Why a £200 razor?

I thought this thread would end with something along the lines of "because that's how I want to spend my money" and that is fine. I was wondering if there was something important that I'm missing about the expensive razors.
Yes, for me it is the feeling you get when you use one of these finely crafted razors, much like the feeling you get when you buy and wear a finely crafted hand made pair of boots / shoes or the feeling when you eat fillet steak cooked to perfection over a Big Mac or any other fast food .
A budget car will get you from a to b but I would enjoy the ride in a top end car a lot more. It's not about willy waving or anything like that it's just "that feeling" you get when you know you are using the best of the best. I have never asked anyone why are you using that sub £40 razor because it is their choice and if they are happy with it that's great.
I have some cheaper razors and I have some that are not so cheap, I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

When it comes to safety razors, I have had (and sold) at some point, a great many of the more expensive ones: Wolfman, ATTs, Ikons, Blackbirds, Mongoose etc. I shave mostly with Feather AC style or straight razors now, but I have three safety razors I still use: a Supply Provision I think I paid less than $70 for, a Colonial General that was about $50, and a Schick E2 that was $10. They simply give me a better shave.

I am the first person to stick up for a guy wanting to have a nice collection, or simply a prized razor, but I will also be right there to say that most of them (nearly all) don't do any better of a job for me than my $10 E2.

When it comes to safety razors, I have had (and sold) at some point, a great many of the more expensive ones: Wolfman, ATTs, Ikons, Blackbirds, Mongoose etc. I shave mostly with Feather AC style or straight razors now, but I have three safety razors I still use: a Supply Provision I think I paid less than $70 for, a Colonial General that was about $50, and a Schick E2 that was $10. They simply give me a better shave.

I am the first person to stick up for a guy wanting to have a nice collection, or simply a prized razor, but I will also be right there to say that most of them (nearly all) don't do any better of a job for me than my $10 E2.
It's not about the performance of the razor, it's about the quality of materials , the hand finnished aspect of quality goods be it razors, boots or anything else that has a premium price tag.
I feel sometimes that if you own an expensive razor that you will be knocked because of it, live and let live ,be happy with what you have and above all respect other people's choices. :) that ends the sermon for today :)

Most of the £200 razors are exquisitely finished & even at mates rates you couldn't get close to that.
CNC time is at least £50 an hour( if you shop around & waaay more if you only want a 1-off) + set up charge. Don't ignore the design time, the shop will only work from a CAD file, hours of fun (there are open source tools if you are not a business, easy to spend a couple of grand on the design SW otherwise).
Get that wrong & break the tool, £200 will suddenly seem like terrific value.
Then it needs to be tumbled or polished, don't know anyone that will do that for free
etc.
If you have an existing business making parts for some other supporting industry then making razors could be a nice side line, not much more.
Don't forget that £200 includes sales tax and in most cases a resellers margin. I think most artisan producers of razors do it because they have an interest not for the yacht + race horse.

Will it shave better than a DE89? Probably not!
I quite agree :)

An economist would talk to you about diminishing marginal utility, value-perception, and niche marketing, among other things. Ultimately though, it's about how you feel owning a £200 razor. It's not going to shave four times better than a £50 razor, but if you get the equivalent amount of pleasure from using it, admiring its design and build quality, knowing you're part of an exclusive set of owners, then you're getting £200 worth of value from it.

And so long as you're not indulging in the shaving equivalent of burning a £50 note under a tramp's nose, then it's nobody's business but your own.

Back
Top Bottom