what can you take abroad shaving wise on planes etc?

saj

hey so was wondering what can you take abroad shaving wise on planes etc?

What sort of setup do you guys normally have?

Was going to search but now post COVID thought some rules might've changed a fair bit as things have calmed down

Never experienced or seen anything with covid restrictions and shaving gear. The only restrictions I've seen are the standard ones around no blades and limited liquids with carry on, but that's been in place for years.

Hold Luggage - You can stick what you like in your hold luggage (or at least I have and have never had a problem). I took my blackbird, Gillette Tech, blades and a couple of sets on my last trip to SA with no drama.

Carry on - You can tempt fate and take a blade-less safety razor but be prepared for people not in the know to take it at security. I think you can get away with a cartridge with carry on, or you could the last time I went researching.

Like Crossan says.
No problems with anything in checked in luggage. I tried two times last year to take a three piece razor in a carry on (no blades), and both times it was flagged in security and they wanted to see the razor. I chatted to them while they were physically checking my bag, and the my conclusion is that: a) scanners can't sufficiently see through the metal parts, so they can't tell if there's a blade or not; and b) a solid metal handle has a suspicious shape, esp without a head screwed on it.
So - I think I'll try again sometime when I'm not pressed for time at the airport, but at a minimum I'd suggest putting the razor and any heads into the toiletry ziploc and take it out of the bag. This will save you from security digging through the bag.

Never experienced or seen anything with covid restrictions and shaving gear. The only restrictions I've seen are the standard ones around no blades and limited liquids with carry on, but that's been in place for years.

Hold Luggage - You can stick what you like in your hold luggage (or at least I have and have never had a problem). I took my blackbird, Gillette Tech, blades and a couple of sets on my last trip to SA with no drama.

Carry on - You can tempt fate and take a blade-less safety razor but be prepared for people not in the know to take it at security. I think you can get away with a cartridge with carry on, or you could the last time I went researching.
So to confirm as I'm confused you can take de blades with safety razor with hold luggage or just a safety razor and source de blades at destination?

I seen carts are okay on hold luggage and carry on

Wasnt sure if I could take the leaf and twig with a few tucks in the hold luggage?

Like Crossan says.
No problems with anything in checked in luggage. I tried two times last year to take a three piece razor in a carry on (no blades), and both times it was flagged in security and they wanted to see the razor. I chatted to them while they were physically checking my bag, and the my conclusion is that: a) scanners can't sufficiently see through the metal parts, so they can't tell if there's a blade or not; and b) a solid metal handle has a suspicious shape, esp without a head screwed on it.
So - I think I'll try again sometime when I'm not pressed for time at the airport, but at a minimum I'd suggest putting the razor and any heads into the toiletry ziploc and take it out of the bag. This will save you from security digging through the bag.
Yea was thinking of taking a few bic single edge metal carts which is my favourite cart so not really an issue but was wondering what my options were

Yea could use one of those required clear 20cm by 20cm liquid bag to put it in so can pull it out with ease and everything is visible, I mean those bags are required for hand luggage but suppose could come in handy for the hold luggage too?

Yep, blades, soap, razor, alcohol splash all in hold luggage with no problem.

For carry on, though you can take certain things on, I would avoid it if you can. It's hardly worth the time explaining yourself if you don't have to and it avoids the risk of confiscation.

. No special packing or anything...
Agreed, no need for clear bags in your checked luggage. I just stowed the software safely in clothing and had my blades and razor in my washbag as normal.

Like Crossan says.
was going to say this. last time I travelled, I took a disassembled 3 piece with the head pieces side by side, not put together in the ziplock that had my toiletries. the handle was in my bag which was fine.

my bag got flagged for search and before the security guy even looked, I told him I think it's because there's a razor there but there's no blade in it. he said spot on, that's exactly what it was and they can't see on the scanner if there's a blade in so they need to check manually but it's completely ok if there's no blade in it. he didn't open the ziplock or look at it any further or open my bag at all.

I asked if there's anything I could be doing better and he said no, that I had done the right thing by putting it the ziplock so he didn't need to go through the bag to reach it.

I was only doing to test and with a razor I didn't mind losing but it was very easy and smooth and no problems at all. I'd maybe put the razor head in it's own ziplock if I wanted to do it again to make it even clearer and easier to check than having it alongside other toiletries.

In practice though, I didn't end up using it and just used the cartridge I took as well. I still used a brush, shaving cream and aftershave.

I don't think I'll need to do it again. if I'm going on a trip longer than a couple of days, I have checked luggage to put the razor and blades in. if I'm going on a really short trip, I'm unlikely to have time to go find a 5 pack of de blades locally so why take a de razor? I can not shave or tidy up using a cartridge.

in checked luggage, for years, I've travelled loads with de blades, de razors, shavettes etc. everything is fine.

Last edited:
Yes, one of the most annoying things about those short trips with just hand luggage is being relegated to cartridge or disposable razors. Or buying a tuck of blades just to leave them behind. Only compensation is when you're going home, you have good shave gear to look forward to. I usually take a sample or shave stick, a synthetic brush and a Mach 3. At least you can enjoy the whole ritual if you want, and just accept that the shave itself is going to be easy but dull (not the best term to pick I suppose!)

Yes, one of the most annoying things about those short trips with just hand luggage is being relegated to cartridge or disposable razors. Or buying a tuck of blades just to leave them behind. Only compensation is when you're going home, you have good shave gear to look forward to. I usually take a sample or shave stick, a synthetic brush and a Mach 3. At least you can enjoy the whole ritual if you want, and just accept that the shave itself is going to be easy but dull (not the best term to pick I suppose!)
I got 20 Gillette Blue II disposables from Tesco yesterday. £6.00.

Combined with the Palmolive stick and a good synth, I get a great shave from these.

Back
Top Bottom