What does SWMBO think ?

About TSR ?

I was shaving this morning and thinking I have another member stopping by here later to pick up some straights I purchased for him. My thinking was about the way people on here interact and the opinions of their other halves. There can't be many forums where people share blades, pass around razors and the like.

I know when I started SWMBO raised an eye brow. I suppose in a way she thought it was perhaps a bit odd, a forum about shaving. I also got the odd "what's that now ?" when something popped though the door from another member. But now she sees the benefit from giving, receiving and helping others where I can. She also finds it interesting to see where things are being posted to and from. She often pops in the post office for me and only asks what this time, first, 2nd and do I want signed for ?

My Mrs thinks it's a little odd, but she's happy if I'm happy. It's only if I'm ignoring her on phone/tablet and asked "your not on that bloody forum again are you?"

She has become reasonably accustom to me buying and selling things.

mattyb240 said:
My Mrs thinks it's a little odd, but she's happy if I'm happy. It's only if I'm ignoring her on phone/tablet and asked "your not on that bloody forum again are you?"

She has become reasonably accustom to me buying and selling things.

very easy to hide purchases

a forum member borrowed me....... :icon_razz:

Mine thought it was an odd hobby at first. still tuts when she seems my shaving drawer which is almost full. I have not let on I have a cologne drawer too yet, though she does like the fact that I smell nicer these days. She has started taking an interest in what pops thru the letter box, especially those that have a fragrance

My wife doesn't mind at all. In fact, she's been known to go through my soaps/creams to have a crafty sniff of them, and seems genuinely interested when something new turns up.

I don't have to make excuses or hide anything, or have stuff sent to work instead of home.

Having said that, she does spend her fair share on "ladies" skin care stuff, and I don't complain about that either.

Ian

My other half doesn't rule the roost at all... so for the most part she doesn't care less... unless my stock piling starts to occupy too much space.

My mother though... lord almighty, she gave me a roasting a couple of weeks ago. We live in the sticks, the house isn't easy to find and we're at work quite a bit.. so I get stuff sent to the parents place because they're typically home. I had three shaving brushes arrive a few weeks ago from the states, each individually packaged. One got caught for customs charges, so she had to shell out. I paid her back the money the next day... but she went on a rant about how stupid it was... that I didn't need all these shaving brushes etc.

I don't drink, don't smoke and dedicate all my time to work and my family. The sister on the other hand is single, doesn't work, no children and is out socializing (i.e. on the piss) every weekend... and there isn't a thing said.

Almost 40 years old... and have a mother that's telling me how to spend my money.

The good lady don't mind over much unless the spending gets out of hand. She even joined in and has her own DE87 with octagonal handle and I hand-carved a brush for her too. She prefers the Personna Platinum Chrome blades from Connaught - nice and gentle. Now my Mother, well that's another story entirely......

jb74 said:
My other half doesn't rule the roost at all... so for the most part she doesn't care less... unless my stock piling starts to occupy too much space.

My mother though... lord almighty, she gave me a roasting a couple of weeks ago. We live in the sticks, the house isn't easy to find and we're at work quite a bit.. so I get stuff sent to the parents place because they're typically home. I had three shaving brushes arrive a few weeks ago from the states, each individually packaged. One got caught for customs charges, so she had to shell out. I paid her back the money the next day... but she went on a rant about how stupid it was... that I didn't need all these shaving brushes etc.

I don't drink, don't smoke and dedicate all my time to work and my family. The sister on the other hand is single, doesn't work, no children and is out socializing (i.e. on the piss) every weekend... and there isn't a thing said.

Almost 40 years old... and have a mother that's telling me how to spend my money.

My SWMBO did mention at one stage about the brushes. I told her that different brushes were better with different products. Like a boar was good for hard soap and a badger with cream. She didn't ask again so I got away with that.

She also mentioned watches once, asking isn't one enough? I asked her wasn't one handbag enough, that stopped there too.

Surprisingly and very generally, she is quite cool about it. She likes that I am always clean and like to smell good. As for the shaving stuff, well I try to stick to a reasonable amount - not too many razors (4) and only one shaving soap/cream (currently MdC and Palmolive). I tend to sell stuff on that I don't use or that I don't get along with.

I have a few balms, but only things I know I will use up eventually, so I try to be quite sane. Fragrances are my main passion but she started using mine now as well and overall we understand each other about it.

mattyb240 said:

I've had this one too. "Are you reading about perfumes again?!?!?!"

Best thing to do is buy a couple of Palmolive sticks, bring them home and leave them on the kitchen counter along with the receipt... then moan about how it's not so great given the price.

After a couple of years on Forums, my Mrs. has got used to me spending time on the phone/PC browsing.
She thinks I have too much stuff but doesn't give me any grief about it. She has even taken to displaying quite a few of my razors/brushes/creams on the bathroom shelves and changes them around from time to time.
Other than that, she has no interest in the shaving part except for a few of the scents which she loves.
I whip her up a lather from time to time if she is having a bath and is shaving her legs. She likes that.

Missus knows I don't take this lark seriously any more and that at least 95% of my time on-line is spent trolling (not just this forum). C'mon, you know you scour threads for my posts ... :)

There was a time when I was buying stuff like it was about to be discontinued and hoarding it like I would be shaving in the event of a major disaster. That probably had her thinking "what the buggery fuck?"

Now, there's no shaving 'stash', no evangelism, no deliveries, no spending .... nowt.

jb74 said:
Best thing to do is buy a couple of Palmolive sticks, bring them home and leave them on the kitchen counter along with the receipt... then moan about how it's not so great given the price.

Oh that's just evil. And I LOVE it!!!!!!! :angel:

Mwahahaha...

It's one thing getting grief about the volume.... the price is the real thing you need to keep secret.

Most people not in the know think a shaving brush doesn't cost anymore than a tenner, and a bar of soap... maybe a fiver tops.

My Mrs is like a sniffer dog over anything that comes in the post or that I look at buying, She thinks I only need one of any particular item........Shes right though if you truely mean need, But I work my but off so dont see the problem if it want as a luxury/nice to have. I am also into shooting as a hobby and she despaires of me with that !

If I questioned hand bag or watch numbers with her I would get a very cold reception ! LOL

Am just waiting for the moans etc about the Edward Jagger DE89 :D lol

Funny this I was watching a Wickham Soap Co. video last night and the wife piped up. She thought it weird me watching another man shave. I explained it was a review and she sat back a bit.

She's generally delighted I'm off doing my own thing in the evening shaving and reading blogs, it allows her free reign over the TV. However if she had any idea of how much I've spent she'd have a fit.

Back
Top Bottom