Vie Long Silvertip 16510

Photos first, review later.

DSC_2287.jpg

DSC_2286.jpg

The packaging of this brush is very impressive. A complete waste on me. But as a gift, such packaging makes it special. It comes with a little plastic display stand. With a knot size of 23mm and a loft of 60mm it is obviously a floppy or, to put it more kindly, a very flexible brush. I have heard that Vie Long get their hair from the same source as Plisson. May be true. But this is not like High Mountain White or European Grey, the top two Plisson grades. It is quite the softest hair of any brush I have ever handled. I expect it to have an amazing bloom after it has been used a few times. This is a brush for creams. Lather to be made in a bowl and painted on. It will be pure indulgence - not for those who like face lathering from hard soaps.

I have just completed my first shaving session with this brush. It may be a bit soon to pass judgement but fundamentals are unlikely to change. Firm brushes do get softer. But a floppy doesn't firm up!

This is my preliminary verdict:

This is an extraordinary brush. It has the softest, silkiest hair of any of my brushes. Moderate density allied to a 23mmm knot and 60mm loft ensures that it is exceptionally floppy and flexible. Look how it blooms! The handle is distinctive and is pleasing to hold.
To put it kindly,this is a brush for bowl lathering cream users who simply want to paint on their lather with a soft gentle brush that is kind to the skin. This is not for face lathering if you want an exfoliating massage with scrubbing or circular motions.
Even for lathering in a bowl this is not an easy brush to use. It takes time to judge just how much water to leave in it and is so floppy, it's difficult to get a decent purchase on the bowl. Painting the lather on is not an unpleasant experience but it was also not the pleasure I expected it to be.
I'm glad I have the brush. It has at least allowed me to know what a brush like this has to offer the shaving enthusiast. And frankly, it's little more than a novelty and an expensive one at that at about £90.

The brush puzzles me. For the general shaver who may have only one or two brushes and is not an enthusiast, the brush would be a really impractical choice. It may look and feel good but it's really tricky to use. And apart from a few nutters like me who want to try different brushes I don't see much demand from the shaving aficionado brotherhood.

Glad you are here to take the hit for the team Fido, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it :lol:

I had looked at them and they interested me but even from the pictures alone you can see it is a big bloomer and as such is only good for slapping on the lather. Still it is another part to add to your collection; and you have indeed quite a collection. I really like that handle though, the two tone is quite different and nice looking, it is kind of what I hoped for then acrylic was mentioned an the TSR brush.

The Proraso AS Balm is lovely stuff as well, not quite got that menthol hit of the splash but it is quite soothing and cooling.

Another good review, thanks Fido. Enjoy your trip next week.

Fido , yourself as a definite brush connoisseur ;

What would you consider the "best" all around shaving brush - the one that can and will do everything ?

Thanks Audiolab - the handle is excellent. If they have a version of this brush with a loft of no more than 55 mm it will be a lot more effective.

iKon

I have been fortunate enough to try enough brushes to give me a basis for deciding my own preferences. So my "best" is just my personal opinion. It was during my collecting and research that I developed the idea of having my own brand of brushes made. That made me think about what type of brush I most enjoyed using bearing in mind I like to switch between creams and soaps and bowl and face lathering. So my "best" brush will be between 22mm and 24mm knot and a loft of around 50 to 55mm depending on the density. Then the hair. I like a brush to have a reasonable backbone and very soft tips. So for me that's two band (which is basically long best badger although there are other ways of describing it) and silvertip - of which there are different types. I prefer something often called finest silvertip which feels a bit scratchy when dry but is very soft when wet.

There are many fine brushes which come within my broad criteria for a best brush. It's hard to pick a favourite among my collection but this would be my long list in no particular order:

Plisson High Mountain White (I have a 20mm - the 22mm would be better)
Rooney Finest (Despite being overpriced!)
Simpsons Astor
Simpsons PJ2 Super
Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Shavemac 177 23mm silvertip

And I also particularly enjoy my Simpsons Chubby 2 Best, Kent BK8 and Savile Row (20mm - again a 22mm would be better)

If I had to get rid of all but one it would be a toss up between the Astor and PJ2 Super and perhaps the Plisson.

Thank you Fido!! I don´t think I´m an aficionando brush collector yet and just like Audio, I want to thank you for taking this one for the team! The blom looks very nice though and the handle is right on, but for such a pricey brush you should be able to use it to a little more than face painting :lol: , that´s only my thoughts though.

Back
Top Bottom