Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Duke 3

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
antdad said:
Tall_Paul said:
So the common consensus is for a Duke 2 or 3 then?

There is a limited edition Duke 2 in super on the Simpsons website. Do you reckon it's worth the extra or just go for best and bank the saving (also no discount on the Simpsons site!)

Precisely, I thought the D2 a bit insufficient and Super hair (unless its 2 band) a bit unnecessary in comparison. Duke 3 in Best, K might have something to say about the loft as you might want something less than the standard 50mm depending on your style. Best hair (last time I felt some) is extremely soft so you need the density and or reduction in loft for a decent face feel, you compromise "flow through" but that's the price you pay for a facial.

Good points there IMO. I had to learn that the hard way by trying a fair few brushes.

My duke has a 49/50mm loft, it's quite a nice balance of backbone, face feel and flow through.

The best hair one is a funny one, I've had some brushes that best is softer than super, super more scratchy than best.

I guess it just depends on your batch.

Then there's super 2 band. My brush is brilliant. It just kills soap, this makes it easier to get a good lather in my experience.

I take it to get a Duke 3 in 2 band I'd have to email Simpsons and ask for a custom made one? Are they reasonably priced or are we looking at 150 quid ish?

Hmm. That is more than double than my most expensive brush to date!!

My birthday isn't until December so I'll decide nearer the time.

This has been very enlightening though. Thanks all.

Duke 3 in Best is as good as just about any brush you can get. With a 10% discount available to TSR members it should be less than £70 from Diamond Edge. If you have to pay nearly double for a two band it would just not be worth the extra money.

Tall_Paul said:
I take it to get a Duke 3 in 2 band I'd have to email Simpsons and ask for a custom made one? Are they reasonably priced or are we looking at 150 quid ish?

I have a feeling Simpson shut the door on non standard combinations right after I received mine because they were getting inundated with daft requests like a Wee Scott in 2 band but you can only ask.

If not as Fido says you can't get much better than D3 in Best.

Wasup RTB, we were just chewing the cud about handle styles and hair type, have a look at the Simpson site and all will be clear(ish).

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/shop.html

Dipesh said:
I'd say Duke 3. More flexible than a chubby IMO.

I have a ch1 in best, ch2 in 2 band super and the duke. The Chubby's are quite an acquired tasted I'd say where as the duke is more balanced.

Hope that makes sense!

I want to try a 2 band tulip next, we shall see how that plan goes soon!
i know bigger brush need to use more product for lathering.
may i know how much more product will Ch2 in 2 band use comparing to duke 3 and Ch1?
thanks.

To be honest, I use soaps a fair bit. This makes it harder to tell how much your using, also I'm not to bothered so another reason why I wont notice either.

Sorry I can be of much help with that question!

I think a bigger thief is how hard the water is in your area. For me a 10-15 sec load gives more than I can use in three passes (often it's enough for two persons - our boy doesn't shave often, but it's allways enouh for him aswell), with all my bruhses (except for the Polo 14, wich really needs tons of product). And I think my two band Chubby 3 eats less soap than my three banded Chubby 2 (it's more of fan type and therefor prob a bigger spender/thief).

The denser the brush, especially finer gauge hair - Simpsons Best, Super 3 band, Rooney finest....the more you have to load it. Its a good excuse for using soaps faster lol

thanks for all the replies.
i got a Duke 3 and thinking of trying a Ch1 or Ch2 in 2 band.
my concerns are the Ch1 handle is a tad short, Ch2 2 band might too big in size and use up lot of product.
i know 2 band wont bloom and splay like 3 band. if both with lather, how the Ch2 2 band size feel on face comparing to Duke 3 in full bloom for face lathering?
thanks.

I have a Duke#2, a Chubby#1 super two band and a chubby#2 super.

Regarding the Duke vs the Chubbies :

The Duke is a great all rounder, dense enough to provide a slight noticeable backbone but with enough flow throw for bowl lathering.
The Chubby is not slightly denser than the Duke, it is extra dense almost as dense as a knot can be. On the first uses the loft seems to be almost rigid then it get softer. The obvious consequence is that the brush is a lather hog. For me it is impossible to bowl lather with a chubby but once properly loaded it is a dream for face lathering.

Regarding the Simspon hair grades :

Best is soft on the skin very close in feeling to standard silver tip from other brands. Truth be told, I think a standard silver tip is more efficient to create lather but not enough to create a tangible difference in the use (a matter of a few more swirl you have to do with the Simpson).

Regarding the regular super badger, my experience is based on my Chubby#2. It is commonly stated that it is sightly softer or "more luxurious". My feeling is that on the contrary it is less soft. Furthermore it is probably denser than the same knot in best.
The result makes for a brush neither soft nor rough that provides a responsive facial massage while the best is more tender. I like that Chubby#2 super very much.
The tips seems a little whiter (maybe it is due to the extra density).

Two band : The best two band hair I have used so far (I own a Shavemac D01, Semogue Caravella and Rooney heritage). It is extremely soft and have an incredible backbone on the Chubby line. I guess this is due to the tips being way thiner than those of the other brands i own.
The Chubby two band loft is bulbous, a very pointy bulb which reinforce the backbone. The loft have almost no bloom so it feels very small on the face. The 23mm knot of the Chubby#1 feels like a 20mm one. A fantastic brush due to this combination between extra density and this soft tipped two band hair.
I think the Chubby#2 two band might be very close to the hubby#1.5 many look after : The substantial handle of the #2 and a 26 mm loft that feels like a 23mm. Yet, it is a lather hog so beware if you are willing to bowl lather.

All the options works well, it is just that some are more expensive. Not that they are better but they just provide a different feel. Up to you to decide whether you are willing to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom