Watch Recommendations

So I am looking at watches. Here's some info:

I have a budget of around £200-£250, but would pay a bit more for the right one.
I have looked at Rotary watches as I like seeing the mechanism move about, but I am a bit afraid I won't be able to see the actual hands of the clock very well.
I'd like one with the date on it, although that isn't absolutely required.
I love the London Underground, so anything like that or railway related, I'm in.
My favourite era is 1930/1940 (more with cars than anything else).
I don't know if I want a metal or leather strap. I am thinking metal as that would be more durable?
I prefer a sweeping second hand rather than a tick-tick.
My wedding ring is silver and gold.

So with all that in mind, I have no idea where to shop. I took a look online and found this rotary watch, which looks nice.

I took a look at this retro watch.

The elegance of the rotary (certainly that particular watch) will win over the retro London Underground look though.

Any pointers / shops / advice?

There is a lot to be looking at. I have always wanted an Omega and for the money you are looking at you should be able to pick up a decent vintage one. Try looking at a reputable seller on eBay. Otherwise I have been looking at timefactors and they have some really nice watches on there. Precista, Smiths etc. Both of those should be in your price range. Have a look at the link. http://timefactors.com/smiths.htm the Smiths "Big Date" at the bottom is one I have been looking at recently. Railway style much like the Mondaine watches but it's a Smiths and is only £100. Nice looking watch to be fair. Worth a look. I could go on and am sure many others will have worthy recommendations. Good luck with the search.
Chris

Edit - only just looked at your link and saw it was a Mondaine, so maybe you might like the Smiths big date. Otherwise Mondaine are nice watches, bought the Mrs one a couple of years back for Christmas...

Seeing the movement, and a sweeping second hand? You are looking mechanical, either auto or manual. At this price point, in my opinion, Seiko is king, although Hamilton, Rotary and countless others have nice offerings.

Keep in mind though that mechanical watches are not buy and forget options in the way quartz watches are.

OrangeSport said:
Seeing the movement, and a sweeping second hand? You are looking mechanical, either auto or manual. At this price point, in my opinion, Seiko is king, although Hamilton, Rotary and countless others have nice offerings.

Keep in mind though that mechanical watches are not buy and forget options in the way quartz watches are.

+1 on Seiko. Excellent movements.

Bit more money but this has a classic look

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-75/seiko-automatic-watch-6r15-sarb072-2480.html

If you like the railway, have a look at mondaine http://www.mondaine.com/
They are the Swiss railway clock people. I love the clean faces.
You probably won't get a mechanical one with your money. But they do look nice.
Otherwise +1 for timefactors, I have had my eye on a Smiths military replica for a while now.
Have fun choosing.

Alistair72 said:
If you like the railway, have a look at mondaine http://www.mondaine.com/
They are the Swiss railway clock people. I love the clean faces.
You probably won't get a mechanical one with your money. But they do look nice.
Otherwise +1 for timefactors, I have had my eye on a Smiths military replica for a while now.
Have fun choosing.

That's basically a re-branded Traser H3 watch I've worn one for years they are practically unbreakable.

pugh-the-special-one said:
If you like seeing the movement I have a Hamilton khaki field automatic with an exhibition back I wear the watch daily a very nice little watch.

That is an uncommonly handsome watch, Jamie. A dark brown strap and that for me would be horological wrist perfection. :D

Gairdner said:
If you like seeing the movement I have a Hamilton khaki field automatic with an exhibition back I wear the watch daily a very nice little watch.

That is an uncommonly handsome watch, Jamie. A dark brown strap and that for me would be horological wrist perfection. :D

Strangely enough Graeme I've been thinking of replacing the strap with a brown strap you just may have made my decision for me.

Gairdner said:

Strangely enough Graeme I've been thinking of replacing the strap with a brown strap you just may have made my decision for me.

One from here would be glorious: Vintage Watch Straps

A two piece, leather NATO or even a Bund would work beautifully with such a handsome watch.

Thanks for the tips :D

I've taken a look at the websites and after chatting with the Fiancee, I think an "elegant style" watch is what I am looking at.

While I like a sweeping second hand, it's actually not a deal breaker. I like the look of the Mondaine watches but I would prefer to look at a bit more of a classic style. I could always get it later on.

I still like the look of the Rotary, but I am a bit concerned that I will get sick of looking at the tiny dials to see the extra info. Am I trying to get too much out of a watch? I guess I'd be happy with just the date as I am used to using 24 hour clock anyway.

Is metal or leather a better strap and why?

OrangeSport said:

So I guess mechanical watches require winding up?
If so, I'd forgo that feature. However it seems I have got watches all wrong :S Are skeleton watches battery operated? I don't think I would like one which I have to keep winding up or worry about keep moving to keep it going :/

EDIT: Yes, it appears skeleton watches are either automatic or manual - no batteries, which means for what I want, I can't get. I am just afraid an automatic watch may stop on me at some point and then it'll be a large cost to get it re-started?

EDIT 2: Well, now I am thinking more towards this rotary watch. It has what I need without being too obstructive - just no mechanics. I keep coming back to Rotary designs. Many others look a bit too "techy" for what I want. But then I would forgo the battery for an automatic mechanics watch.

EDIT 3: Perhaps something like this would be a compromise. Unless I can find a similar with the date added.

Hmm, this is going to be more complicated than I thought.

Automatics can be wound manually just like a regular watch.
I park mine and they will stop naturally at some point. Just pull the crown out to reset pop it back in, give it some turns - best look this up for the given movement - and away you go.

You seem tobe over complicating things!

Manual wind, means a mechanical movement (no batteries) that you have to wind every 2 days or so to keep it going. If it stops you wind it up and reset the hands and date. Off you go!

Automatic, again mechanical movement (no batteries) these have a little rotor inside that does the winding for you naturally during the day when you are wearing it. If you leave it off for a couple of days it will stop and again you will have to give it 'a little shake' and it will re-start on it's own and you reset the time & date. Some automatic movement can be hand wound too.

Quartz, battery operated, no need to wind, just set time and date and the battery will last 2-5 years. Normally very accurate and reliable.
These normally don't have a sweep second hand they go, tick...tick...tick etc
BUT...there are newer quartz watches that have 'gizmos' that mimic a sweeping second hand. The Seiko SpringDrive for instance.

If it were my money....Seiko 5 Automatic OR Seiko Kinetic, the Seiko 5 is a bullet proof, reliable, accurate automatic mechanical watch that comes in many different designs, including classic with day/date. You get a nice sweeping hand too ;)
The Seiko Kinetic is quartz watch with a difference, it has a rotor inside that charges something like a rechargeable battery so it will not need a replacement battery, it just keeps going (or that's the theory) if you do not wear the watch it will stop but as soon as you give it a shake it starts again and memorises the time and resets itself ;)

I had a Seiko Kinetic bought from Costco many moons ago. I found out that I don't really get on with a metal wrist-band so eventually gave it to my brother, otherwise known as Dr Destructo, who breaks, warps, bends, twists, scrapes and generally renders everything within a 3' radius of himself, utterly knackered. CDs are but beermats to the sod! Well, I saw him at our folks the other day and asked him if that watch I gave him was still alive? He stuck his arm out and revealed said watch which was ticking merrily away and looking far more pristine that any possession of his has a right to. Aye, so +1 for Seiko durability and the Kinetic movement.

If it were me buying a new watch, I'd have that Hamilton Khaki Auto in a heartbeat! Mind you the Timefactor's Smith's military mechanical with a leather NATO from Vintage Watch Straps would be lovely but more expensive than the Hamilton from Creation.

Back
Top Bottom