What's the strangest food?

I've had the normal offal stuff like heart, liver, kidneys, etc. Pretty tame really.

Used to have tongue sandwiches when I was younger. Quite enjoyed them IIRC.

I think the worst thing I have eaten was in Chinatown in NYC. It was in a takeaway that had been recommended by a guide, and the menu items were in Chinese lettering with very perfunctory 'Engrish' descriptions. I ordered two no 15's which were listed as 'Sweet Sour'.

I watched as tofu was sliced into a massive work filled with bubbling oil, heated until it was runny, then poured into a carton and covered with what I can only guess was fish sauce and sugar. My wife didn't touch it, I had the tiniest spoonful then we walked out making 'mmmm, delicious' appreciative faces at the owner before dropping then straight in the nearest bin and going for a sandwich at Pret a Manger!

pugh-the-special-one said:
As a youngster Martin I had cold pressed tongue every week, plus stuffed Lambs hearts they are my favourites. But there's one thing I could never eat and that's tripe, and the reason why I kept working terriers for many years and fed them exclusively on tripe but this was before it was treated and bleached I picked it up directly from my local slaughter house, my god If I close my eyes and think back I can still smell it.

Jamie

What's doin Jamie,

Never tried the lamb hearts. Were they stuffed with brains? Eyeballs maybe?

Well, here's a delicacy that's sold in certain parts of Chicago. Called chitlins, if that rings a bell. http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ChitlinsHistory.htm

Type at you later,

Martin

I have had lambs testicle from a Turkish restaurant in stoke newington. Coincidently it is called Testi! Don't believe me...google it! It was rather tasty, I would have it again:)

John said:
Taste's nice in a sandwich with piccalilli

So does cheese and ham or even haslet, luncheon meat, chopped pork and plenty other things. Don't you be asking for no tongue in my shop, Mrs Fe-Fe-Featherstone!

Oxtail soup is fine, mind you. And I might eat some other dodgier things in a pie if there were other 'normal' things in there too. I do like liver!

Gairdner said:
Well, , most of y'all have probably eaten and enjoyed one of my favorite gourmet treats, but just in case someone hasn't tried it, I will mention the luscious pickled cow tongue. Yeah I know.....pretty tame stuff.

No way, no how, pardner! We can buy tongue from the butcher or supermarket over here as you probably know but no chance am I putting that near my face pickled or otherwise.

Heh, you gotta have an open mind to try pickled tongue. The texture and taste really is unlike anything else I've tried before.

What's interesting is the price cooked tongue sells for in jewish delicatessens. Usually it's the most expensive sliced meat, even more than extra lean corned beef. Funny deal eh?

Just had Ox Tongue for lunch...very nice with a smidge of mustard...

Pasta with Parmesan cheese is probably the strangest, most disgusting thing I've ever eaten..or rather tried, I never finished it..It was like a mouthful of boiled slugs, with..........well never mind, we won't go there.....

I don't like liver or kidney (both the taste and the texture) but I've had snails (chewy mushrooms) straight out the shells, tripe when I was a kid (makes me feel sick thinking about it now) and enjoy rollmops (raw herring wrapped round onions and gherkins. I throw away the gherkins!)
I don't like how it looks but I love squid. The purple and white tentacles can be a bit off-putting but tastes fantastic.
I once bought a jellied eel and fully intended to eat it. With the clear jelly poised to enter my mouth I had a bit of a convulsion and four or five attempts later it went straight in the nearest bin with a shiver.

dodgy said:
Gairdner said:
Well, , most of y'all have probably eaten and enjoyed one of my favorite gourmet treats, but just in case someone hasn't tried it, I will mention the luscious pickled cow tongue. Yeah I know.....pretty tame stuff.

No way, no how, pardner! We can buy tongue from the butcher or supermarket over here as you probably know but no chance am I putting that near my face pickled or otherwise.

Heh, you gotta have an open mind to try pickled tongue. The texture and taste really is unlike anything else I've tried before.

What's interesting is the price cooked tongue sells for in jewish delicatessens. Usually it's the most expensive sliced meat, even more than extra lean corned beef. Funny deal eh?

I don't suppose there is a lot of meat on a tongue? the pickle is an acquired taste all right, as it pushes the flavour into overdrive.

Going to stop reading this for a bit as I'm about to have dinner...it's toad in the hole.;-)

Oxtail (a dish called "coda alla vaccinara") is a typical food here in Rome, it's very good and complex to make. As is tripe (a dish called "fagioli con le cotiche" with red beans).

The worst smell in the world is a fruit I couldn't taste in Malaysia called durian. Vomit anyone?

Pondegi.

While in South Korea I was in a coffee shop and my Korean friend suggested a snack to have with the coffee. I let my friend choose a typical Korean snack as I couldn't read the menu.
After trying it we got the Korean-English dictionary out and found out it was fried silkworm larvae. Needless to say I didn't have a second mouthful. If you're interested; it tasted like chicken; really!

It's a popular street-food for kids in a paper cup, like we would have chips. Puts our chips in a good light for a change.

Here's a link to a picture, make sure you're not eating your tea though. (Pondegi image)

Toad-in-the-hole - magic! Food of champions indeed.

Wichetty grubs go in the no way, no how box but your description was very funny, Hunny! :D

Love squid and all the other fishy, seafoody stuff like Paella, Spanish sopa de pescado, bouillabaisse, clam chowder, Pasta al marinara.

Not even going to click on that link, fancontroller. Lamb chops in gravy digesting nicely and no icky larvae is going to interfere with that!

I suppose I've eaten some odd fish, thinking about it.

Have had shark (didn't like it really) and smoked conger eel (delicious for the first three bits, revolting afterwards).

Had fruit bat in The Maldives -it was horrible, and some unknown creature in China - probably dog. Had a try of turtle in China which we never intended to order as we didn't understand the menu and they didn't speak English - they thought we wanted the most expensive thing on the menu. I didn't taste that good but we felt so sorry for the poor turtle that we lost our appetites.

Back
Top Bottom