Vintage soaps & creams?

While there are many companies still in existence their shaving soaps will not be the same formulas. There are also some companies that still make soap but no longer make shaving soaps, like they once did. Pears are one who come to mind. Many older companies who made shaving soap that our grandfather's may if used, like Edward Cooks of London. These were bought out by companies like Lever Brothers. I guess they could reuse the name to keep the company alive which is what has happened to some still trading today.

I tend to think of Taylor's as being the oldest company in the UK. They just seem the most authentic to my mind, though I maybe wrong as this is mostly based on tid bits of information and a lot of assumptions.

Here's a question for the experts. What are the oldest continuously manufactured soaps and creams still sold today? Are there any that go back to the 19th century? What did our noble great-grandfathers use?

English immigrant William Colgate came to the USA in 1793 and started making/selling soap in 1806. It's likely shave soap was in the mix soon thereafter. J.B. Williams started making shave soap circa 1840 in New England and it survives today, albeit "bastardized". I have some vintage Colgate Barber's Soap cakes and it is simply superb.

Addition to previous posts; Arko shaving stick has been around since 1957, Valobra is quite old but don't know if they still use the same formula with their stick and soft soap.
Needless to say Tobs, G.F.Trumper, D.R.Harris, T&Hill these are quite old but then again they don't use the old formula.

Back
Top Bottom