Who could turn a wooden Tabac lid?

The Tabac experience has to be is one of the best out there (YMMV).
Great lather, great scent, great bowl... but crap plastic lid. It's too light and as a result tends to get knocked off easily.

I was thinking if only the lid were made of a dark, heavy wood the Tabac experience would be faultless. So my question is: Do any gents out there have the wood turning skills to create a wooden lid to replace the plastic one?

Looking at the lid it looks like a simple affair; a circular disk with a smaller diameter inner disk on the underside to fit inside the bowl's rim. I'm guessing this is a simple thing to do on a lathe, but it's way beyond my skills.

So if there are any takers let me know how much it would cost etc.

Anyone else interested in a wooden lid?

This talk of lids reminds of An 85-year-old man was requested by his Doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, 'Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow.'

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked what happened and the man explained, 'Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. 'Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing. She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing.

'We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing.'

The doctor was shocked! 'You asked your neighbor?'

The old man replied, 'Yep, none of us could get the Lid off the jar .'

@Johnus - Looool

Back on topic, the Tabac lid seems to be loose on purpose with it leaving adequate gaps for the soap to 'breath', meaning it dries quickly and doesn't get covered in... fluffy bacteria!

Are you really sure you want a wooden lid? It will get damp on the underside and won't allow your soap to air. It's your call I suppose but wood does look better than plastic I have to say.

rum said:
Are you really sure you want a wooden lid? It will get damp on the underside and won't allow your soap to air.

There must be literally thousand of wooden bowls and lids that don't suffer - you sold a perfectly good Creed one to me!!

I think a dark wood - Ebony say - would look really good. If youv'e ever tried working Ebony you would know that it would take a lot to rot that stuff.

@Johnus - good joke - it certainly got me.

rum said:
@Johnus - Looool

Back on topic, the Tabac lid seems to be loose on purpose with it leaving adequate gaps for the soap to 'breath', meaning it dries quickly and doesn't get covered in... fluffy bacteria!

Are you really sure you want a wooden lid? It will get damp on the underside and won't allow your soap to air. It's your call I suppose but wood does look better than plastic I have to say.
I'm not sure if the plastic "loose" lid allows any circulation. Although the plastic lid is very light it seems to make a pretty much airtight seal around the rim. The issue I have with it is that it is easy to knock off when moving the tub. I don't get any fluffy bacteria on my airtight TOBS tubs, so I don't see Tabac as any different. Surely the Tabac scent is strong enough to ward off any naughty bacteria!

I was thinking that a treated wood would be resistant to the damp.

Al H said:
ive got three jars, and the lid is fine, IMO

i like the sound it makes when you put it on
Wow, 3 jars, Tabacaddict. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the plastic lid has a clinky-clanky sound, like a child's toy tea-set. Wouldn't it be nice to have woody clonk sound?

Gecko said:
I do a spot of wood turning. If the other posts haven't dissuaded you, PM me and we can discuss details
No, still not dissuaded. I was thinking I wouldn't get any responses (apart from Johnus's joke, which did make me laugh). It's interesting to get others' thoughts on the subject, and some good points were made.

PM on its way.

UKRob said:
There must be literally thousand of wooden bowls and lids that don't suffer - you sold a perfectly good Creed one to me!!

I think a dark wood - Ebony say - would look really good. If youv'e ever tried working Ebony you would know that it would take a lot to rot that stuff.

fancontroller said:
I'm not sure if the plastic "loose" lid allows any circulation. Although the plastic lid is very light it seems to make a pretty much airtight seal around the rim. The issue I have with it is that it is easy to knock off when moving the tub. I don't get any fluffy bacteria on my airtight TOBS tubs, so I don't see Tabac as any different. Surely the Tabac scent is strong enough to ward off any naughty bacteria!

I was thinking that a treated wood would be resistant to the damp.

You are both right about the wooden lids - but I have to disagree with those wooden bowls and lids already mentioned that they are 'airtight'. Granted, they cover the bowls more or less perfectly, but the lid is still loose on top and the lack of any (rubber) ring around the top or a screw-thread top suggests to me that this is far from airtight. I don't claim to be an expert on this, but that's what I was getting at above in my previous post.

I suppose if you leave your soap to dry before covering it and making sure you wipe clean the lid, outside of the bowl and around the rim, you minimise the risk of any stuff 'growing' on your soap! It's a good habit to get into, as I'm sure all if not most of you already do.

It turned out (no pun intended) that the easiest way to make a wooden lid for someone else was to buy a jar of Tabac myself and use it as a template (great excuse for buying stuff)

When I received my jar through the post there was no surprise as to what the parcel contained as a quick shake revealed a plasticky clunking sound. The new lid, made out of Zebrano, is a huge improvement and really finishes off the product presentation.

I've made the lid slightly taller as it is easier to get a hold of and the extra weight is more satisfying. The jar was not round, but careful adjustment of the lid size on the lathe means that with a quarter turn it fits nice and snug.

Pleased with the result, now I need to try the soap.

[attachment=8690][attachment=8687][attachment=8688][attachment=8689]

Attachments

• Tabac 2 S.jpg
    Tabac 2 S.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Tabac 3 S.jpg
    Tabac 3 S.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Tabac 4 S.jpg
    Tabac 4 S.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 102
  • tabac 1s.jpg
    tabac 1s.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 121
By gum, there are some talented people on this forum!

Gecko, your lid design looks absolutely smashing and some pretty good photos too. Surely no-one can argue that the wooden lid isn't far superior to the plastic one.

The sad part of the photo is that the soap is untouched, so far. Get stuck in and lather it up good style.

Top marks.

Gecko said:
GorbalsRazor said:
Looks good boss, did you finish it with CA or melamine?

Boiled linseed oil and CA. It has a nice satin finish but I think I'll give it a coat, or two, of melamine to make it nice and shiney.

I haven't forgotten about your brush :blush:

Oooh! A composite finish, you're getting experimental.

Back
Top Bottom