What's this? M Hyman razor

Just picked this up at a car boot sale, does anyone know anything about the maker? It says M Hyman (Solingen) on the tang, and has "HAMBURG RING, German hollow ground" engraved on the blade.

Is it worth restoring at all? Has some minor dings (no majors) to the blade edge and a couple of patches of rust on the shank and the spine. Scales are I think bakelite or cellulose and have some minor chips.

Excuse my ignorance but I have no experience of straights, this was literally pocket change though so I couldn't leave it sat there.

Thanks for any help.

No its complete tat, just send it to me for safe disposal :p :twisted:

Actualy it looks like a great find, I don't know the make but it looks like it will clean and polish up nicely and as I understand it most Solingen razors take a good edge.

There's some wear on it, not enough to bother me though. How does it go: "I agree with Nic".

"Hamburg Ring" as far as I've been able to ascertain refers very generally to a specific grinding style, namely a variety of bellied hollow. This means that there will be a slight thickening of the cross section a few mm back from the edge forming a longitudinal stabiliser. My example is decidedly hefty and inflexible for a full hollow, but it's a smashing shaver.

Very helpful, thanks for the opinions gents. I think I'll probably move this to BST and offer it up as a restoration project. Doesn't fit into my skillset but as I say I didn't want to pass it by as it was no money.

Back
Top Bottom