Welcome To 'Big School'

Took delivery of a Merkur Slant 37C yesterday.

Put it together, put it up to my face - it felt rough with no blade in it.The finish WAS rough, several bits of excess chrome (?) around the guard at the corners. I spent 10 minutes carefully removing bits of excess razor with a nail file.

Someone at Merkur should go and buy a Muhle R89 Grande and examine the finish and then decide -

A) They are lucky to be still in business.
B) They should retool and finish their razors properly.

Anyway, it's fine now and today I had a Big Boy's shave with the Slant and it was very good. I found one pass took enough off for a 'good enough for work' shave. To get a BBS took as many passes as usual. I used a new Persona Lab Blue.

Overall a smooth close shaver and no, I didn't cut myself.

Back of the net

Crossroads said:
Took delivery of a Merkur Slant 37C yesterday.

Put it together, put it up to my face - it felt rough with no blade in it.The finish WAS rough, several bits of excess chrome (?) around the guard at the corners. I spent 10 minutes carefully removing bits of excess razor with a nail file.

Someone at Merkur should go and buy a Muhle R89 Grande and examine the finish and then decide -

A) They are lucky to be still in business.
B) They should retool and finish their razors properly.

Anyway, it's fine now and today I had a Big Boy's shave with the Slant and it was very good. I found one pass took enough off for a 'good enough for work' shave. To get a BBS took as many passes as usual. I used a new Persona Lab Blue.

Overall a smooth close shaver and no, I didn't cut myself.

Back of the net

Hi There

I recieved delivery of my Merkur 37c yesterday also. :blush:

Following reading your post I decided to inspect my own as I have had no time to even open the package. I was very dissapointed to see the same quality control issues you have mentioned with the excess chrome etc.

I have a Merkur HD which is my go to razor. I was so happy with this I thought I would try the 37c slant razor also as I have a very coarse beard and thought this would make my shaves that much more comfortable.

I have not used this yet and think I will have to get the nail file out also. This is rather shocking and Merkur need to fix there tooling issues out quickly. Needless to say I may not be purchasing another Merkur razor and may just send this back for a refund.

cheers and happy shaving

OZ

Just read both these post with some amount of foreboding now, as I'm awaiting delivery of a Progress which I ordered the other day. Will report back if there's anything amiss.

Jute Man said:
Just read both these post with some amount of foreboding now, as I'm awaiting delivery of a Progress which I ordered the other day. Will report back if there's anything amiss.

Forbode not... the Progress is an excellent razor and I'll be amazed if there is anything amiss

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-13974.html

I just searched 'merkur quality control' and got loads of hits, including a thread from this forum from June 2012 -link above.

Seems to be the sub £40 which are affected.

WiffWaff said:
Jute Man said:

Forbode not... the Progress is an excellent razor and I'll be amazed if there is anything amiss

Glad to hear that, Steve - breathing normally again!

The Merkur Progress is a superb razor from what I have read and heard. Fantastic reviews all over the internet. There were some issues some time back regarding the adjustment barrel. I have heard they have sorted this technicality out rest assured.
To be fair though I expect more from Merkur sub 40 pounds regardless . Pick up a Edwin Jagger de89 and it is flawless. The blue chrome is stunning, worth every penny. So in summary if Edwin Jagger can do this why cannot Merkur.
once I have cleaned the chrome out on the Murkur 37c I'm sure it will be a great shave.

I can feel the shaving withdrawal symptoms lol. Just don't fancy cutting up my face as 24hrs since my last shave I am just feeling a slight shadow coming over me !

ofaleiro said:
The Merkur Progress is a superb razor from what I have read and heard. Fantastic reviews all over the internet. There were some issues some time back regarding the adjustment barrel. I have heard they have sorted this technicality out rest assured.

The biggest problem is faced by the Progress is uneven blade exposure (google "merkur progress uneven blade exposure" and see what you get) because the blade is basically held on the end of a spring.

Hi everyone its funny notthestig has mentioned this. I too do not like the plastic adjustment knob either.

There is a solution to this which is the Merkur Mergress. Have a look into this one. A very nice fellow shaving fan called Eric gas sorted this problem out and adjusted and perfected the blade movement.

A very nice razor that has been modified tastefully and precisely.

I just checked my 37c and it too has excess chrome in the comb area.

However I still feel it gives me the best shaves of the razors I own (closely followed by the vintage NEW open combs).

I also like the sharpness of the knurling which makes it feel really secure in the hand - sometimes my DE89L feels like trying to wrestle an eel by comparison!

Just received my new Progress this morning - looks fine, and can't see any problems with blade alignment. Saving it's first use for a couple of weeks though - baby on the way means we're moving house at the beginning of next month and I don't want it getting lost in the myriad of boxes that are taking up every area of floor space here!

Back
Top Bottom