lightweight and comes with a plastic OC plate.
QShave and Baili also sell relatively inexpensive and fairly lightweight razors (e.g. - that one was made a little better than I expected it to be).
Jagen David used to sell a zamak head and plastic handle Tech clone which probably weighed hardly anything, and I think a friend used it almost exclusively for a few years, so should provide a serviceable shave.

As far as a soap goes, I reckon you'd be mostly after slickness, but if you were to take an inexpensive hard puck, it could double as a hand/shower soap, saving some more space.

It is tricky finding the ideal set-up for travelling and backpacking; I am also a head and face shaver. I can't say I have
found an ideal set-up yet, but have found kit that works. I prefer using a brush, but have also used oils, soap and shampoo from small 25ml squeezy bottles. Anyway this has what has worked for me.

Gillette skin guard, worth checking out, usually available on eBay from Indian sellers. Simple, featherweight, robust and inexpensive.
Aluminium DE's, take your pick, I have used Karve and Lupo, which have both worked fine and techs. I have found Weishi DE case's excellent for protecting and storing DE's + you get a free razor!.

Muhle STF 19mm (excellent), I don't think I am making any compromise here, it is small but a small Omega boar, such as the mighty midget is lighter, if you are counting grams, also smaller, and fits in a empty La Toja shave stick plastic container, but dry-out time for boars can be an issue when travelling.

Any half used shave stick in a Lea or La-Toja container works for me.I do not need to use a mirror, relying on feel, but the Weishi case has one. I would like a small hardish case to store all the kit together + a few other grooming essentials, but have not found anything suitable; a custom jobby is probably the best route.
Great suggestions @Missoni, thanks. I am a big fan of the Mühle Silvertip Fibre and have looked at the travel brush. It is quite expensive but I might order one I think. I usually do 1 or 2 long distance paths a year so it should be worth it. I have an aluminium Tech and took it last year, it works well on my face but not so close on my dome, it is probably user error as I think I struggle to get the correct angle. I might use it until I go away to improve my technique with it.

Thank you for your input.

I'm not able to weigh it but I'm sure it is under 68g, it is very light indeed, it's a mild razor that doesn't need to be mastered, it is very easy razor to shave with and get good results from.
The offer is still on the table if you wish to take me up on it.

Edit: the Gillette Guard cartilage razor is good, light and very cheap to buy, I have one and it gives outstanding shaves.

Paul.
Thanks Paul, I really appreciate your kind offer but I think I might try out my aluminium Tech over the next few shaves, if I’m not happy with it the Gillette Guard is a good option and I should be able to pick one up before I go.

How about something like an aluminium Tech, RazoRock Lupo, BBS, MJ-90A, or the Standard Razor.
Heck, even one of those plastic Gillette 7 O'Clock could be fine - I had one and it wasn't too bad, but I think I ended up breaking it by accident (or too much tinkering).
Lord also makes some lightweight razors and they have a Tech clone that's very lightweight and comes with a plastic OC plate.
QShave and Baili also sell relatively inexpensive and fairly lightweight razors (e.g. - that one was made a little better than I expected it to be).
Jagen David used to sell a zamak head and plastic handle Tech clone which probably weighed hardly anything, and I think a friend used it almost exclusively for a few years, so should provide a serviceable shave.

As far as a soap goes, I reckon you'd be mostly after slickness, but if you were to take an inexpensive hard puck, it could double as a hand/shower soap, saving some more space.
Thanks @slapo, all great options. I’m going to use my Alu Tech before I go, I’m sure it’ll be fine, it’s no fashion parade after all. Good idea regarding the hard puck, I never thought of that.

Thanks @slapo, all great options. I’m going to use my Alu Tech before I go, I’m sure it’ll be fine, it’s no fashion parade after all. Good idea regarding the hard puck, I never thought of that.
You're welcome. :)

I think I've actually used the Ogallala Bay Rum soap and the Folk Soaps shaving soap in the shower out of curiosity, and both performed pretty well (though I think I prefered the latter).

Well I had a head and face shave with my little aluminium Tech. It actually did a really good job although it’s not as easy to use as my Leaf due to the short handle, I think it’ll be fine for my trip. I’ve also ordered the Mühle STF Travel Brush, it’s a brush I’ve been after for a while so decided to bite the bullet, it’s got a 21mm knot and weighs around 40g so shouldn’t be a compromise at all.

Thanks for all your suggestions and tips, they have been most helpful

Neil

I’ve received my Mühle STF Travel Brush today and it looks like it will be just perfect for what I want, compact and light (38g) without any compromises. I’ve yet to finalise exactly what I’ll take but I think all in it will come to around 100g which what I am aiming for.

Hijacking your thread slightly, how do you deal with de blades safely if you're moving on daily? Leaving them in the razor seems dangerous to your other luggage without a hard case.

Back
Top Bottom