What do you do when an auction ad is incorrect? [Poll]

What would YOU do?

• Option A

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • Option B

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Option C

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Something COMPLETELY different (see my answer below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nico1970 said:
Darren said:
Nico1970 said:
It's 'dog eat dog' out there. Option A all the way. Yippee ki yay!
Haha.... Yippee... Um, yes. How about some common humanity? Its fine to be tough until it's your turn to take it up the arse then it doesn't feel quite so cool.
At the end of the day, a man has to be able to face himself in the mirror. I wouldn't enjoy my shave if I had skanked someone for the razor.

Whoa, slow down brother. You are making a massive leap across the ethical boundary in talking about ‘skanking' someone :mad:.

OP's point is about an auction where the seller has not appreciated the reasonable market value of a razor. Would I personally draw that to the seller's attention – no, I wouldn't. That is most definitely within the normal ‘give and take' rules of an auction in my book; seller lists an item, and goes with the risk of what a buyer will pay – (that's) not skanking someone. And, presumably, the 20+ others on the forum who picked Option A above wouldn't deem it skanking either :icon_rolleyes:.

If I saw a mint Darwin, or Eclipse Red Ring that belonged to the late husband of a little old lady and said to her that I'll take the razor off her hands and put a pound or two in the charity box – that is skanking and, clearly, something I, personally, wouldn't do :angel:.

Massive difference indeed fella.

Well said!

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Option 1. Seller badly lists a 10 pyscho techs buy it now not knowing its value for £10. Perfectly acceptable to buy it and say nothing.

Option 2. Seller badly lists a 10 pyscho techs for auction bidders push it to £30 again perfectly acceptable.

It is unacceptable in my opinion to inform the seller. The auction should run its course.
To do so is bad form to fellow collectors

Those techs are going to go for £500+ in my opinion it is a twats trick to offer a low offer by PM but it is also out of order to sabotage people getting a RARE bargain at a genuine equal auction.

Badly listed auctions are always found by members of the online shaving community so auctions rarely need to be sabotaged.

As stated you wouldn't tell a car boot salesman

I also suspect that in the case of the techs there were plenty of twats sending PMS for a quick early sale at buy it now.

i agree with this,^^^.

it isnt 'skanking' someone to win a poorly presented auction. it can be an expensive lesson to learn for the vendor, but if its a lesson learned it wont be repeated.

sabotaging a poorly presented auction is very poor form. for me,the only time its acceptable to contact a vendor with more accurate information on an item is when they have wrongly described it in such a fashion as to mislead and potentially bring in an inflated price. i have done this before and will do it again,sometimes gently and other times with brutal honesty!

the psycho techs are going to be talked about for quite a while i reckon!

Hiya,

Having hit my fair share of flea markets and garage sales and antique shows and estate sales and various stores over the years, I can't imagine myself saying something to tip the seller off. Heh, probably not.

Now if someone who makes money being a store owner or regular flea market person would ask me about pricing on something before offering it for sale, I would tell the truth without a problem. If they cared enough to ask and were hoping I was being honest, I would say something. Otherwise the heck with it. I pay the offered low price and walk away after saying thank you!

Martin

Hey I'm the ''twat'' who informed the seller what the razors were in the original listing, although it's possible I wasn't the only one judging by the wording on the new listing. Just for the record I told him what the razors were used for, what the key was for and explained the nickname 'Psycho razor'. That was it. I didn't mention rarity or value. The original listing would probably have gone as high as this one anyway. Maybe. Who knows.

At the time I was in the bidding. My intention was if I got the winning bid, which wasn't high, I would keep one and the key and sell the rest on here for just enough to make my money back. No or very little profit. Just enough to cover my bid. Plenty folks here would have been glad to buy them at a low price.

If I saw a new member selling a mint Fatboy in BST for £20 I'd do exactly the same. There's some of my values right there and I'm happy with that. I'm glad we don't all have the same values. Personally I don't give a shite who's been upset by this as I haven't done anything that's harmed anybody. There's another of my values.

Dave-the-rave said:
Hey I'm the ''twat'' who informed the seller what the razors were in the original listing, although it's possible I wasn't the only one judging by the wording on the new listing. Just for the record I told him what the razors were used for, what the key was for and explained the nickname 'Psycho razor'. That was it. I didn't mention rarity or value. The original listing would probably have gone as high as this one anyway. Maybe. Who knows.

At the time I was in the bidding. My intention was if I got the winning bid, which wasn't high, I would keep one and the key and sell the rest on here for just enough to make my money back. No or very little profit. Just enough to cover my bid. Plenty folks here would have been glad to buy them at a low price.

If I saw a new member selling a mint Fatboy in BST for £20 I'd do exactly the same. There's some of my values right there and I'm happy with that. I'm glad we don't all have the same values. Personally I don't give a shite who's been upset by this as I haven't done anything that's harmed anybody. There's another of my values.

Read my post very carefully. And very slowly before you start with the sarcasm

It is a twats trick to offer a very low offer by PM.

I have ended auctions early when approached by someone for a Buy It Now price, but only when there are no bidders. If anyone has placed a bid I would not end the auction. I have lost out doing that too so it isn't always the way that when it gets pulled the seller makes more money.

At the time the Psycho's were ended I had bid a maximum of £250 which I felt was a good price. I suspect the price would have gone up on top of that, and the seller would have been very happy. But probably not as high as it will now. The daft thing as far as I'm concerend is that the detailed description that has been provided to the seller and the additional information he discovewred would count for nothing. Just get the title right and it would be picked up by those who kbnow what they are looking for.

I really feel that if the auction is up and running then it shoudl run its course, but that's only me.

Dave-the-rave said:
Just for the record I told him what the razors were used for, what the key was for and explained the nickname 'Psycho razor'. That was it. I didn't mention rarity or value.

At the time I was in the bidding.

So you were actually bidding on those and you still answered the seller's questions. Knowing he would figure out what he had there and might relist it properly, you told him the truth. Whew, I would have a hard time doing that. I don't normally volunteer any info on what I'm wanting to buy, especially online.

It would be different if someone was asking me face to face what he had. I like to think I'd be truthful and never have to worry about that piece of bad karma from lying.

I have a hard time faulting you for your actions. The seller's story seemed legit and you did a nice thing for him. He really was curious as to what his mom had there. Heh, had he not asked though, I might feel differently. Also, I am glad I wasn't in the race for those razors.

Martin

I no longer sell any razors on Ebay and haven't done for a number of years, but I do know the true worth of every razor I own and If I wished to sell anyone of my razors I no longer need to offer them up in the BST section as I know enough prospective buyers on both sides of the Atlantic that I just send a PM out and the razor is as good as sold for the price I want and the price I'm happy with.

It's the seller's responsibility to know the value of something before they sell it in my opinion. I'd never sell anything without doing a quick google search first.

Back
Top Bottom