"Use The Force, Luke,...use The Force",......

Just wondering if I'm alone doing this,.....In my auto racing days,...if I had a fiddly operation down in the bowels of the engine bay, instead of peering in whilst trying,...I'd close my eyes, zen-like, relax and visualise the task.
I suppose this replicated somewhat, by the heightened senses that remain, say when someone doesn't have their sight any more.
Back on point,....my first attempts at straight razor shaving were OK, and I soon got a decent one pass shave, requiring a minimal clean up pass,..or two:).
One problem that I had was, looking in the mirror while shaving, and trying to stretch the skin I seemed to be looking around my arms and hands and getting in a mess.
Then I started closing my eyes, when doing the difficult bits, and shaving by feel, and lo and behold, I got better and better.
It may not work for you, but it certainly did for me.
"Mileage for you,...vary it may"....

Last edited:
This had crossed my mind too!!

I will try it this weekend. I have shaved my neck before by feel - I'm just starting using a straight

Good discussion. I'll be looking forward to reading people's opinions on here

Just wondering if I'm alone doing this,.....In my auto racing days,...if I had a fiddly operation down in the bowels of the engine bay, instead of peering in whilst trying,...I'd close my eyes, zen-like, relax and visualise the task.
I suppose this replicated somewhat, by the heightened senses that remain, say when someone doesn't have their sight any more.
Back on point,....my first attempts at straight razor shaving were OK, and I soon got a decent one pass shave, requiring a minimal clean up pass,..or two:).
One problem that I had was, looking in the mirror while shaving, and trying to stretch the skin I seemed to be looking around my arms and hands and getting in a mess.
Then I started closing my eyes, when doing the difficult bits, and shaving by feel, and lo and behold, I got better and better.
I haven't shut my eyes for a shave but when using my kamisori there are parts of my face I just can't see because my arm gets in the way so I have to go by feel for some parts of the shave, the razor gives enough feedback through sound and feel. So yes, it can be done, you just need the confidence to do it! P. :)

Last edited:
That's basically what I mean, Paul,....not looking in the mirror means you can put your arms and hands where they need to be, not trying to look around them into the mirror all the time...."Use The Force, Padawan,.....:)"

How many shaves / years do you think it took you to get to this level / feel ?

Twenty-ish,...shaves,....six weeks in time,..the "feel" isn't a learned skill,..it just worked for me and thought that it may work for others because trying to see what I was doing in the mirror was, at times, distracting and unhelpful.

standard.jpg

"How many shaves / years do you think it took you to get to this level / feel ?"

QUOTE="Far Cry Toff, post: 697525, member: 8061"]Twenty-ish,...shaves,....six weeks in time,..the "feel" isn't a learned skill,..it just worked for me and thought that it may work for others because trying to see what I was doing in the mirror was, at times, distracting and unhelpful.[/QUOTE]

...You're welcome @oscsha ,...Anything else I can help you with?.......

Back
Top Bottom