What is the point of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd start a thread for those of us with a grumbling type of nature, to have a go at anything that gets you started.

I'll start off with Karl Pilkington - I get bombarded with ads for books that feature him, and just don't understand how he gets anything published. I have to admit to making the mistake of buying that silly book that got him started, but purely because he was linked to Merchant and Gervais who were producing reasonably funny stuff at the time.

If it came to a most pointless person competition, Pilkington and Dave Gorman would surely be very near the top of everyone's list.

However don't let my prejudices stop you from posting your own gripes.

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us with a grumbling type of nature, to have a go at anything that gets you started.

I'll start off with Karl Pilkington - I get bombarded with ads for books that feature him, and just don't understand how he gets anything published. I have to admit to making the mistake of buying that silly book that got him started, but purely because he was linked to Merchant and Gervais who were producing reasonably funny stuff at the time.

If it came to a most pointless person competition, Pilkington and Dave Gorman would surely be very near the top of everyone's list.

However don't let my prejudices stop you from posting your own gripes.

I think you may have answered your own question. The exposure from Gervais/Merchant meant enough people bought the first book to convince the publishers that there was a market for a 2nd book. And so on and so forth....Same for Clarkson. His product sells very well regardless of how many don't enjoy it. I find Katie Hopkins especially pointless but enough people must be fans or the coverage garnered must be worth it. Or at least that's the perception of the people who pay her to deliberately and pointedly court controversy.

People eating food in the supermarket while still shopping annoys me. They can't wait till they've paid for it, left and gone home? Not sure why it irritates me so much as it does me no harm whatsoever but it's definitely a gripe.

Plan of man is right, some posts have disappeared and I don't understand why. Perhaps whoever deleted them can explain. I started this as a light hearted thread but Hunny jumped in straight away with a warning that, to be honest, I didn't see the point of. And the post above doesn't make things any clearer - so can we please have a non cryptic response as to just what the issue is with threads like this.

I replied initially to remind you all to keep a lid on it and not turn it into ad hominem snide digs at each other.

I haven't personally made any changes to this thread nor would I feel that I have to explain myself in doing so, other than if @Boab questioned my motivation.

Back to Stifling Moderation School for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom