What A Great Two Months

Well here I am two months down the line from my first DE shave, stood in front of the mirror thinking am I really going to shave with an old fashion razor? The answer is of course yes and am so glad that I did. It may be a familiar story just a different beginning, while researching how to use shaving oil instead of Gillette Gel out of a tin I stumbled first on DE shaving then this site, having sampled a couple of American sites, this struck a chord registered then introduced myself in the Welcome bit.
First surprise people introduced themselves and made me feel welcome, very odd thought I but very nice. At the same time an HD Merkur 34C that I had ordered was delivered, pure fluke at this time that I had chosen what turned out to be a popular starter razor. What to do next? Mantic's video was a common theme at this point so sat down and watched the essential material, saw I needed a brush so ordered a Kent KB2 best badger and some MWF soap in the ceramic dish. At this point the sensible thing would be to await arrival of brush and soap then start DE shaving, but I was fired up after watching Mantic had the Merkur in hand and a tiny pot of oil that I had just used for the last few days with the 5 blade fusion.
After 3 shaves with the Merkur and oil, the brush and soap arrived, oil ditched and we carried on from there. No blood loss yet, or razor burn, result. All this while research was taking place reading posts and back articles, gleaning as much information as I could with ought spending money. So 3 weeks later with no money spent other than a bit of paypal, iKon bulldog handle standard head brushed stainless steel, how did that get ordered, better be sensible and order an Edward Jagger 87C to go with it, + sample packs of blades to go with both razors, how did that happen?
The iKon and then Edward Jagger arrived Ikon just before Xmas nice present to myself !!! Jagger just after Xmas sensible now see nearly the new year. Soap some Nanny's of course turned up review of that was posted, can a newby do such a thing, seems I was not strung up so yes you can. Postings on subjects followed chat sight found and banter ensued. My first pif arrived totally amazing me never having heard or witnessed this happening restoring my faith in human nature.
Now an odd thing occurred, from a member from France who shall remain nameless a cheap flare tip arrived and my love of Vintage blossomed. Suffice to say my 2 razor rotation is now an Aristocrat Junior again from France then restored and re plated in 6 days flat by Dave at safetyrazor.co.uk and a Slim from another member. MWF is now my soap of choice and a NF2211 brush completes the line up, again bought from a member of this site. Blades I will try as I go along.
During this time I have made genuine friends learned a lot about DE shaving had a great laugh and enjoyed shaving again, missing in these two months probably 3 shaves at most and touch wood still not cut myself, hate pain and blood !!!!

Well said!

And thanks for your contributions. A lot of people don't realise what they are in for when they discover a forum like this. And it's being repeated across the internet on a wide range of subjects. It's a very different world to the one many of us grew up in. I still have mixed feelings about which one I prefer. There's no going back. But I'm pleased I now enjoy shaving too.

Fido said:
Well said!

And thanks for your contributions. A lot of people don't realise what they are in for when they discover a forum like this. And it's being repeated across the internet on a wide range of subjects. It's a very different world to the one many of us grew up in. I still have mixed feelings about which one I prefer. There's no going back. But I'm pleased I now enjoy shaving too.

Thanks Fido I know where you are coming from this is the first site I have ever been involved in and has been a steep learning curve. Computers did not exist for me till well into my last career, as you say they are a mixed blessing but with ought a doubt, have made DE research far easier, faster and of course fun.

I agree with Fido!...where would I be without facial shaving curiosity.... :lol:
Well..I would be fighting to shave knowing I'll suffer with severe razorburn

B

Great post Pete,
Echo what you say about this site great bunch of lads on here the piffing thing is what makes this site great as well and as you said Pete restores your faith in human nature.
The advice on here is second to none and it does not matter if you think your question is stupid there is always someone who will point you in the right direction.
Like Peter says some genuine friends made on here and a lot of shite spoken on the chat room and the banter is great.
So i would like to raise a glass to everyone on here for making my 3 months a very enjoyable 3 months.

Oh one more thing cheers everyone for making my bank account a bit lighter :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom