Which adjustable?

As a noob to DE'ing I'm still building my kit.

In terms of razors I've got a Merkur 38C (which I've used for a week, but like very much) and a Gillette Aristocrat in the post courtesy of FrenchBlade.

However, as these are both fixed heads it'd be nice to get an adjustable in my collection (for trying out later when I've got my technique down to pat).

So, any advice? In order of cost (most expensive first) my initial shortlist is:

Gillette Fatboy - £100-ish from stropshop (unless I can find one in an antique shop or that unlikely Fleabay bargain)
Mergress - £70-ish (at current exchange rates)
Progress - £40-ish

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? What do you experienced DE'ers recommend? I wouldn't say cost isn't an issue but it is, of course, a factor and if I can get an excellent experience for less then that would be very good.

Thanks all.

I tend to agree on this, fatboy is nice, but not worth the extra in my opinion.
(and I have some at less than those prices!)

You can get a nice Slim, and for a very nice example you're looking at less than any of those others on your list.

You could always get your name on the Fatboy passaround PIF list.

Max

FrenchBlade said:
I tend to agree on this, fatboy is nice, but not worth the extra in my opinion.
(and I have some at less than those prices!)

You can get a nice Slim, and for a very nice example you're looking at less than any of those others on your list.

You could always get your name on the Fatboy passaround PIF list.

Max

Do you mind sending me your list Max (as in any adjustables you have for sale) and I'll take a look.

Thanks

Go for the slim and take it from there.

I got a slim first and hated all adjustables until around 2 months ago. Once technique is mastered, adjustables are great! Othersways i found due to know knowing what your skin likes, adjustables always gave me a rough shave due to incorrect adjustment.

Arrowhead said:
What HM says. It's a close run thing but I do prefer the Slim to the Fatboy; that said I'd take an ordinary SuperSpeed in preference to either.

Andy is spot on there. Slim over a Fatboy, but for pure shave quality I would go with a SS (FT as a personal pref.).

Don't let me stop you spending your brass though, get that monkey off your back, I'll just wait here ready say... I told you so ;)

Tall_Paul said:
As a noob to DE'ing I'm still building my kit.

it'd be nice to get an adjustable in my collection (for trying out later when I've got my technique down to pat).

Hi there,

I can't speak about any of the newer adjustables (never tried any), but I'm familiar with the old Gillette types. When it comes to deciding on a Slim or Fatboy, you can't go by what other people think. The Fatboy gets more hype, but the slim is equally popular among forum members as far as performance goes. You will need to try em both at some point and see how each one fits you.

Martin

Talking about newer adjustables, don't rule out the newer super adjustables. The ones with the plastic bottom plate have superb balance. They are a really nice razor.

Dipesh said:
Talking about newer adjustables, don't rule out the newer super adjustables. The ones with the plastic bottom plate have superb balance. They are a really nice razor.

Is an example of that a Progress Dipesh?

Tall_Paul said:
Dipesh said:

Is an example of that a Progress Dipesh?

This, I think:

1976%20Super%20Adjustable%20W1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom