Where to next?

Darren said:
Mikael said:
You could sign up for some of the lending pool razors and try out what you like - but I really think you should try a vintage razor at some time ...

Interesting. Do you have suggestions please? Is Ebay the place?

JohnnyO said:
A Merkur Slant or an Ever Ready single edge razor would give you a nicely different shave and razor appearance. As you mention that you're a northener & look for value I should point out the obvious by mentioning that a single edge would require you stocking 2 types of blade, as your Astras wouldn't fit.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

HI Johnny,
I is not doing single edge because I is frighky of dem. :icon_cry2:

Just a couple of "for the record" points - the lending pools are on this site, not ebay, and single-edge razors are safety razors that take single-edge blades. I suspect you may be confusing them with straight (cut-throat) razors.

Straight razor:

No_name_straight_razor.JPG

Single-edge razor:

6622964843_0658acba79_z.jpghttp:

Sorry, SE razor image not available, here's another:

DSC_1735-sm.jpg

Hi Darren in the lending pool I have a gillette flair tip and a gillette slim adjustable if you wish to get on the list then please go to the lending pool and get your name on the list. ;)

Hi chrisbell,
I had confused single edged with straight - live and learn! Thank you for your kindness.

John said:
Hi Darren in the lending pool I have a gillette flair tip and a gillette slim adjustable if you wish to get on the list then please go to the lending pool and get your name on the list. ;)

Hi John,
That's very kind of you Sir. I will have a look.

I have ordered a fatip open Comb razor and am looking hard at the other options. Thanks to everyone for their kind assistance. :)

Just to update everyone who kindly contributed to this thread I have bought (cos it was cheap and so am I) a Fatip piccolo from Shaveshack on Amazon.
It's a tiny little thing and nowhere near as well finished as the Future but by the roast it can shave.
It's hard to believe as a beginner that the same blades can shave so differently in a different razor. This little open Comb Italian shaves me really, really closely. I have to say it is top value. Now, what's next....... ;)

What about a slant? I bought a Merkur 37c at the same time as my Fatip, both are excellent but shave differently.

Or a Weber, I use the Bulldog handle on my Fatip, as I found the piccolo handle too small. So you get an excellent razor and an upgrade for the Fatip in one !

Gravy said:
What about a slant? I bought a Merkur 37c at the same time as my Fatip, both are excellent but shave differently.

Or a Weber, I use the Bulldog handle on my Fatip, as I found the piccolo handle too small. So you get an excellent razor and an upgrade for the Fatip in one !

My compliments to your enabling skills. Yeah, that guy's gotta be crazy not to buy the Weber since it's like a two for one deal!!

Good one.

Now that you know it's not an open blade ........................ somewhere out there is an elegant single edge ............................

JohnnyO. \:blush:

I don't think vintage adjustable is for you and here's my reasoning...you like your Futur and that's far more aggressive than any Fatboy slim...you're tight and aggressive, follow the path of the JohnnyO.

Cheers boys. Really appreciate your support. What I'm finding is that multiple passes make my neck increasingly tender so I like to get done in one or, at most, two passes.
The fatip seems to excel here.

Back
Top Bottom