What's wrong with the raffle?

@grarea - brave stuff but I do this upaid in my own time! No, not easier - a hell of a lot more complicated! But I'm always open to ideas - so - please put together an a) package and we'll run it through the poll.

The saving-up-for-a big-prize idea has already been mooted, as have less expensive prizes. Fifty-nine balls will mix things up quite well, I suspect.

Plan c) already happens - Paul offered us a deal on the Feather that didn't win the poll this month, for instance. Trust me that vendors keep an eye on forums and make offers when the mood so takes them. I always ask for a deal on the prizes, also.

Thanks for your ideas! Audience participation is very much encouraged - in fact, you get points for it. Still need money to buy tickets, though!

I only had one go on the TSR raffle a couple of months ago.

I won't be having another though.

I would have a look back over the threads and see why anyone might be put off buying a ticket.
You don't usually mince your words, Vinny. What's your gripe/point/criticism?
Clearly I don't see why and that is the reason I have asked the question - I wanna find out.

Yes, I am aware that you spend a lot of time on it carl.
I was just throwing ideas out in case they hadn't been thought of before.
I am aware that I don't know what goes on, I was hoping it might simplify your world.
Better it is suggested and turned down than never mentioned in the first place.
Thank you for the effort you put into it.
It is appreciated.

I am waiting till there is one ticket left because that has to be the winner.
It may be a good idea varying the worth of prizes over raffles, and vary ticketprices with them. Or maybe somebody wants to donate or sell (at a friendlyforumprice of course) vintage stuff for a raffle. That'd be fun.
Also, I've no idea what running a forum like this would cost. So I've no idea if the chunk going to tsr is sufficient, not enough, excessive. Some feedback on that ("dudes! we covered this months bill!" or some such) may be nice.

I am waiting till there is one ticket left because that has to be the winner.
I'm not sure if Carl would be up for this, but you could try to buy (and pay for) the last number standing. I had the same idea before.
It may be a good idea varying the worth of prizes over raffles, and vary ticketprices with them. Or maybe somebody wants to donate or sell (at a friendlyforumprice of course) vintage stuff for a raffle. That'd be fun.
We did that in the June raffle. That was a lot of fun, because I won :D
Also, I've no idea what running a forum like this would cost. So I've no idea if the chunk going to tsr is sufficient, not enough, excessive. Some feedback on that ("dudes! we covered this months bill!" or some such) may be nice.
I'd be more than happy if the forum gets more than it costs to actually run it. Have a beer or a meal on me guys!! No one is getting rich by running a forum like this. I'm more than happy to pay a little bit each month in the raffle to make sure this forum is free for all. (For that I reserve the right to tell my adblocker to block the site logo and other large ads, so SWMBO can't tell, by just walking past, that I'm on that weird site again)

Thank you, Vinny.
We raffle what members suggest and prices are a consequence. We are discussing this here.
The reminders work and you only need to read the title - hardly a chore.
Riverrun has handsomely addressed your point about money going to TSR. I agree with him wholeheartedly.
We are discussing frequency here and it will change if that is what members want.
Any abusive tone is how you choose to read my encouragement.
You've already voted with your feet so I wonder why you are bothering to read and contribute to this thread.
As ever, I have the utmost respect for you, a long time and witty forum member. I feel saddened and disappointed that you don't like the raffles, your support would carry great weight.

Another possible reason for slowness of ticket sales occurs to me - September is grown-ups' playtime! Kids at school, prices have returned to normal exorbitant levels - Saga time is here again while the sun still shines a bit further south.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the raffle.

You will have slow months is all:

September: Big outlays when kids go back to school.

December: Non denomination winter festival.

March: MOT & service & tax (that may just be me though).

Maybe run cheaper tickets on expensive months?

Greg

Cheaper tickets start with cheaper suggestions for prizes. It is unusually slow this month, though - which is why I asked the question. We have been fully subscribed every month but a few tweaks can always get us closer to what people want - which changes, anyway.

Display cabinets? That's a very personal choice. I suppose we could raffle an amount of dosh to be spent on winner's choice - but that doesn't excite everyone.

Back
Top Bottom