What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

Recently acquired what I believed to be a Gillette Sensor Excel. When it arrived, I now suspect it to be the earlier Sensor from 1990-93. In very good condition. Cosmetically some scratches as would be expected.

In the spirit of pure nostalgia; this model I suspect is the first razor I owned. Progressed to the Mach 3 in the later 90s. I recall owning the razor, but no memory of how it shaved.

Picked up some Excel Sensor blades from the supermarket, and I have been really enjoying the shave. To me the handle is lighter than the Mach 3, and seems a little less grippy. However, it works very well. Enjoying the novelty of two blades ;) Close shave, without any dramas.

I bloody loved the 90's. Cleaned shaved, I may kick back & watch an episode of Friends. If only I could grow my curtains back :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 105932
The Sensor in my opinion is superior to the Sensor Excel; it is a smaller cartridge which does not include the rubber fins and again in my opinion gives a better shave and is much better at getting into the hard to get to areas; I'm totally biased of course, but two blades is really all that is needed - wish they would bring the Sensor back; but of course they won't.

Some gamer here ?!?!?! Razer is for you ...
https://amzn.eu/d/hJpouCP

368280155_10227782144490621_2461161608771986307_n.jpg

No love for the Hydro 3? Lol. Despite the weird gloop and slightly bigger head, I really like it. And that's coming from someone who grew up shaving with a sensor excel.
Plus, I've got a Star wars edition in the Hydro.

No love for the Hydro 3? Lol. Despite the weird gloop and slightly bigger head, I really like it. And that's coming from someone who grew up shaving with a sensor excel.
Plus, I've got a Star wars edition in the Hydro.

I use the Hydro 5 with reasonable frequency and really like it. Same handle. Same-ish cartridge, but with the Hydro 5, the gloop-strip can be flicked back out of the way (for shaping) and/or removed entirely. I have the Hydro 5 handle that has an extra articulation in the middle which can be locked in place or released to give extra mitigation against pressing too hard.

AIL4fc9ov1qupT1eS3rHQFht44F8Z-4eRC0ph5Xfhe5OG4o-0rIaijBonXDeFEq3-d8GkaKtE3BAKaQkdkQ9odpUEjdwwanZo7_SUW2x4_7dntzqXEElfp4ZEyZpTiyYcehWkEURL9ucBRt5y8BUvNqb34MBr5EbnyOezgLK_lMEJY_abdLEJke-TO3uf80PCF-AwyZlmEzH7RZXRi7A8mCkYSmB9hrivVg8QsfYTt0qpaMOQX8MlrvQyR1Gz6LBIkP09b5A2SkcpdAVFuhaKQmA8E74wfrxy-SdJrqp4cbbhwtdI-rtVhmzrA41cZrp4tf4e2bhiGmYTSYnC6QKVXTNEreUobQ5k6ks_3PxQg89Q7dTlXx6n_AdIyk40L8WkNPe3e3YPNGJuuBf6OO0yCnzxEWTAhovtyR1TpSnfBdBKweIQWAy8tk6vMm478VXAufkiiwKDaF5L2GQUd0KmdvV7t0TrPfX9fphqvmSuMO2aBxslQ7Aga2gZIoqqE3YJ-Qou8WbUZyIhknsU2iI5s_jwQ9q4ylFmMiekXp2gluhehiAqgmYqTYrEYRiP7U98Z1W6cmA3oH3ZNe8Jl_92UhG7zlLB0gAHsIkKgKud-HFYpkfztKfnUjUwMnfDdGNFWY7_X5L2ZrT6H_dfA4PtLN_wjA3gPhGSjlz-4LTtTN74V6PcE51Sisk8y2xPOBbmgWD0tsn_xvs1mOF51_czkC54p4b2604OwUYgbdaDOfvCDNcLPCdftSsUAFd76SqKTShMVUeXnWLxJeozjo_pO5ksBDujiJwqbK2acJRLsmWyjQm-awl6VkMzfxLi84MxpCnRSNweuxXEbURr7m1umd-nm3CH9SkKfraY9TBQeUXgpQNRamwXLxezlG5PSDn87HNGxuXFM85WlXBIG8keF_Im1I=w600

Reactions: ATG
Haven't shaved with carts for a decade, but after having my blades taken off me at an airport recently, leaving me a little stuck, I decided to test out the metal BIC's, after good reviews here. Expected to not be able to apply enough pressure on the lightweight razor, and given DE technique. But with some great lather, I was pleasantly surprised how good and close a shave I got. Not up there with my best DEs (TImeless, Gillette Slim Adjustable), but as close as some of my milder ones (Red Tip). I now have a travel system again for short trips, and will pack the DE for trips with a suitcase.

This isn't the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time.
PXL_20230922_111256199.jpgIt came with a tube labelled shaving cream courtesy of my hotel. I'm sure other hotels have them.
I'm also sure I used a razor with the same or very similar design a few years ago, branded Wilkinson Sword in the UK. That had a green rather than blue insert on the handle, and may have been a triple blade or had s special coating or something (this has two blades).
It was fairly sharp but a bit rough; not helped by the "shaving cream" which after applying to my face I realised should have been labelled aftershave balm as it produced no lather and soaked straight into my skin! No oily residue so it's not a pre-shaving oil either.

I always go with the latest Gillette system ... whatever it is, Flexball Fusion, I think it is now

That way I'm never left scrabbling round hunting down out-of-production blades

I just stick them at the bottom of the wife's shopping list as-and-when needed

I always go with the latest Gillette system ... whatever it is, Flexball Fusion, I think it is now

Keep up, lad! We're onto the Gillette Labs format now.

In seriousness, same technology blade as the ProGlide from what I can see from this chart (so, stabiliser and micro-comb but with more lubrication ... while "Gillette's best blades" is a bit weasel-wordy) with an exfoliating bar, which I'll guess is rendered beyond use after a few dozen shaves. Same mechanism, too, but more neatly encased inside the circle rather than under a flappy rubber skirt. There's a joke in there somewhere ...

WHICH RAZOR IS THE.png

Back
Top Bottom