Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

I look forward to reading about your thoughts after some back to back shaving with the old and the new MWF?
I've just thought, can it still be called Mitchell's Wool Fat because without the tallow all you have is lanolin which is a wax not a fat!

Paul.
I think "wool fat" does actually refer to the lanolin even though, as you rightly say, it's a wax. Think it's just like an old fashioned, country term for lanolin.

I'm not sure how I feel about the use of palm oil.
If every soap manufacturer switches to palm oil, demand will increase and more of the rain forest will get chopped.

I imagine the amount of palm oil used for soaps might pale in insignificance when it comes to it's use in food. It's possible to avoid using palm oil for shaving soaps or beauty products. A quick look at some items in my shopping basket, things like bread, margarine, chocolate spread, peanut butter, and so on all contain palm oil.

I made a trip to Malaysia about 15 years ago and just seeing huge expanses of the country, just filled with one type of tree. It was incredibly depressing. I imagine a few years before that they were jungles, now cleared for the agriculture of one just one plant.

Paul, do you know of this company?

They make soap bases from West Yorkshire, and would be close to Mitchells. Just to speculate, I imagine the price of tallow noodles used for the manufacture of soaps has risen, purely down to meat prices have shot through the roof over the last year or so. The price of the MWF has remained the same. Another presumption, but I presume Palm Oil prices have also risen but not to the extent of Tallow prices, which might explain shifting over to Palm Oil.

Can ANYONE name just one REFORMULATED shaving soap that was better after losing the tallow? I can't and neither can anyone else ( not institutionalized).
Haslinger (coconut, not palm) is reported to be the equal of the tallow formula. It's the only one I can think of, offhand. It's not reported to be 'better,' though.

Last edited:
This might be as good as but I myself wouldn't consider it to be better than the tallow version. I find the most recent formulation to be very good though.
I don't have a tallow LEA but I do have a VieLong (same formula) and often used them back-to-back. Enirely subjective ... depends on your personal criteria.

I think I'd still say LEA is more MWF (Classic) than the new MWF! Dunno. Have to do some/more back-to-backs ...

I had the first LEA reformation and it was shite, foamy, bubbly crap. I understand there has been a subsequent re formulation which is considerably better. Can’t for one minute believe it’s the equal of the original tallow version.

Don‘t get me started on the Speick reformulation.

Last edited:
LEA Tallow (Grey Base)
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Lanolin, Parfum, Cocamide DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide

Vie-Long Tallow (Grey Base)
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Lanolin, Parfum, Cocamine DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate & Sodium Hydroxide

LEA Reformulation (Blue Base) < the "crap one" :poop:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Cocamide DEA, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Parfum, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Potassium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool, Limolene

LEA Veg (Blue Base w/Red Dot) < Current
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Cocamide DEA, Coconut Acid, Partfum (Marine Scent), Titanium Dioxide, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lanalool, Linonene

MWF Veg < just for fun, compare with the "crap one" o_O
Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentesodium Pentetate, Sodium Gluconate, Tetrasodium EDTA & Limonene

... and Speick

Spieck Tallow < bears a reasonable resemblance to the LEA tallow formulation ... and Tabac tallow (below)
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum, Glycerin, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI 15850:1, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool

Speick Veg < bears a reasonable resemblance to the (new) Tabac formulation
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragrance), Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Herb Oil, Lauric Acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool, Limonene, Eugenol, CI 15850 (Pigment Red 57)

Tabac Tallow
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Parfum, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, AlphaIsomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Iso-Eugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral & Eugenol

Tabac Veg
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum, Lauric Acid, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, CI 77891, Isoeugenol, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol

Last edited:
If a stearate isn't one of the first two ingredients, it's almost certainly going to be a **** shaving soap. I don't have to try the soap to know that. That goes for any shaving soap, veg or tallow.

Edit: To clarify, the soap might still be usable, but it won't be a 'superior' or 'first class' shave soap.

Back
Top Bottom