Vintage gillette

just received my 1951 Gillette super speed razor today from the states.

Im hooked. The shave feel completely different to any of the new razors ive tried. So smooth and no irritation at all.

One shave done and i really enjoyed.

Anyone else into vintage razors?

I can feel an itch coming on to purchase more Gillette razors. Lol

Im hooked. The shave feel completely different to any of the new razors ive tried. So smooth and no irritation at all.

Yes I like vintage razors, I have a 1960 Fatboy, a couple of 40s Gibbs and a hand full of Schick SEs dating from 1935 through to the 60s and not forgetting my Pal adjustabal and two other Pals, they shave just as well as a modern razor and there is a sense of history with them....if only they could talk! :)

Last edited:
Yes I like vintage razors, I have a 1960 Fatboy, a couple of 40s Gibbs and a hand full of Shick SEs dating from 1935 through to the 60s and not forgetting my Pal adjustabal and two other Pals, they shave just as well as a modern razor and there is a sense of history with them....if only they could talk! :)
Always love to hear your input

I find vintage DE very more-ish!

Tried a mid 60s Gillette slim adjustable about 10 months ago & went through a similar Epiphany, couldn't believe how good it was.

I now have a half dozen vintage razors from 1930-60s

In Gillette TTO the British made HD rocket & #58 aristo junior are absolutely lovely. More recently an eclipse red-ring, wow! My everyday razor is a FatBoy. Have a couple of German plastic razors, they give a great shave too.

Would not have given a vintage razor a second glance a year ago, I lusted after modern stainless pieces.

Well you live & learn, thanks TSR!

I sold most of my old Gillette razors last Fall, keeping just a few. The Tech & the Super-Speed lines were the "work horses" of their lineup for sure. Personally, I use a Tech more than any other DE razor nowadays. Its genius like simplicity never ceases to amaze me, as do the resultant shaves. Ironically, there is a theory being bandied about on another forum that the later post-war Tech razors give a better shave as their improved base plate is more stable thereby allowing more blade rigidity. I am neutral on this as I have actually measured the blade gaps on pre-war & post-war and they are the same and am more inclined to believe they shave the same.

As regards the Super-Speed, remember that Gillette changed the size of the head in the early to mid-1960's going to a smaller domed one that shave a little differently with the latter requiring a slight change in angle and being better to reach tight spots, e.g., under the schnozz.

I enjoy my Vintage razors so far I have 15 including DE and SE razors, with 2 more on the way. I have a 1958 TV Super Speed and I agree the Super Speed does give a really good shave.

I have to keep telling myself that as much as I want more Vintage Razors that for now at least I have more than enough. I missed out on a Schick Injector the other day on eBay, and as much as I was disappointed not to get it I kept telling myself it was just as well.

I would recommend that everyone try a Vintage razor at some point, there are a few on the pass arounds which are worth a try.

Its only until recently I have appreciated the vintage razors, I have had a dozen or so over the years but never had the wonderful shave everyone talks about. It all changed when I received a Gibbs from @Blademonkey and a Gillette Rocket HD from another member here (name slips my mind). Both have never failed to give me a fantastic shave, I am sure a lot is attributed to improved technique and it certainly has whetted my appetite for new exploration in the World of vintages. I would recommend exploring outside of Gillette, some fantastic shavers out there to be found.

You can't go wrong with the razors that were built to last and most have stood the test of time, if I look as good as some of these vintage razors I'd be well chuffed. Hope my mechanisms are still working at them ages!

Just the three vintage razors. At the moment! :)

70's Gillette Tech - my travel razor. Nice, mild shave but close.
1965 Gillette Slim - excellent shave.
1953 Gillette Aristocrat - WOW!!!

Keeping my eyes open for a 1971 R2 Superspeed.

Back
Top Bottom