What's with big razors?

I have noticed there's quite a lot of big custom jobs over on the straight razor place, i mean 7/8 8/8 and bigger what advatage do you get from such a big razor, I am at the moment restoring a vintage Krauss German 7/8 razor a very big slab of steel if I must say so. can anyone tell me why are they getting so big?

Jamie.

This is most likely blind prejudice, but I thought the fad for fat ass razors was an American thing. Probably something to do with those thumping great Wade and Butcher trophy blades which appear so regularly at SRP. Good for mowing down stubble on the cheeks I suppose, but anything much over 6/8 and shaving under the hooter becomes awkward in my experience.

I'm thinking along those lines as well Andy, it's like those big old Cadillac's from the fifties, the Americans always seem think big is better. PS they do look impressive though, but as you said wouldn't fancy using one.

Regards Jamie.

Horses for Courses, although some of the mammoth customs over an inch are expressions of a small willy size I think:)

I routinely go from 5/8-6/8-7/8-8/8 love them all, I do find a 5/8 a bit finicky after a 8/8 but I like the challenge/experience of being able to adapt to whatever is put in my hand.

I will probably try a 4/8 this year just to reflect the size of my willy :D

jaycey said:
Horses for Courses, although some of the mammoth customs over an inch are expressions of a small willy size I think:)

I routinely go from 5/8-6/8-7/8-8/8 love them all, I do find a 5/8 a bit finicky after a 8/8 but I like the challenge/experience of being able to adapt to whatever is put in my hand.

I will probably try a 4/8 this year just to reflect the size of my willy :D

When I was trekking in Nepal I saw this nepali sitting on a stone wall shaving with a small hand mirror and a DE blade in his hand. No razor. I believe som lather either.

If you want to test your willy size thoroughly you could try that with an injector blade :icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

/Max

I have to admit that I bought one of the big ones. While i'm still honing it, I don't think is only to be a favorite. Even just putting an edge on it it seems mighty big and heavy! Can't see how you can do your lip with it!!

slrjona said:
Not to sound alien on here but what does the 5/8ect stand for?.What is the measurement for?.Thanks

It's the measurement in inches or part of, of the width of the blade.

ie. 5/8 is five eighths of a inch or just over half inch.

But...I have noticed some people/manufacturers measure the total width of the blade and others from the edge of the spine (Dovo)

Johnus said:
I have to admit that I bought one of the big ones. While i'm still honing it, I don't think is only to be a favorite. Even just putting an edge on it it seems mighty big and heavy! Can't see how you can do your lip with it!!

I will try to get a video this weekend of the elusive inch under the nose stroke:D

I'm afraid I like them big (too). I actually think smaller ones are harder to use (4/8 and smaller) than a 8/8. I don't have plenty, but a couple and for me it's a treat to use one, now and then. As for the old hooter - no problem, just scoop like you do for ice cream :)

I must admit that I actually quite like the look of the large blades and how rare they are.

Also, I must also admit that when commissioning my first custom razor I was torn between utility and more steel. The price difference between an 8/8 and a 5/8 is minuscule if any.

Back
Top Bottom