what brush for new DE shaver

How about a Vulfix 404 mixed badger and boar for around £13 on Amazon?

For the money, it's a superb brush. I found it fine, despite having used only badger brushes before. It does seem to have a bit more backbone - helpful when lathering soaps - and it is larger than some of the regular-sized Simpsons offerings, so easier to get stuck in with it.

My MÜHLE 25mm synthetic lost about a dozen during the first four shaves and I got really concerned. Nothing since - and it's now my top brush. No other synthetic lost a single bristle ever...
Since I bought my 25mm MÜHLE STF just before Christmas, it's only lost one hair, and the 23mm version I used before that hasn't lost any at all up until now. The MÜHLE synthetics are really good, but for the 25mm and the 23mm together I paid €109, so I suppose they should be.:D
Otherwise, I'm an absolute synthetic fan: mine are lather generating monsters, with enough backbone to handle hard soaps as well as creams, they dry in no time at all, which is handy when you're travelling, and they don't stink of dead badger. What's not to like?

I had a quick look at the 404 bodger before handing it over. Definitely more backbone than any of the badgers I've come across, much more on a par with my boar (Omega 49), but a nice blend. It should soften over time. Ideal if you prefer soap though.

Since I bought my 25mm MÜHLE STF just before Christmas, it's only lost one hair, and the 23mm version I used before that hasn't lost any at all up until now. The MÜHLE synthetics are really good, but for the 25mm and the 23mm together I paid €109, so I suppose they should be.:D
Otherwise, I'm an absolute synthetic fan: mine are lather generating monsters, with enough backbone to handle hard soaps as well as creams, they dry in no time at all, which is handy when you're travelling, and they don't stink of dead badger. What's not to like?
I have to agree

The Muhle / EJ 25mm extra large synthetic is probably best in class by a fraction

Best value, including postage costs would be either a Whipped Dog or Maggards 24mm

My razorock synth brush arrived today.

It is nice and soft and very comfortable on my face. Just what I wanted. Fantastic suggestion, many thanks.

My boar brush is beginning to soften with use so I will hang onto it but the razorock is already my favourite.

Just out of curiosity how does a synth compare to a silvertip feel wise

The silver tip badger that I have is as soft as silk, it feels a bit like gently massaging my face with the softest sponge which feels great but can struggle a bit with harder soaps.
I've recently bought a boar and a mixed boar, they feel a lot more like you'd expect a shaving brush to feel.
Not sure if that helps.

@Blackmass and @Blademonkey

Blackmass kindly forwarded me a badger brush to try. I believe it was originally passed to him by blademonkey. After only one shave with it this morning I can see why badger is held in high regard. It did seem to lather the soap quickly. It is soft on the face but still holds enough backbone to pick up the soap. I already have a boar and pillsoft brushes and although I do like them the badger is a step up.

Many thanks blackmass

@Blackmass and @Blademonkey

Blackmass kindly forwarded me a badger brush to try. I believe it was originally passed to him by blademonkey. After only one shave with it this morning I can see why badger is held in high regard. It did seem to lather the soap quickly. It is soft on the face but still holds enough backbone to pick up the soap. I already have a boar and pillsoft brushes and although I do like them the badger is a step up.

Many thanks blackmass

Hi Phil,
Glad you like it. Beware, badger brushes are an expensive thing to get into.:p

Cheers
Rob

As @Finton Stack as posted earlier. I would consider the Simpsons Colonel in the BST section.

I went from 'The Blademonkey' to a Simpsons Duke 3 in 'Best', great brush.

Good luck.

@phil-b If you don't fancy the brush on BST or you do and miss out on it. I can recommend two brushes that I have and are both well priced. I am really impressed with these brushes.

Hans Baier Silver Tip, I picked mine up in the Hague but you can get them for a good price if you look around, for example here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Seitz-Kreuznach?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Kent BK4/BLK4 - Only £39.99 on costco.co.uk online. I was really lucky as costco gave me £10 voucher when I joined costco online, I was already a costco member but not an online one, after I joined I never bought anything and then the email arrived with the £10 voucher so it only cost £29.99! they also have BK8/BLK8 at £49.99. The Kent is floppier than the Hans Baier but it is still a fantastic brush.

My brush wish list is quite short, a Simpsons Chubby Synthetic and a Shavemac. The only problem with the Shavemac other than the cost is which one to get there are so many options!

Back
Top Bottom