When to stop spending?

I've looked at expensive artisan brushes and mush admit to finding the lure of them very strong.I would love to own one but I'd rather pick a used one up for a reasonable price.

I've looked at expensive artisan brushes and mush admit to finding the lure of them very strong.I would love to own one but I'd rather pick a used one up for a reasonable price.
So much to appreciate with a high end brush. But to put it into perspective I didn't own one till using boars/mixed/synthetics/badgers for a whole year. I think this is critical when learning what you want from a high end brush, not just it's hype and price tag.

For example I learnt zero scritch was favourable from using a Plisson synthetic. The same brush confirmed I don't like large amounts of splay and Omega boars confirmed this. High levels of backbone and super soft tips led me down the path of Paladin, Simpson and Shavemac brushes amongst others. It was the latter the fulfilled everything. The Paladin Chief coming in a very close second. The next confusion arises with differences in hair batches over the years. Keeping the product constantly good is the key to a good maker IMO.

Ah now that is when it can get expensive... When you get it wrong. The thing that puts me off spending £100 on a brush is what happens when it arrives and I don't like it? I bought the cheap Simpsons Special and find it incredibly scratchy and it just doesn't want to release the lather onto my face but at only £17 it didn't break the bank. If I shift it on I'll get a tenner but I've learned to go to a shop and try one on my face next time.

Try the Vinny ( not Joe or Eduardo ) technique of thinning down the stock thru BST , from then on it's one in , one out. Although, saying that, I do beleve I read in one of his posts he might just have to rethink that policy on scents !

JohnnyO. o/

Ah now that is when it can get expensive... When you get it wrong. The thing that puts me off spending £100 on a brush is what happens when it arrives and I don't like it? I bought the cheap Simpsons Special and find it incredibly scratchy and it just doesn't want to release the lather onto my face but at only £17 it didn't break the bank. If I shift it on I'll get a tenner but I've learned to go to a shop and try one on my face next time.
This is where a group buy or LE shines. Not only are you getting a complete custom made brush as a limited edition but also at a discounted price. Add to that the dimensions, handle shape/length/aesthetics, knot types, loft etc. Basically all the hard work has been discussed, negotiated amongst several persons and set up for you. So in effect you know what you should be getting before spending.

Sad to say it, but best way to stop spending money is to leave TSR. This is a very good place to get help, but not so good at helping you stay satisfied with what you have.
I did this for a while and found I was content with my Franken razor, then I came back and, well, spent a metric shedload in a few weeks. Thankfully I have calmed down now that I have the Hone 15....... Maybe. Possibly. Well, Ok, perhaps not...

This is where a group buy or LE shines. Not only are you getting a complete custom made brush as a limited edition but also at a discounted price. Add to that the dimensions, handle shape/length/aesthetics, knot types, loft etc. Basically all the hard work has been discussed, negotiated amongst several persons and set up for you. So in effect you know what you should be getting before spending.
I'll have to look out for the next deal then mate.

Sad to say it, but best way to stop spending money is to leave TSR. This is a very good place to get help, but not so good at helping you stay satisfied with what you have.
I haven't spent a penny on shaving related stuff for four and a half months now and I certainly didn't leave TSR. You just need to be stubborn, like me. You learn to appreciate what you have. I've even learned to appreciate one of the boar brushes I own :D

I haven't spent a penny on shaving related stuff for four and a half months now and I certainly didn't leave TSR. You just need to be stubborn, like me. You learn to appreciate what you have. I've even learned to appreciate one of the boar brushes I own :D
It's often a lot harder on newbies, when you realise the panorama of possibilities - it's also when Masculine Pokemon Syndrome can kick in also known as "gotta catch 'em all".

I walked into a shaving emporium in my home town of Leeds and I was like a kid in Wonka's factory. I wanted everything but you are right it is far too easy to be swept up in it all when you are new to it. I'm learning to just be happy with what I have now and I'm determined to get the best out of it.... It's only flipping shaving and I've been at it since I was 15.

its already been said but i will repeat it-sell your stuff! unless a large collection is your aim then be firm with yourself and let the equipment that doesnt work for you go. those funds will come in handy for buying your next 'must have' but eventually you will realise that most of the razors and blades are not *that* different but some will suit more than others. you will get a small group of regulars and stop spending money.

It is cheaper in plain terms, based upon the higher end supermarket brands. The primary reason and biggest factor in this is that DE blades are so much cheaper than cartridges.

Buying just the essential supplies to keep you going (blades and soap), you can save up to £100 per year compared to buying Fusion gear. Obviously your first year will involve buying a handle and brush too. I went mad in my first year buying every cream and sample pack under the sun but over 3 years I'm well in the plus.

Or others pick it up as a hobby (restoring brushes and collecting handles etc.) in which case can you really put a price on a pastime that you enjoy? I can think of many others that are far more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom