Wade and Butcher 6/8

angelix said:
regrinding it is not an option, i like to keep it with the same "design" as it was intended by the maker.

I regret having polished it, now it is a little bit to late!

Earlier this evening I did take some of the shine away.... now, I think , it looks a little better but it still needs some work...

I will try an experiment, if it works I will let you know what I did and post the results.

You won't be changing the design look at this razor in the link a much older razor than yours which as also undergone a regrind, you are not exactly changing a rare or precious razor It's hardly the crown jewels or razors.
http://straightrazorplace.com/custom-builts-restorations/117614-old-stubtail-regrind-rescale.html

Is there any pitting on the edge? If there is then re-grinding the hollows may be your best option of getting a usable razor. I also imagine than once the chips have been honed out your going to have a seriously wide bevel which will make honing pretty long winded. Again an argument for a re-grind.

Finally I got the WnB completed.

I struggled a little with the whole project, somehow nothoing was going the way I wanted... the last straw was the scales, I had to redo them 3 times: the first time the horns splitted right in the middle, the second time it was my fault, the third time was the good one, finally!

I went for a lead wedge, I think I made it a touch thicker, but the weight balances the razor just right, it feels good in the hand.

The new scales are not perfect, but that is the exact look I wanted, so they match the old pitted blade and I went for double washers and brass pins.

The honing took quite sometime but I managed to get a good edge and the shave was quite enjoyable, BUT.... BUT....

I dont know if I like shaving with it, I think is too big, too heavy, too.... I dont know... I guess i need to shave with it few times then decide what to do.

Anyway, here are the pictures , please feel free to comment !

attachment.php

Attachments

• WnB restored.jpg
    WnB restored.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 64
What's the balance like - if it feels too heavy, maybe there is too much weight in the scales. It looks to me as if they are fine - maybe they could be a bit thinner but nothing that suggests your weight problem.

My only observation is that I would have made a wedge instead of spacer just to get a nice curve into the scales. However, overall they look good.

UKRob said:
What's the balance like - if it feels too heavy, maybe there is too much weight in the scales. It looks to me as if they are fine - maybe they could be a bit thinner but nothing that suggests your weight problem.

My only observation is that I would have made a wedge instead of spacer just to get a nice curve into the scales. However, overall they look good.

The balance is OK, if you put the razor open on a ruler right in the middle (pivot point) it will balance perfectly.

I did a wedge, in fact before fitting the blade i had around 1" space before closing the scales; After sanding it the lead has taken a wider appeareance, although, maybe , next time I might keep it even more "wedged"

Anyway, I think my "dislike" is related to the overall weight in combination with the with of the blade; out of all my razors the ones I prefer tend to be in the size 5/8" or less, so I suppose my issues are just related to "preference".

I will keep shaving with it , just to see how it goes, worse case scenario I will just put it on ebay, I am sure I can find a new owner straight away.

And now to the NEXT ONE...

Back
Top Bottom