Which wood for a bottle stopper?

Probably one for Henk, Beej or Arrowhead, but feel free to all chip in....

I've got a nice glass bottle that I'm turning into a decanter and wanted to make a fancier stopper. I don't really like the look of the metal stoppers you can buy so was going to turn one. Ideally I'd like it to be all wood, but am concerned that an overly porous or fragrant timber might tainted the scotch/port that will be housed.

Was thinking maybe Olive? Anyone got an opinion?

Olive should be Ok or olive ash, fiddleback or quilted maple, beech etc would all be ok.
Bottle stoppers are often segmented with contrasting timbers,(food for thought) ? vertical or diagonal segments look good.
Be careful not to have the fit too tight as it'll swell,, saves the good Scotch going down to quicly mind you :)

Ive got some stunning quilted maple arriving later this week which I'll cut for brushes and your welcome to a piece for your stopper if you want it.
Let me know.
regards, beejay

It's good to know that within a few minutes of posting on TSR I can get honest, accurate advice from people who know their stuff.

Jedwood it is, thanks Tony.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beej - the maple sounds perfect, if you do have a small chunk going spare drop me a PM - I'd be very grateful! I think that making the stopper a gentle cone shape might be the best way forward, that way if it expands of shrinks it should still be use-able.

neocaligatio said:
Probably one for Henk, Beej or Arrowhead, but feel free to all chip in....

I've got a nice glass bottle that I'm turning into a decanter and wanted to make a fancier stopper. I don't really like the look of the metal stoppers you can buy so was going to turn one. Ideally I'd like it to be all wood, but am concerned that an overly porous or fragrant timber might tainted the scotch/port that will be housed.

Natalie Wood; Doesn't mix well with water. :oops:

hunnymonster said:
neocaligatio said:

I've just reviewed 33 bottles of whisky (and whiskey) and the commercial answer would appear to be cork :D

But would he not get funny looks walking about all day with his co.......Ahh you said cork.

My vote would go lignum vitie very hard and good water resistance.

Well, I was thinking sycamore because it's considered eminently food safe and non-tainting, but maple's the same stuff, near as dammit. On the whole, I think HM has hit the nail firmly on the head though: a cork. Why not epoxy one to a bit of whatever you fancy?

My main concern was passing the cork between a decanter full of port and then onto Scotch - wouldn't want a sticky purple cork going into a freshly decanted Scotch...

Back
Top Bottom