What's the best badger brush I can get for £25?

Well, my fiancee is offering to get me a badger brush for no more than £25 this xmas. Having read lots on here about the various grades of hair, and the lack of naming consistency in the industry on these types, and having also heard the cheaper brushes can be quite prickly, what's my best bet?

I know Fido has been selling off some of his excellent brushes but I can't always get a PM sent before the time reaches 2:01PM :icon_razz:

Amazon are selling a £22 Edwin Jagger brush for £11 at the moment, someone posted a thread about it yesterday.

The EJ pure bristle brushes are perfectly good, in fact I'd say they're damn good for the money. I wouldn't say they're prickly, more like robust which is a plus if you are like me and use hard soaps a lot.

Edit: I must look like I'm going around copying other people's posts tonight, that's the second time that's happened!

Yeah I saw that. I was a bit dubious, to be honest. I was worried I'd end up with a brush worse than my Boots bought Men U boar. To me that's a good brush but I gather badgers are a different beast (pun intended) so whatever it is like it'll be different to what I'm used to. I guess that's the point? And better for soaps is good, Canuck. Struggle with soap lathering with my boar (very little backbone).

Is this not better? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simpsons-Beaufort-B1-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-/110762970402?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item19c9fccd22#ht_1604wt_650 just because it's a Simpsons and I've heard good things about Simpsons.

You'll find that these don't really feel "stiff" as such, first few weeks I had one I thought they were lacking backbone and felt a bit floppy, but actually it's the sheer amount of scrubby hair (it's quite a thick knot, maybe twice as much hair as a Men-U especially as it beds in) that picks up the soap, and badger hair holds a little more water so it just lathers far more easily than boar. That's what you'll notice, easier lathering.

At £11 you simply can't not have a go.

Edit: I see you asked about that Simpsons, it's probably the same or a very comparable knot. Were they the same price I'd say they were comparable value, but right now that Edwin Jagger is by far better value, your girlfriend can then spend the spare what, £14 on nice soaps.

Does it have to be badger?

In that budget, I'd rather get the best Boar brush, a Semogue 830 and still have change left over. It's as soft as silver tip once broken in and is so flexible. You can face or bowl lather without any problems.

How much does a Simmo's Berkeley run to over there? Excellent, user friendly, good size and no overly dense lather hogginess. I find Pure's far too scratchy even though they can work very well. Simmo's Best is virtually Silvertip in feel and performance IMO.

As Dipesh says, a good boar is worth a look. while I've 3 Simmo's I must admit, my 5 quid Omega is often still preferred as I find it's better at picking up soap, and I use soaps mostly. They're not scratchy or stiff, but you feel them, and I like that to get feedback on where the lathers at. I find boar puts less air and fluff into the lather, and gets it creamier and slicker far easier.

I was into Semogues for a while, all but the 1305 were very disappointing; they all noodled out, that is go way too soft. All semblance of backbone disappears. They are very soft tipped, and I think the 'luxury boar', badger-type product is what they're going for, and the handles and build are very nice. But the way they flare them out in the knots, they're not as dense as they like to make out and this is what makes them flop. I got my 830 replaced and it's still a floppy dud. Omegas don't do this, they are quite vertically set in the knot, and their brushes retain a lot more backbone IMO.

Drubbing said:
I was into Semogues for a while, all but the 1305 were very disappointing; they all noodled out, that is go way too soft. All semblance of backbone disappears. They are very soft tipped, and I think the 'luxury boar', badger-type product is what they're going for, and the handles and build are very nice. But the way they flare them out in the knots, they're not as dense as they like to make out and this is what makes them flop. I got my 830 replaced and it's still a floppy dud. Omegas don't do this, they are quite vertically set in the knot, and their brushes retain a lot more backbone IMO.

Although I understand what you're saying, especially about the 830 (been there, done that) I've later found out it wasn't just the brushes fault, but also the way I was using it. Try only soaking the tips of the bristles, the first 1/3 maximum, instead of the all or the most part and you'll find it retains a lot more backbone! Also there's a few different kinds of boar bristle available, while the 1305/830 are the softest the 1250/1800 will take more time to break bu will retain a lot more backbone than the previous ones. And if you're looking for a face lathering Semogue you should really try the 50mm lofted ones, way better suited than the 830 (personally I think it's way worse than the 1305).

Sorry about the off topic!

rntdcarvalho said:
Although I understand what you're saying, especially about the 830 (been there, done that) I've later found out it wasn't just the brushes fault, but also the way I was using it. Try only soaking the tips of the bristles, the first 1/3 maximum, instead of the all or the most part and you'll find it retains a lot more backbone! Also there's a few different kinds of boar bristle available,
Sorry about the off topic!

Been there done that too. It still noodles out by the time I'm on lathering up for a 2nd pass. I don't subscribe the B&B boarists who soak their boars for 2 days before using them (or a prolonged break in, but that's another thread). Mine get a quick run under the tap or a dip in the sink.

Tried the 1305, 830, 1460, SOC, 620 and now the 2000. The 1305 is the better of the lot as it's the one with the least knot splay, but the bristles can still go moppy soft if you get it too wet. I guess that's the feel Semogue are going for.

Sorry again about the OT.

No problem about off topic - it's all helpful. Is like to try badger if only to go back to boar as it's just one if those things that has to be done. I'll speak to the Mrs-to-be about the super EJ for £25 but will bear in mind the better boars for future.

+1 on the horse hair. Vie-Long do some nice brushes at good prices. Kind of firm backbone but with soft tips. If you're interested, look at Gifts&Care.com. Juan is great to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom