Wade & Butcher Celebrated in Horn

A few weeks ago one of our straight shaving fraternity mentioned how he'd lusted after a 1" Filarmonica and I (foolishly) stated that I couldn't see the point of such a big blade. So, what happened immediately after? This 15/16" W&B Celebrated is what - and I couldn't resist it.

I've made some brown horn scales and because the blade is so heavy, left them a bit chunkier than usual and with the additional weight of a brass wedge means that the balance is fine.

I can date the blade to prior to late 1880s given that the stamp states Sheffield - after about 1887, all blades were marked 'Sheffield, England'.

For such an old blade there is little honing on the spine and the edge took a surprisingly even bevel using two lots of tape and gave an incredibly smooth shave.

Hope you like it.

IMG_0978_zps72218b0b.jpg

IMG_0977_zpsdf82bc10.jpg

IMG_0971_zps6966172e.jpg

IMG_0973_zps439ddcc0.jpg

IMG_0981_zps49a1083d.jpg

IMG_0983_zpse6e9456a.jpg

Nice looking razor Rob, I like the scales, I would say a set of horn scales really go well with those big Wade & Butcher's nice job on using double washers also, those big razors somehow don't look right without them.

Jamie

There are some fantastic restoration pieces on the forum here. Just about most of the best looking straights I've seen have been shown here.

This one's no exception. Beautifully figured horn, that brass spacer and those classy pins. Man, it looks good... Well done, Rob!

Mark

Dr Rick said:
Oh my. I suspect that's not for sale, but should you choose to move it I'll be interested!

This one's a keeper for now Rick. Although having seen that Lee at a Sharper Razor has one up for sale at $799 in original scales, who knows.

Now that's a thing of true beauty and no mistake! Very well done on the restoration. Another piece of British history saved.

Back
Top Bottom