• Imperia La Roccia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suehiro Gokumyo

• Arkansas Translucent

• Total voters
Hi all,

I am looking for a honing stone and I need your help - mainly I am thinking around 8000, but I am open to suggestions for between 6000-120000.
Important to me are, in order, keenness, maintenance, speed.
Money, as always are an issue, my budget is limited to US$160 EUR150 GBP110
To be honest, mainly I am leaning to towards one of these (in order):

Sigma Power Ceramic 8000 (or 10k, which has the advantage of a huge sharpening surface - 140mm wide)
MST Müller
Imperia La Roccia
Suehiro Gokumyo 10000
Arkansas Translucent

I am happily using for sharpening a 1000-2000-4000 sequence of Suzuki-Ya stones which replaced a combination of Naniwa Chosera (sorry - too expensive their 10k) and Shapton Pro (which I MIGHT consider for their 8k or 12k).

Thank you for your help.

Agree...
Not sure what happened to the chronological order here ... But what I was agreeing to was the purchase of an 8K. My personal preference is a dual stone 1K-8K and then a pasted strop.
(If the spirit moves me I also use a Zulu, welsh, or barber hone before the strop.)

Budgets should always be flexible :)

Seriously though if you don't want a natural stone I've never spoken to anyone who doesn't like Naniwas. Also the Norton 4K/8K combo stone is nice, or at least the 8K side is.

I can't vote in your poll as I've never used any of those stones.

I much prefer the Naniwa to the Norton. Can't comment on any of the others other than to say that Shapton do not figure highly whereas the Gokumyu I have (20k) is good.

Naniwa Specialty 10k and 12k both are well within your budget. I use a Naniwasuperstone12k, predecessor to the specialty, which I rather like. I follow with a Charnley Forest, which may be too narrow for your wishes but still recommended. The 12k and CF combined fell well within your budget.

The recommendations are leaning towards

1. Naniwa Snow White 8000
2. Naniwa SuperStone 8000
3. Arkansas Translucent
4. Yellow Coticule
5. Suehiro Gokumyo 10000

Naniwa Snow White - I am, just a little bit, doubtful about his one - I hope is different than Chosera - which I just sold - or the Superstone. Chosera & Superstone, in my setup, was slower than Sigma Power (and than Shapton Pro for harder steels only). As for wear - Chosera AND Superstone both worn more than Sigma and Shapton Pro. Performance - No complains here - both Chosera & Superstone were able to produce the keenest and smoothest edge than any other stone I ever tried.

So my basic question is - is there a stone that performs as wonderful as Chosera/SuperStone but is quicker and less dishing prone (more stable, harder)? I was hoping Suehiro Gokumyo 10000 will be the one, but, for whatever reason, there are not too many people knowing it.

I think I've seen an 8k super stone, could well be wrong though.

Interesting you say naniwas are prone to dishing, I've not found that personally.

Looks like they call it a 'specialty' stone now :)

I got the new 12000 naniwa from here, they do an 8000 in the new series. I just checked and it was £74 inc del for the 12000(20mm thick most were 10), and a quick and painless transaction(not in any way connected).

http://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/naniwa-stones.html

pugh-the-special-one said:
Yeah Naniwa do a 8K but Chosera don't. http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/searchresults.htm?query=chosera

In your opinion Jamie is the extra cost in the chosera stones worthwhile. Or is the difference negligable?

Back
Top Bottom