When is a brush 'finished'?

Not intending on throwing my brush away any time soon, but I did get a new BK8 for Christmas which I have barely taken out of the box.

My previous brush has been with me around 12 years, which is a record by my standards I might add.

It is losing a few hairs here and there (it's another badger, also by Kent). You could say it is looking a little thin around the centre, although nothing compared to its owner!

What could I do with this older brush? When should it be thrown or 'retired'?

Not intending on throwing my brush away any time soon, but I did get a new BK8 for Christmas which I have barely taken out of the box.

My previous brush has been with me around 12 years, which is a record by my standards I might add.

It is losing a few hairs here and there (it's another badger, also by Kent). You could say it is looking a little thin around the centre, although nothing compared to its owner!

What could I do with this older brush? When should it be thrown or 'retired'?
If your old brush is still performing well I would do nothing, on the other hand you could if you wanted to get it re knotted and it would be like new.
If it's not broken don't fix it. :)

If your old brush is still performing well I would do nothing, on the other hand you could if you wanted to get it re knotted and it would be like new.
If it's not broken don't fix it. :)

Hmmm is re knotting something that can be done easily?

Seriously like the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" saying. I know how things could end up...!!

Hmmm is re knotting something that can be done easily?

Seriously like the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" saying. I know how things could end up...!!
If you look in the brush section of this fourm or look on YouTube you will see that re knotting a brush is not very hard to do, but if your brush is just dropping a few hairs it probably still has lots of life left in it, most of us lose a few hair's with age..Nothing to worry too much about. :)

Interesting topic,is there a shelf life so to speak for a brush? Obviously it depends how you use it and not burrow through a triple milled soap like your trying to get to the earths core,but in general i suppose it would come down to use and manufacturer,but still,every time i pick one of my brushes up it's never occurred to me.

Interesting topic,is there a shelf life so to speak for a brush? Obviously it depends how you use it and not burrow through a triple milled soap like your trying to get to the earths core,but in general i suppose it would come down to use and manufacturer,but still,every time i pick one of my brushes up it's never occurred to me.
Yes indeed, the way you use and care for your brush will affect it's shelf life and how many brushes you have, I have ten or so and therefore all will last longer because of lack of continuous use.

I think you're right in terms of how you use your brush. My father needs a new one every few years. Easy for me to get him a Christmas gift every so many years but not so good for my pocket.

As I said in my original post, my brush has lasted me a good 12 years or so and still has life in it - probably. I was just wondering, when could I say it really is finished and cannot be used any more?

I've one similar to yours in that the centre of the knot has started to "crater". I'll keep using the brush for some time, but sooner or later I'll send it for re-knotting since I like the handle. I think you'll know when your brush has reached the end of its life, whether due to performance or aesthetics.

I had a Kent T8 (sadly discontinued long ago) which I used for +/- 12 years. One day I noticed it looked a bit 'bald' in the centre... I am afraid I didn't take care of it properly... Not enough rinsing after each shave, I'm afraid... I was young and inexperienced...

Now I am more careful... all my brushes are in perfect order and condition... All the 20...

Back
Top Bottom