Vintage Russian packaging on print blog

Thought this particular page of a printing blog might be of interest to some members, particularly the fans of Russian blades, it's a random collection of some great razor blade packaging:

http://flyergoodness.blogspot.co.uk/2012_08_01_archive.html

There's even a Sputnik WODX / XPOM which were tried out famously on here last year, when it turned out that XPOM just means chrome! My favourite pack is the "Battleship" design package, I wish you could still get those. Any favourites?

I'm a great fan of the blade packaging and there are some fantastic examples there.
Makes me wish I could read Russian.

I'm now wondering if I should start a wee collection as some ranges do seem to be harder to find and even discontinued.

Dandy Highwayman said:
I'm a great fan of the blade packaging and there are some fantastic examples there.
Makes me wish I could read Russian.

I'm now wondering if I should start a wee collection as some ranges do seem to be harder to find and even discontinued.

They're cool aren't they? Very Bauhaus too.

The battleship one says 'Baltika', which obviously means 'Baltic'. Many of them are for brands that still exist today: Sputnik (Спутник), Ladas (Ладас), Voskhod (Восход) and Rapira (Рапира). Other brands that don't ring a bell (to me) are Sport (Спорт) and Star (Zvevda/Звезда).

EDIT: Done a little more research now (as I should have done before posting). Most of the ones that feature cars, cameras, corn, etc., carry the letters VDNKh (ВДНХ). This refers to the "Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy" (see Wikipedia). Razor blade wrappers as propaganda!

Cheers for posting these, some really beautiful designs there.

Thanks manic, that's amazing information, I hoped someone might know a bit of Russian.
I suspected that the more intricate illustrations were more than mere packaging as they're so beautifully done, its great to see some background.

I've made a little collage of the blade packets, if anyone wants it in a larger pdf I can email, it should print out A4 no problem and would look good in a frame on decent paper with a decent printer, which I don't have :s or if you want specific ones i'll do that to.

Attachments

• 1 (500x354).jpg
    1 (500x354).jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom