What do you wear for work?

When I was working if I required plainclothes I usually had shirt, tie, flannels & blazer. Also always had a cheap raincoat close by as I was warned at the commencement of my employment to always have an outer garment which it didn't matter if it got stained by blood, vomit, pee or a combination of that unholy trinity.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I was going to put something silly here, but Vinny has already aced it.

Black trousers, black shoes and a shirt. Today I'm wearing my "Thursday" shirt. I don't have a shirt allocated to any other day, just Thursday.

When I started here, 10 and a bit years ago, I wore a tie for the first 3-4 years, but as it became clear that I wasn't any better thought of for it, and people senior to me don't wear ties, I returned from holiday one year without a tie and haven't worn one here since.

Ian

I use to sit in an office where we "should" of worn a tie. But I rarely did, after being asked one day where my tie was and replying will it make me do my job better ? Fair enough if it was a meeting or a visit to another business I would wear one. But on a day to day basis sat at a desk, I can see the need. I did a good job, put in extra hours etc. it was busy job helping to process payments of £5- £6 million a month

No one covered me when I was on holiday and I soon caught up when I did. It's how you do your job, I'd never go in in jeans and a t shirt and my shirt was always ironed and my shoes were shiney.

Re: RE: What do you wear for work?

joe mcclaine said:
Ties will be a thing of the past in 5 years, if that.

From your mouth to the ears of the all mighty but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are way too many mediocre managers out there that see it as another form of control, which is valuable enough to keep going.

Shemen Zait said:
joe mcclaine said:
Ties will be a thing of the past in 5 years, if that.

From your mouth to the ears of the all mighty but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are way too many mediocre managers out there that see it as another form of control, which is valuable enough to keep going.

I like wearing a tie. Not many people wear one in my office, but I do. I like to match it to my pocket square.

I often wear one out for dinner too.

I like ties.

When I was working it was always either black combats or black jeans, a T shirt of some description appropriate to the gig I was working, the company provided souvenir fleece top from a high profile tour if I needed a jumper, and footwear appropriate to the gig again, usually steel toe caps either boots or my comfy De Walt trainer style ones, for outdoor gigs/ festivals a pair of very very comfy Berghaus Gore Tex lined light hiking boots, and on days when I didn't have to shift heavy stuff around either some comfy trainers or the Berghaus boots. Very very occasionally it was all black gear with the company logoed Polo shirt for corporate type work and a few times shirt and tie of full on dinner jacket and bow tie etc.

OrangeSport said:
I like wearing a tie. Not many people wear one in my office, but I do. I like to match it to my pocket square.

I often wear one out for dinner too.

I like ties.

I rarely wear a tie to work these days (unless I'm in a suit) but they do have their advantages. They provide a nice focal point and they're a rare opportunity to show colour and personality in a smart male outfit.

Back
Top Bottom