Underappreciated creams

I tried it Ben

It was truly awful
Keep your £1.29 in your pocket

I would second this. Smelt quite good, but performance average.

BTW, the Boots Shave Stick is in the same bucket EXCEPT that the plastic container is extremely useful for storing Palmolive Shave Sticks in when you are travelling (or sitting at home, for that matter).

Atop this Williams shave cream is quite nice. I don't think it's so much underappreciated as difficult to come by here in the UK. I sent a tube to @Sezer1974 a while back. The mentholated one if I remember rightly? Performed well for me but just didn't use it enough to justify drawer space! :D

If you go to Germany (or know someone who's going there), be sure to pick up some Florena Men Rasiercreme. Cheap as chips and a great performer (generously supplied to me by Jason, of this parish).

Atop this Williams shave cream is quite nice. I don't think it's so much underappreciated as difficult to come by here in the UK. I sent a tube to @Sezer1974 a while back. The mentholated one if I remember rightly? Performed well for me but just didn't use it enough to justify drawer space! :D
Yes, it is a Wonderful cream, I love it! plenty of menthol and freshness. Thank you very much :)
By the way I would recommend other William's creams as well, Ice Blue and Hydrate are also very good. There is also a sensitive version but I haven't tried that.

The indian made creams are a solid choice and fly low under the radar while everyone gaze at artisan stuff.

After Yardley gold the Biotique stuff is superb, cheap and comes i a big big tub.

Last edited:
I would put XPEC, not in the underappreciated category, but the much-hyped and over-priced category.

It's hard to get hold of, and expensive, but has a rabid fanbase (supposedly due to performance). Granted I've only tried the reformulated version.

Well, if anyone cares to search there's a loooong thread about this stuff from a couple years ago, starting from before the older version went extinct. Matter of fact there was a group buy of the unscented, bought from a guy named oudroyal from Italy on ebay. He still has some unscented tubs left at about $35 plus shipping, which is a great price for the old cream.

XPEC has since been reformulated and is now nothing special but the original version is excellent.

I tried Dove Men+ Extra cream tonight. Light, sweet cologne scent. Need a bit more practice with the lather as it's glycerin-heavy but it is slickness by the bucket! Quite nice and one I can see in my regular rotation! Unfortunately, it seems to have been discontinued!

Only place I have found the dove men + care hydrate version is superdrug but it only seems to be available in a gift set along with the moisturiser and the balm in a tin...think it was £7.95 when I purchased it a few weeks ago

One of my favourites that is underrated but a great performer is the vitos red with glycerine and cocco, works out the be one of the cheapest in my den yet one of the best, i know a lot of people don't rate the scent...I don't mind the scent as I find it quite subtle not strong and when it's lathered I can't smell much at all

Only place I have found the dove men + care hydrate version is superdrug but it only seems to be available in a gift set along with the moisturiser and the balm in a tin...think it was £7.95 when I purchased it a few weeks ago
Interesting - doesn't seem to be available anywhere in the tin with shiny lid anymore! I wonder if there's much/any difference between the 'Hydrate' version and the one in the tin...

Also, on an unrelated note, I checked out the ingredient's list on tubes of Coates Sandalwood vs Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort shave creams and they're identical except for colourants, perfumes and preservatives. In fact, they're in the same order with the exceptions listed above...

Interesting - doesn't seem to be available anywhere in the tin with shiny lid anymore! I wonder if there's much/any difference between the 'Hydrate' version and the one in the tin...

Also, on an unrelated note, I checked out the ingredient's list on tubes of Coates Sandalwood vs Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort shave creams and they're identical except for colourants, perfumes and preservatives. In fact, they're in the same order with the exceptions listed above...

I couldn't say about the one in the tin I have seen it a long while ago but never used it, only had 2 types and both where in the tubes the one I have now and the sensitive version, only difference I noticed between the 2 is a slight difference in the scent...the hydrate may be a little more moisturising

Back
Top Bottom