Vulfix brushes

I agree with Daz, the 404 Bodger is a hell of a brush and personally, I see no reason whatsoever to remove the knot but hey ho, each to their own. Some of the Vulfix handle shapes are lovely. For instance, the 223x series and the 37x series. Haven't tried any of their other brushes so can't comment on floppiness or otherwise.

Griffo said:
Maybe with Vulfix owning Simpsons they don't feel the need to give other options ? If somone buys the denser, and probably much more expensive, Simpson brush to get that denser feel then Vulfix still win don't they ?

No point competing with your sister brand maybe?

Makes sense to me.

If Vulfix wanted to be the cheaper sister brand then there's no problem with that.. but I still think they could produce a broader range of brushes with varying levels of back bone to cater for all preferences.

Cheaper doesn't necessary have to mean less back bone.. or floppy.. or whatever we choose to call it :)

I guess I'm struggling to understand what Vulfix represent as a sister company. They seem to be generally best known and most favorably regarded for

* Owning Simpsons
* Producing the 404 Bodger and as a cheap, reasonably decent brush with a nice handle

and possibly

* Producing floppy brushes for floppy lovers

:)

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I prefer a soft bristled brush as well and my Kent has served me well. I wouldn't feel OK with something even slightly harder roughing up my face. The thing that worries me about Vulfix is that all this talk of floppiness makes me think that it will lose bristles in the future. I don't feel OK when my brush loses more hair than my head!

Nonetheless, if I was on the lookout for a really good every day brush, I would probably get a Shavemac silver tip or go for a Kent BK8 just for the sake of having a bigger brush, although even the smaller T4 (BK4) Kent that I have now serves me very well.

Griffo said:
Maybe with Vulfix owning Simpsons they don't feel the need to give other options ? If somone buys the denser, and probably much more expensive, Simpson brush to get that denser feel then Vulfix still win don't they ?

Good point. Didn't think of that before.

I like playing about reknotting brushes and playing with hair types and loft.

Currently on the lookout for a nice Buttscotch and a 404 handle.......
;-)

I reckon a Vulfix 404 in either 22 or 24mm with a bit more density would be an awesome brush.

I guess that price is the problem here. A nicely packed Bodger takes it from cheap and cheerful and into low end badger territory.

I for one would pay maybe £20-£25 for a nicely packed 24mm 404 Bodger in the Grovesnor handle.....

I think it would take some beating....

Gairdner said:
I agree with Daz, the 404 Bodger is a hell of a brush and personally, I see no reason whatsoever to remove the knot but hey ho, each to their own. Some of the Vulfix handle shapes are lovely. For instance, the 223x series and the 37x series. Haven't tried any of their other brushes so can't comment on floppiness or otherwise.

Griffo said:

Makes sense to me.

Guilty as charged, your Honour!

The Mrs has finally relented and says she will help me find that particular 404 then package everything up tonight for posting tomorrow. I really am so very sorry......:blush::blush::blush:

If turns out she has binned the older one with the Bombay ducked knot, I'll send you my newer 'in service' one. I have two handles in the 'works' that are nearing completion - one for Smallbeard and t'other for me so it ain't like I'm short of brushes.

What do you think of the ethics of breaking a Simpson's Colonel handle just get the knot out so I can set it at a slightly lower loft in a handle that I may carve at some point in the future.

Hi Graeme,

I look forward to your parcel with heightened anticipation... I spoke with Daz and arranged all orders from him to you are to spend a ransom period with me!

Now, brushes. I wold say that removing a Simpson knot intact is a VERY big risk indeed..... I once flicked my Duke 3 best to dry it, dropped it and shattered the handle.

Gutted, but I did get an insight into how the knot is fitted. The plug is bonded to the inside of the handle pretty well, so removing it is a no no in my humble opinion.

PM on route....

Gairdner said:
Guilty as charged, your Honour!

The Mrs has finally relented and says she will help me find that particular 404 then package everything up tonight for posting tomorrow. I really am so very sorry......:blush::blush::blush:

If turns out she has binned the older one with the Bombay ducked knot, I'll send you my newer 'in service' one. I have two handles in the 'works' that are nearing completion - one for Smallbeard and t'other for me so it ain't like I'm short of brushes.

What do you think of the ethics of breaking a Simpson's Colonel handle just get the knot out so I can set it at a slightly lower loft in a handle that I may carve at some point in the future.

got my wife a vulfix suoer badger at £40 loaf try as people say but the quality of the hair is up there with my duke 2 suoer badger I paid £125 for, But the duke 2 is a whole different animal. The wife loves it for her legs but for £75 to £80, you could get the duke 2 in best badger, simpson best they say is as good as other brands silvertip badger. Vulfix bought over simpson a few year back also.

Although not widely known around here it would seem, Vulfix is primarily engaged as an OEM for many of the top brand brushes you see around the globe.

Vulfix manufacture in excess of 500 No. different handle designs. What you see in a store or on the Vulfix website is perhaps only the tip of a rather large iceberg.

Hope this helps a little gents.

Kind regards,

Mark
Managing Director (Vulfix & Simpson)

Back
Top Bottom