Which razor is the best to test your technique? The Tech?

saj

Hey so I shaved my head with the thin handle tech, BBS, comfortable quick shave with no drama or faffing around

So get me wondering what's the best razor to test out your technique?

The tech come to mind for me personally and obviously YMMV but I think I agree that if you can't get a good shave out of a tech then it's more of a technique issue, what do you guys reckon?

Hey so I shaved my head with the thin handle tech, BBS, comfortable quick shave with no drama or faffing around

The tech come to mind for me personally and obviously YMMV but I think I agree that if you can't get a good shave out of a tech then it's more of a technique issue, what do you guys reckon?

I'm a fan of the Tech as well. I think it's a great razor head, seems to work with more blades than any other razor I own. It's the razors I use to test new blades.

A Tech or a Tech or a Tech with a non Gillette handle, all will give great shaves. Everything else is just marketing fluff. Just buy a Tech.
I know this is not in the spirit of the site, I have 12 razors and I use them all but when I go back to the Tech I say to myself there you are, a spot on shave with no drama or fuss. (y) :)

Reactions: saj
I'm a fan of the Tech as well. I think it's a great razor head, seems to work with more blades than any other razor I own. It's the razors I use to test new blades.
Yea I think I need to show my techs more love lol

I think the tech is the best benchmark razor to test any blades or soaps etc

I want to get the fat handle tech hopefully but i think that's the bottom tech, right?

A Tech or a Tech or a Tech with a non Gillette handle, all will give great shaves. Everything else is just marketing fluff. Just buy a Tech.
I know this is not in the spirit of the site, I have 12 razors and I use them all but when I go back to the Tech I say to myself there you are, a spot on shave with no drama or fuss. (y) :)
Yea it's like a forgiving razor too which means you can be quicker then usual and get a comfortable shave too

Yea I think I need to show my techs more love lol

I think the tech is the best benchmark razor to test any blades or soaps etc

I want to get the fat handle tech hopefully but i think that's the bottom tech, right?

Hmm, I'm not sure tbh. My fat handle Tech has triangular slots on the baseplate. I have another one which has a flat bottom baseplate. I think they shave exactly the same, ie beautifully.

I think the thin handle Tech you have is a flat bottom, which is a wonderful razor head in the shave.

Interesting, I took a different tack to the question. I took it to mean what razor tests my technique, as in which one do you need to maintain nigh on perfect technique to either

a) not do yourself in or
b) one in which you need to be almost perfect to get the desired finish as the bugger is so fickle that any deviation from perfection leads to a less than stellar finish

For a) I'm torn, either the stirling hyper aggressive, or the R41 titanium. I lean to the latter, for me it required a very light touch which I struggled with paired with the aggression, required absolute concentration for me.

For b) Oddly I would say the ATT G1, it was possible to get a very smooth finish but I only rarely found it (I say odd as in theory with a GEM the angle should be easy to find).

I may be answering my own interpretation of the question but it actually got me thinking so thank you.

Interesting, I took a different tack to the question. I took it to mean what razor tests my technique, as in which one do you need to maintain nigh on perfect technique to either

a) not do yourself in or
b) one in which you need to be almost perfect to get the desired finish as the bugger is so fickle that any deviation from perfection leads to a less than stellar finish

For a) I'm torn, either the stirling hyper aggressive, or the R41 titanium. I lean to the latter, for me it required a very light touch which I struggled with paired with the aggression, required absolute concentration for me.

For b) Oddly I would say the ATT G1, it was possible to get a very smooth finish but I only rarely found it (I say odd as in theory with a GEM the angle should be easy to find).

I may be answering my own interpretation of the question but it actually got me thinking so thank you.
Interesting take, not sure if technique means concentration to me as for personally I like to grab any razor and just be like second nature with it, without a thought

I do use two razors within the same shaving session and I think that's helped my technique as it could be two today different razors so switching you just need to instantly remember what yo do without thinking of it, so to speak

R41 is an amazing comfortable razor even with a feather de razor

I interpreted the question exactly how Marc did. If a razor is to really test how good your technique is, then it should be so aggressive as to require the lightest pressure, and/or have such a narrow sweet spot as to force you to get the angle right. A forgiving razor will not test your technique, but rather accommodate the lack of it. Although you could interpret it to mean a razor that is so forgiving that if you get a bad shave then you must be doing it wrong. How easy it is to interpret something from two completely different ends!

Fwiw I think the Tech is a fairly forgiving and well designed razor but still capable of punishing mistakes. It's not a Wilkie Classic.

I've seen this debate many times.

Camp 1- If your technique is down you can use a mild razor like a tech and get a BBS shave.

Camp 2 - If your technique is down you can use an ultra aggressive razor and get a drama free BBS shave.

My feelings - If your technique is down you can switch out and use any razor and get a drama free BBS shave.

YMMV :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom