USA or not.

A couple of years ago I bought a Cam Corder from an American seller on The Bay. However when it arrived I was stung for another £18 by Royal Mail for a handling charge. Since then I refused to buy from America.

However, there are a lot of razors, particularly straights, from American sellers. Has anyone had experience of buying razors from the USA and if so was there extra to pay at the UK end?

Here in the USA we dont pay any taxes at our doors to receive..but I believe there is a UK tax to receive..same with some middle east countries as well

B

I received a couple of fair sized package of eric (Blades) no extra charges for me but i guess its a bit of a lottery!

Also i think fido did a rather large dodgy deal but i dont know how he got on charge wise!

kev... said:
I received a couple of fair sized package of eric (Blades) no extra charges for me but i guess its a bit of a lottery!

Also i think fido did a rather large dodgy deal but i dont know how he got on charge wise!

Then Eric must have a declared it as ''gift'',that's the only way round it as far as I know

James_uk said:
kev... said:

Then Eric must have a declared it as ''gift'',that's the only way round it as far as I know
He didnt mate i was waiting for a couple of men in black looking types from customs to turn up to empty my bank balance!! :?

Even gifts are liable for customs charges,

From HM revenue and customs site

2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

To qualify as a gift:

* the customs declaration must be completed correctly
* the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
* there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
* the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.

Note: if you purchase goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P40_4237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... t#P40_4237</a><!-- m -->

HM's info in the linked page is a great summary.

Here in the states if we send anything within the USA..not including Canada..no need for description..but if its international..I just stated whats in it..I stated whats in it..perhaps used the word "gift"...Kev would know best :lol:

kev... said:
James_uk said:
kev... said:

He didnt mate i was waiting for a couple of men in black looking types from customs to turn up to empty my bank balance!! :?

Calculate total price on this website:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-tax-calculation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... lculation/</a><!-- m -->

Add 8 GBP to it (Royal Mail handeling charge)

You've got your total price.

If a courrier service handles it (DHL/Fedex), be careful, their handeling charges are higher. (and you'll never be "lucky")

Max

I ordered my first razor from the US on 13 December - a slim adjustable for £15 plus about £6 in postage (first class USPS). I haven't received it yet and although I know there are probably a lot of backed-up deliveries due to recent weather and Xmas/new year holidays, hut I felt it was time to email the seller to see if there's a tracking number or something.

I assume that because the cost of the item itself was less than £18 there will be no charges, as as I believe postage and other fees are excluded from that amount.
Don't know if anyone will find that info useful and I expect to be corrected here if I'm not!

I thought postage was included?

I've dealt a fair bit with the states, most people are usually happy to lower the value on the customs :shock: MB is very good at it and is all over send stuff this side of the pond.

Only one who wouldn't was bullgoose, he said it's expensive if they get caught lying on a customs form, fair enough I thought.

I bought a vintage brush from a U.S seller for around $130, unknowing to me he declared it's value at $250 and I was duly knackered by HM customs. Now I'm a bit more careful.

The duty & VAT is levied on the cost of delivering the service to the EU, and that includes postage.

To avoid doubt - if the declared value is under the limit, they don't look further - if the declared value is above the limit, then they add the value of the postage on (they will make a cursory look for something that says "free shipping" on the invoice but will then use the invoice value rather than the declared value...)

antdad said:
I bought a vintage brush from a U.S seller for around $130, unknowing to me he declared it's value at $250 and I was duly knackered by HM customs. Now I'm a bit more careful.

Oh hell,

I wish I woulda known how that worked earlier Tony. I guess I should tell you what to be expecting in the mail soon.

I'd heard you really liked deep dish Chicago style pizza, and ordered an extra extra large from an excellent place (Lou Malnotti) near me. I thought of what you'd like on the pizza, and settled on vegetarian because of your calming aura. Pretty acurrate eh? Yep, there's zuchinni and other squash like stuff, plus a healthy addition of okra! Oh yeah, I think there's some tomato sauce on there somewhere. Actually, this place does make a great deep dish style, and a really nice thin crust version as well.

The damn thing weighed over nine pounds, and shipping was a bit pricey. No problem though, since I sent the package COD. No idea what the charges will be, since it didn't matter anyway. Although, it may have made me a little sad if I woulda looked.

The problem is that I sorta declared a very high value on this pizza. I figured the replacement value would be expensive and I wouldn't want you to have to pay for shipping for nothing if it never got there. Oh well, live and learn.

Yeah, nothing like some two inch thick, one pound pizza slices. Does it remind you of Naples?

Martin

Back
Top Bottom