What are you eating tonight?

It always amuses me how expensive rhubarb is in UK supermarkets. It takes virtually no effort to grow and, once established, sprouts almost like a weed!

We have kilos of it now and I'm running out of ideas what to do with it! Someone suggested making rhubarb chutney to go with pork which sounds quite nice.

Tall_Paul said:
It always amuses me how expensive rhubarb is in UK supermarkets. It takes virtually no effort to grow and, once established, sprouts almost like a weed!

We have kilos of it now and I'm running out of ideas what to do with it! Someone suggested making rhubarb chutney to go with pork which sounds quite nice.

Exactly ! I recall as a lad visiting my grandparents. Grandad had a big garden he grew loads of fruit and veg. Down the bottom. Was a large rhubarb crown that he let grow and expand its self. We use to help him cut huge stalks some weighing in at a lb a stalk.

What about rhubarb fool ?

Northam Saint said:
Exactly ! I recall as a lad visiting my grandparents. Grandad had a big garden he grew loads of fruit and veg. Down the bottom. Was a large rhubarb crown that he let grow and expand its self. We use to help him cut huge stalks some weighing in at a lb a stalk.

What about rhubarb fool ?

Fool is nice. I quite fancy trying rhubarb chutney, looks very easy to make.

Tall_Paul said:

... with mackerel, too.

Tall_Paul said:
Rhubarb from the garden, home-made crumble mix and a tin of Ambrosia custard. That'll do. :D

Tall_Paul said:

Northam Saint said:
Exactly ! I recall as a lad visiting my grandparents. Grandad had a big garden he grew loads of fruit and veg.

First of all, Paul, I hadda look up that Ambrosia stuff and it sounds strange (what a surprise). No eggs in custard? Oy vey!

I am guessing it's 'prepared' for serving by punching a few holes in the can's top and sticking it on the stove gas/electric burner to warm through. Is that still too much work? You even bother using it other than at room temp?

Only time I remember eating rhubarb is raw about 60 years ago. Yep, there was a large empty lot in Chicago and a neighborhood garden was there every year. Everyone grew what they liked and one guy had rhubarb. Man, it was sour. Heh, can't ever recall having it in a pie but i must have and just didn't like it.

Been a large building on that spot since the early 60s.

Martin

Tall_Paul said:

Yeah but have you tried growing sugar cane, you need kilos of that too.

My mom made the most amazing rhubarb 'cream/soup'. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of sugar in it and I clearly remember the rhubarb boiling on the stove and me eagerly awaiting it to be ready :)

Lunch: [attachment=14017]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431798326.440268.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431798326.440268.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 19
dodgy said:
First of all, Paul, I hadda look up that Ambrosia stuff and it sounds strange (what a surprise). No eggs in custard? Oy vey!

I am guessing it's 'prepared' for serving by punching a few holes in the can's top and sticking it on the stove gas/electric burner to warm through. Is that still too much work? You even bother using it other than at room temp?

You'd have to try it, Mart but I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. It's very nice and much better than packet custard.

Tip it into a saucepan, warm it up and Bob's yer uncle.

Hiya,

Some of you know about Chicago and the hot dog. Thousands of those small joints all over the place. Bunch of different varieties and everyone has their favorite with Vienna being mine. Plus, some pop more than others when they're bit, which I like.

One smart move in fairly recent years is the occasional stand owners using fresh cut fries, not frozen or formed. Makes a difference where I go for sure. Some joints even have sweet potato fries which are excellent. Heh, the local one near me as a kid had good dogs, a few good pinballs and had a bookie shop in the back for the horses.

Here's a place I never tried so no idea of the food. Atmosphere is pretty amusing though. There you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zPlnhymCU

Back
Top Bottom