What are you reading at the moment?

joe mcclaine said:
Bamboo Blade by Masahiro Totsuka and Aguri Igarashi (manga / comic book).

Presentaly listening to this rubbishhttp://www.audible.co.uk/pd?asin=B004FU0B2I (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami ) nearly 26 hours of pretentious drivel, only toughing out to the end to find out how the "hero" meets his, hopefully grizzly end, bamboo blade sounds good.
I think my next Japanese cultural experience will be a magna comic, Bamboo blade sounds good.

Regards
Kevin

Finished "John McNab". Of the dozen or so Buchan novels I've read this was probably the most straightforwardly entertaining - loved it.

The idea was to read something a bit more heavyweight, but instead this came along:
9781848540316.jpg

so "Troilus and Criseyde" will have to wait a bit longer.

I fancied a relaxed read for the daily commute: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is my current kindle squeeze.

It's actually a re-read, but last time was probably 20 odd years ago.

Still working my way through Nicholas Nickleby. It's very enjoyable to read, a little challenging at times due to the style of the language. Funny and sad with some timeless satire thrown in. Typical Dickens from what I've heard.

"The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes" by Ted Riccardi

Sherlock Holmes is dead—or so most of the world thinks. His fatal plunge over the Reichenbach Falls as he struggled with his archenemy, Moriarty, has been widely reported.

But Holmes has escaped and is alive.

In his immediate circle, only Holmes's brother, the lethargic genius Mycroft, knows of his survival. Even Dr. Watson thinks that the great detective is dead. Among his enemies, Sebastian Moran, Moriarty's chief henchman, knows of Holmes's probable escape and waits for their inevitable meeting.

From 1891 to 1894, Holmes wanders through Asia. He is alone, without Watson, without Scotland Yard, armed only with his physical strength and endur-ance and his revered cold logic and rationality.

The adventures recounted in The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes range from Lhasa to Katmandu, from the East Indies to the deserts of Rajasthan. In Tibet and throughout the Orient, Holmes is caught up in the diplomatic machinations of British imperialism that Rudyard Kipling dubbed “the Great Game.” He confronts the tsarist agent Dorjiloff, the great art thief Anton Furer, and the mysterious Captain Fantôme. And here, written in Holmes's own words, is the account of “The Giant Rat of Sumatra,” for which until now he so famously thought the world unprepared.

For Holmes's fans throughout the world, the stories in The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes fill in an enigmatic gap, the cause of so much speculation in the great detective's career.

It has been variable to say the least... at one stage there was a king on the British throne in 1892 - clearly the author did not do some of his research too well. Other than these occasional jars - no worse than some of the other Holmes canon.

I'm about halfway through Nanowhere
On the face of it you'd think it was "Young Adult", but you would be wrong - a lot more gruesome. Also tough going in places with the pseudoscience and the rambling bits ... hit the clicker and you can treat them the same way as Tolkein's songs and poems in LOTR!

I'm going to finish it, but only because I want to see how it ends

The "Lilly Aphrodite" book exceeded my modest expectations. It's no literary tour de force but obviously well researched on early 20th century Berlin and German silent cinema - thus ticking two boxes for me.

Poor old Chaucer is still on hold. Now reading:
100975-until-thy-wrath-be-past-book-cover.jpg

ebilpirate said:
I fancied a relaxed read for the daily commute: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is my current kindle squeeze.

It's actually a re-read, but last time was probably 20 odd years ago.

Listening to that one on audiobooks at the moment, just up to part where the hero rejects Buddha. Siddhartha is my first Herman Hesse novel, I suspect Hesse would have worked better for me 20 odd years ago.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom