Who could turn a wooden Tabac lid?

Gecko they are brilliant

slightly off topic

ive got three of these jars i use for various soaps, only one has tabac in.

would anyone know how i can get the printed writing off returning it to an original white bowl

Al H said:
Gecko they are brilliant

slightly off topic

would anyone know how i can get the printed writing off returning it to an original white bowl

You could try white spirits to start with. Alternatively, some fine wet and dry paper then going back up the grits till you get back to the original level of surface polish.

I've really no idea if this would work but I guess there are plenty of replacements if it doesn't turn out.

fantastic job Gecko.

this forum really is full of creative people

edit to add - interesting alternative on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOVELY-OLD-FRENCH-WOODEN-TABAC-TOBACCO-JAR-POT-/231070016812?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item35ccd8a52c#ht_150wt_904

Al H said:
Gecko they are brilliant

slightly off topic

Unfortunately it looks like there is a glaze over the top of the writing. I've tried sanding it but it doesn't budge.

A wee gentle rub with some nitromors?

A lovely lid, Gecko. Zebrano is such a pretty wood and your design is perfect for the jar. The Bloodwood on the one you did for FC is a beaut an'all.

I was sceptical about it further up in this thread, but I have to say that looks amazing.

Your going to get quite a few more requests, Gecko, so I hope you have some more wood hanging around!!

Gecko said:
It turned out (no pun intended) that the easiest way to make a wooden lid for someone else was to buy a jar of Tabac myself and use it as a template (great excuse for buying stuff)

When I received my jar through the post there was no surprise as to what the parcel contained as a quick shake revealed a plasticky clunking sound. The new lid, made out of Zebrano, is a huge improvement and really finishes off the product presentation.

I've made the lid slightly taller as it is easier to get a hold of and the extra weight is more satisfying. The jar was not round, but careful adjustment of the lid size on the lathe means that with a quarter turn it fits nice and snug.

Pleased with the result, now I need to try the soap.

Gecko, when I first saw this WOW what can I say (Beautiful) workmanship...........

And then I saw photograph No3 why !!!! I was drawn too this. As I really do like the idea if you could reverse i.e. make this the outside look, sightly bigger handle.

Great work.

Charles U.K

GorbalsRazor said:
rum said:
Your going to get quite a few more requests, Gecko, so I hope you have some more wood hanging around!!

Ha! He's got wood acquisition disorder. There's plenty of wood.

WAD... lol, that's all we need before Christmas!! As if RAD, SAD and CAD wasn't enough....!!! :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom